PDA

View Full Version : season comming to an early end

Sweet Tater
10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Man with temps at night down in the low 50s and now 40's for the next week the grass has already started slowing down. 2 customers today asked me to take them off scedule and put them on "will call"
This is going to put a crimp in my Christmas money :(

MileHigh
10-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I hear ya boss..

I've gotten plenty of those already.

railman
10-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I got a couple of those today too. "I will call you". its slowing down for me too. glad I started saving up for x mas early.

dura to the max
10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
i said this last week, and no-one listened...

STIHL GUY
10-01-2008, 10:31 PM
it rained all weekend and it has rained the last couple days and i cant keep up. Hopefully the season doesnt end too soon

Sweet Tater
10-03-2008, 10:21 AM
it rained all weekend and it has rained the last couple days and i cant keep up. Hopefully the season doesnt end too soon

Must be nice. It hasn't reained here in a lil oer a month, of course that isn't helping either. Hope you have a good long season.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Must be nice. It hasn't reained here in a lil oer a month, of course that isn't helping either. Hope you have a good long season.

Thats the difference between you warm season grass guys and us cool season grass guys. Here, it has still been fairly dry BUT daytime highs now in the 60's and nighttime lows in the low 40's, the turf has really picked up a bit for a nice late season mowing run. A little rain sprinkled in and that should set me up until Halloween.

corey4671
10-03-2008, 12:28 PM
do any of you guys here in the south have any luck overseeding with rye? I haven't mowed anything all week and next week is looking doubtful....

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 02:15 PM
i think its still a little early here for rye, but you should be able to pretty soon since you're north of me.

robbo521
10-03-2008, 02:22 PM
its way to dry here.we have not had rain in over two months.it is going to warm back up next week and a small chance of rain i will cut some more.no big deal.

fool32696
10-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Slowing down here, but got 90% of my clients to go monthly in the spring. I'll be getting paid all winter. I usually overseed rye into November here in North Central Florida. I'm sure you can get away with a month early being that far north of here.

jkilov
10-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah it's been like this here too. No rain and no sun, just cloudy all the time. I was out with my friends last Saturday at like 1am and thought I saw frost on someone's car windscreen. Hardly could scrape it off with my finger. Still can't believe it.

It's far better now and supposedly will improve next week with a good chance of rain after Tuesday. So heads up and caps on. :dancing::waving:

Charles
10-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I have been busy all of September. October doesn't look good at all. We are getting the same thing. Cooler temps and and dry conditions. Suppose to get warmer with 80 degree's tomorrow. Damage is already done. What a up and down year this has been:dizzy: Grass has been dormant at least 10 times or more. I don't know if it will bounce back this time before the frost comes

Hawg City Lawns
10-03-2008, 06:46 PM
i think this will be the last two weeks of the mowing season for me its a shame

topsites
10-03-2008, 07:01 PM

I hear you, once it rained I got SWAMPED!
And I mean SWAMPED!

I did... Get this...
$2,600 dollars worth of work, by myself, in 4 days.
Core aeration!
Yes sir, with a walk-behind solid axle bad boy.
Then some of them wanted it seeded and what have you...
So in all of that I also moved roughly 7,500 pounds worth of 40 and 50 pound bags of seed and crap too.
The spreader is a manual push model, with a 120 pound hopper, I was almost having fun right about then.
Some of them lawns still had to be mowed first as well.
Couple of full acre lots in there, some were small and the rest in between, I was doing around four a day of that LOL

I was so sore the beginning of my 3rd day, I was really afraid of how I was
going to feel on the 4th one, lucky me the 4th day wasn't actually too bad,
the fact that Sunday fell in between there I am sure helped.

I haven't worked that hard in a long time.

corey4671
10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
its way to dry here.we have not had rain in over two months.it is going to warm back up next week and a small chance of rain i will cut some more.no big deal.

aren't you down around athens and elkmont? if so, you know what I'm talking about!

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-03-2008, 08:46 PM
The temps here to are getting down to the loe 50's Already ! Was hoping not till end of October. Its still was a better year this year, lots of rain ! Probably 2-3 more weeks of cutting, i hope !

Icepuck72
10-03-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm in central VA and I can barely keep up. Lot's of rain lately, nice conditions. I'm slam full every day I'm off of my fire job. With grass cutting and aeration, I'm getting whooped!!! :dizzy::dizzy:

robbo521
10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
yep just down the road from the big town of Elkmont.