PDA

View Full Version : my new invention and some other pics

rickinmi
10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
The boom saw in the pic is something that i designed and built. I am not sure if anyone produces a saw simialar or not but I built my own instead. It works great!

PearceLawn
10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
That looks sweet!! If it works good I would get a patent on it. Best of luck!!

CAT powered
10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Looks effective. One question I have is how do you transport it? And how are you transferring power to the saw blade? Hydraulic lines run all the way down?

TomberLawn
10-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I've seen something similar to that. I think the power company, or a subcontracted tree care company, had one of those mounted on a something like a Timber Jack. Might have been overkill, but it looked cool anyway.

old oak lawn
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
seen one on a off road only f700 made to cut around power lines. to make your own you did very good.

AJ Lawnscapes
10-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Does it rotate?

Patent it and market it!

TomberLawn
10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Here's what I was talking about

02DURAMAX
10-01-2008, 11:17 PM
The boom saw in the pic is something that i designed and built. I am not sure if anyone produces a saw simialar or not but I built my own instead. It works great!

looks Good!!

Do you get any Kick back at all?

deere615
10-01-2008, 11:18 PM
That thing is pretty neat, Sweet skidsteer too!

rickinmi
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks to all that have looked. I do have hydraulic lines running the lenght of the boom to power the saw, I also have a electric controlled diverter valve to operate a hydraulic cylinder that gives it 15 degrees of tilt in each direction to compensate for working on side-hills. The saw operates on low flow hydraulics and spins at about 2200 rpm. It is a 26" carbide tipped sawblade that I purchased from ebay for about $30. I have thought about a patent but not sure what all is involved in all of that. As for transporting it, I can set it on the trailer next to the machine and still be just under legal width.

rickinmi
10-01-2008, 11:27 PM
The Jarraff pictured above is kinda what I was simulating, however I have about
$5,000 invested as opposed to several hundred thousand. On the other hand Jarraffs reach about 70' and I can only reach about 35'. Also I get virtually no kick back, the blade turns fast enough that I can cut limbs as fast as I can move the machine.

P.Services
10-01-2008, 11:28 PM
you should make one that is telescopic.

i know where i have seen your machine before, we will see if anyone else recognizes it.

i also have a ct332 just like yours, tinted windows and all.

have you ever used a bradco root rake?

rickinmi
10-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Picasso, It does look famialar doesnt it. And no I have not used a Bradco root rake, the one that I have I purchased for $2,800, it was barely used and I wasnt sure if ti was a fair price or not but I decided to buy it any, one of the few spontaneous decisions I have made.

rickinmi
10-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Picasso, one more thing, have you been pleased with your ct332? I am for the most part but overheating has been an issue while working with it down here in the florida heat. Damn its hot here, I need to go back north!

P.Services
10-01-2008, 11:35 PM
i own one and if your ever around linden come on by and you can use it. im telling you this thing is soo nice and soo well built. i bought it used also and paid around 3k.

rickinmi
10-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Does it have indiviual grapples? And Linden is near Flint right?

Kennedy Landscaping
10-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Looks pretty neat. Do you have any problems with it taking weight off the back end when fully extended like that? Or does the engine pretty much counter-act that effect?

P.Services
10-01-2008, 11:45 PM
yeah just south of flint. no one soild grapple but it has never been a problem for grabbing anything.

mine isnt a hiflow so i dont have my hydros overheating nor have i had the engine over heat. i havent had it to long but i just put new tracks on it. a dealer on this site can get you great prices if you ever need some.

i have some pictures of the bradco grapple on hear somewhere.

rickinmi
10-01-2008, 11:45 PM
I was very pleased that the machine stays very stable even with the length of the saw, John Deeres also have a wide stance which I am sure helps with stabillity. I havent had the oportunity to use it on very much uneven ground yet, but I am looking forward to it.

P.Services
10-01-2008, 11:48 PM
check out page 12 on the link to my equipment.

rickinmi
10-01-2008, 11:58 PM
that does look like a well built grapple, I wasnt sure if I was going in the right direction buying one with 2 independent grapples or if one was better, but I am pleased with it so far. If you handle alot of logs, brush, etc. you may want to look at grapples at www.ryansequip.com this company makes incredible attachments. They have rotating grapples there with winches mounted on them for hard to reach logs and such. Also they are manufactured right in Michigan.

P.Services
10-02-2008, 12:01 AM
yeah i have looked at ryans stuff. (where i saw your machine) i am thinking about getting a tree shear without the buncher on it. then i can cut the tree and use the grapple to remove them.

do you do alot of tree work and landclearing?

rickinmi
10-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Is my machine on their website now? Don Ryan the owner is a great guy that is upfront and honest. I primarily do mulching work, right now I am in florida doing a job for the Army Core of Engineers. But I am willilng to do any kind of work that comes my way. The tree shears are great! If you look at the pics I posted on page one that pile of trees was cut in about 15 minutes. It was the first time I had ever used the shear. Also Ryan's makes a saw type cutting head as opposed to the shear but it needs Hi-flow to operate. You will be surprised at how stable your machine will feel carrying trees with the shear if you try one with the buncher, I thought I would be holding on for dear life but it feels very comfortable.

P.Services
10-02-2008, 12:13 AM
yeah those deeres are stable, mine has counter weights on it so it holds even better. your machine isnt on the website but its always in magazines i get.

what do you use for grinding?

lang landclearing just did a little job in fenton, i watched there custom maid grinder work.

STIHL GUY
10-02-2008, 12:15 AM
looks cool

rickinmi
10-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Im famous? just kidding. Ryan's has built a mulching head also, that I use. I am very happy with it so far. What do Langs use for a custom grinder?

rickinmi
10-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks! I am very pleased with it, maybe a maket will develop? just kidding

P.Services
10-02-2008, 12:22 AM
do you use it on a low flo or hi flow machine?

langs uses this machine they build..

http://www.langtool.com/stumpgrinder.html

rickinmi
10-02-2008, 12:25 AM
the mulching head is used on hi-flow and the saw is used on low flow. That looks like quite a stump grinder! Was it as impressive to watch as it is to look at?

P.Services
10-02-2008, 12:29 AM
to tell you the truth no, it was kinda slow. i talked to the guy for about three hours about the machine before it showed up and he made it sound like it was going to blow through a 24'' oak stump in five seconds. well it didnt, it took a long time and he kept lifting the head to let it speed back up and then grind again. i did the job but i dont think its a one of a kind machine.

i would like to try out one of the new fecon chipper heads they look awsome if you keep it out of the rocks.

rickinmi
10-02-2008, 12:34 AM
I didnt even know that fecon had came out with a new head, now I will have to check it out. The Ryan's head that I use is pictured in a thread called "FAE or Magnum mulching head?" on page eleven if you want to see it. I cant put a pic of it on here for some reason.

mr mow
10-02-2008, 05:11 AM
maybe you guys should call eachother and set up a date! ha ha! just kidding. looks bad ass! think i could hook something like that up to my stander? always having to duck out of the way of branches...only like 6-8' or so long! jk but that would rock!

AJ Lawnscapes
10-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Talk to an Attorney.

There is money in your design, you better get to it or someone else will

rickinmi
10-02-2008, 03:02 PM
AJ Lawnscapes, I may speak to an attorney about it and see how I would go about pursuing the possibillity of producing more of the saws similiar to what I have made. Of course like anything the first one has room for improvement, but I think the improvements would be minor. Thanks for the encouragement!

P.Services
10-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I didnt even know that fecon had came out with a new head, now I will have to check it out. The Ryan's head that I use is pictured in a thread called "FAE or Magnum mulching head?" on page eleven if you want to see it. I cant put a pic of it on here for some reason.

its not a new head just a new tooth.

Boycea
10-02-2008, 10:17 PM

Might want to consider a front cage over that glass incase a limb came crashing through.

rickinmi
10-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Boycea, Thanks for the tip, however all the limbs and falling debris seems to fall out in front of the machine. I just make sure to keep the saw a good distnance in front of the machine when using it. The idea of a cage is however a good thing to keep in mind.

fool32696
10-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Could always just do a poor man's patent. From what I understand they hold up in court. Take some pictures, sketch out the design on paper and explain the design in words. Then seal it in an envelope and send it certified mail to yourself and never open it.