PDA

View Full Version : Let's see your custom/modified implements

ccstrebe
10-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Here is one of mine:

Implement: Bobcat 5 shank scarifier with depth skids.

Problem #1: Not wide enough, 7ft wide machine with 3ft wide rip path.

Fix #1: Replace depth skids with shanks and add 1ft to each end and add 2 more shanks for a total of 7 shanks.

Performance: 10" spacing between shanks creates furrows because of the firmness of the dirt. Two passes are required, this is not acceptable.

Fix #2: Cut 6" of each end, cut new shank holes and fab/weld new mounting tabs between existing holes and tabs. Purchase another scarifier, cut off all the parts not needed, Add 1ft to each end, weld face to face with 4" solid stock between the two. Shank spacing is now on 5" centers. Replace shank bolts with shorten and redrilled hitch pins for quick removal.

Perfomance: Perfect 7ft wide swath of deep ripped soil with one pass.

I have to deep rip the track about every third weekend.

Sorry about the 1/2 ton in the background.

bobcat_ron
10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Holy sh*t! Even pulling mine requires some power in hard soil, your's is a real chore!

I have given the go ahead on a new tilt-tach from Bobcat, so I am getting ready to build a side dump bucket from and older slurry bucket that has seen it's prime, but that's later.
All I ever did was modify the quick attach to keep dirt from plugging the wedges, this might be of use to you ccstrebe:

Mud flap rubber over the brackets from the wedge pin cylinders:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures261.jpg

Covers over the wedge pins and they are easily removed for cleaning:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures617.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures616.jpg

Scag48
10-01-2008, 11:10 PM
That's going to be tough going with that many shanks and width. The only good news is that the dirt you're tilling up isn't really that hard compared to hardpan.

J. Peterson Grading
10-01-2008, 11:30 PM
This is one of my new snow buckets. I had this one made for my Deere 4520 Compact tractor. Its a 7ft short bottom high back. It will make lifting and stacking alot easier with this machine. Looks funny, but the idea behind it has been well thought out.

ConstSvcs
10-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Nice looking bucket....great idea...........much better than the pushers I've seen .

RockSet N' Grade
10-01-2008, 11:42 PM
JPeterson......if that old Chev parked over there in the picture ever comes up for sale......I would like to buy it......

J. Peterson Grading
10-01-2008, 11:48 PM
I sub to my areas biggest lawn service. We do ALL thier repair and misc work. The truck you speak of is just one of thiers. The owner got some sort of a money grant and at one point had an entire fleet of the old trucks like that one. They still use a couple of the old fire trucks as lawn sprayers and water trucks.

another thing, the area were this pic was taken was roughly 7 feet under water 4 months ago.

J.

Cooter
10-02-2008, 12:00 AM
What type of accounts do you use this on? What is the weight of that 4720?

This is one of my new snow buckets. I had this one made for my Deere 4520 Compact tractor. Its a 7ft short bottom high back. It will make lifting and stacking alot easier with this machine. Looks funny, but the idea behind it has been well thought out.

ConstSvcs
10-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I sub to my areas biggest lawn service. We do ALL thier repair and misc work. The truck you speak of is just one of thiers. The owner got some sort of a money grant and at one point had an entire fleet of the old trucks like that one. They still use a couple of the old fire trucks as lawn sprayers and water trucks.

another thing, the area were this pic was taken was roughly 7 feet under water 4 months ago.

J.

Is that a waterline that I see half way up the side wall on that blue shed in the background ???

J. Peterson Grading
10-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Yes its a waterline. We were hauling sand for sand bags here the day this area flooded. In 45 minutes this area went from no water other than a trickle down a street, to over a foot in the same street. The next day and for the next two weeks it left that water line.

I use the this tractor on smaller commercial accounts, Ranging from fast food places to housing association. It has an 8ft Landpride rear blade and depending on snow it will have either this bucket or an 8ft box. No idea on the weight. But it will spin out before i run out of power. So along with the wheel weights I am going to fill the tires with fluid.

This is just one of my snow rigs. I have 5 trucks, 2 skid loaders, 1 tractor, 3 wheel loaders.

J.

ccstrebe
10-02-2008, 12:46 AM
That's going to be tough going with that many shanks and width. The only good news is that the dirt you're tilling up isn't really that hard compared to hardpan.

I have been using this for two years and you would be surprised how well it works even in hard pan. You are not really using all the teeth to rip. The first row is doing all the work. The second row is about an inch higher and are just cleaning up the high spots that are left from whatever the first row leaves. You can take out the back row of teeth and it would not work any harder than if you left them in.

Even though it will go through hard pan I don't usually do it. There are a couple of reasons why. One reason is because if the soil is too dry, I get alot of clumps and clods and it takes longer to laser. The other reason is because the tips wear out twice as fast and it is alot of work replacing those tips. As it is I have to replace them once a year and I'm only using it about ten to twelve times a year.

Our soil gets so hard that if the teeth are riding on top and not penetrating you actually see sparks coming from the tips as they are dragging on top.

I'm pretty proud of this one. It took two years of trying different configurations to get the results that I wanted.

Tigerotor77W
10-03-2008, 01:40 AM
How did you paint your scarifier? Is there a good way to ensure that paint will adhere to steel?

ccstrebe
10-03-2008, 02:53 AM
How did you paint your scarifier? Is there a good way to ensure that paint will adhere to steel?

Primered the bare steel and used six spray cans of Cat paint. Seems to be pretty good stuff.

Nel-Martin
10-03-2008, 05:41 PM
here is something i changed since it got wiped off . like it much better now , nothing major though

ccstrebe
10-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Here is my master piece:

When I use the scarifier for deep ripping I have to smooth everything out with the laser grader, the track would be unridable if I didn't, but it is a three to four hour ordeal everytime.

After a weekend of riding and then sitting there for the week the track would dry out on top but still be moist about an inch or two down. When it was time to water for the following weekend the water would sit on top instead of soaking in. I needed something to rip through that first inch or two and till it up so that the water would soak in. It needed to be a one pass deal and smooth up the track at the same time.

This is what I came up with to accomplish that. I tried a power rake but it pulverized the dirt too much and was very, very, very slow going. I needed something that I could basically go full speed with.

After trying the power rake and it not working. I was stuck for about a year of trying to figure out what to do. One day I'm driving by a field and a farmer is using a ringroller behind his plow and I'm thinking that the ring roller might work.

I buy a tow behind ring roller and a skid steer mounting plate and have my welder put the two together. I'm all excited to try it out thinking that the ring roller spikes would at the very least put holes in the ground to help the water penetrate...........wrong.

It looked really cool but the spikes wouldn't get through the hard pan. So the next thing I did was cut off every other spike on the ring roller thinking that there were too many teeth touching the ground to let them penetrate...................wrong, no difference. I was very disappointed and thought I had wasted my time and money and still had a problem that needed solving.

I put it on the back burner for a few months and then it hit me. Put some small replaceable tips on a cutting edge to get through the hardpan without disturbing the ground too much and then pack it back down with the ring roller. I didn't have an extra bucket so I had to buy a new bucket, which was a big stretch because I didn't know if my idea would work and I was already out the cost of the ring roller.

We made the ringroller on a pivot so it would float and put sand inside to give it weight. The bucket also helps keep the dirt undisturbed as its ripping. This thing works so well it is amazing. Of course it would only work on dirt that is moist, but I can prep the whole track in an hour with this thing instead of three to four hours with the scarfier and laser. After about three weekends of riding the track gets to the point where it is time to deep rip again.

J. Peterson Grading
10-03-2008, 08:15 PM
You have heard of a woods or land pride Gill haven't you? Basically the same thing you have built here.

J.

Hollowellreid
10-03-2008, 08:33 PM
So I take it you have to drive in reverse to use all these attachments?

That sounds like the only real downside. You need one of the old ASV MD series or 4810's where you could turn the seat around and drive it like a tractor...

bobcat_ron
10-03-2008, 08:44 PM
That is gnarly!

Here's a return line the boys from Finning did for me to return the oil from the case drain line to the tank, also works as a pressure release on attachment hoses:

I hated it when it was like this, so it's been relocated to the side.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures268.jpg

Nel-Martin
10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
if that was mine i would redo the whole thing . wouldn't take long to hit it when your working in low spots

Stick Pro
10-03-2008, 10:30 PM
that 297 is a nice looking machine

ccstrebe
10-03-2008, 10:43 PM
You have heard of a woods or land pride Gill haven't you? Basically the same thing you have built here.

J.

Never heard of them. Looked them up on google. Woods had nothing. I hope your not talking about this pc. of junk I found on the Land Pride site.

http://www.landpride.com/main_products/main_sp.html

Looks like the Land Pride stuff is all three point hitch stuff for large garden tractors.

I guess there is some resemblence, but a 1972 Pinto also ressembles a brand new Porche too.

The sand in my ring roller weighs more than that tin can.

ccstrebe
10-03-2008, 10:48 PM
So I take it you have to drive in reverse to use all these attachments?

That sounds like the only real downside. You need one of the old ASV MD series or 4810's where you could turn the seat around and drive it like a tractor...

Yes. I,ve been doing it for so long its become second nature.

ccstrebe
10-03-2008, 10:52 PM
that 297 is a nice looking machine

Thanks, I just got the Jensen ag equipment radio with Bose noise canceling head phones installed today. It took me all day to do it but it turned out real clean. I'll take some pics.

bobcat_ron
10-04-2008, 09:45 AM
if that was mine i would redo the whole thing . wouldn't take long to hit it when your working in low spots

It's been re-done since, it's now right in the middle of the 2 couplers, but still mounted on the side.

ccstrebe
10-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I got this from the Bobcat dealer it is made by Jensen for ag. and const. equipment. I'm very impressed with the design. That is the complete radio right there. I picked up power from behind the instrument panel off of 12 volt adapter. Drilled a hole to mount the head phone jack and drilled a hole for the antenna. The bracket to hang the head phones I made out of a piece of aluminum square tubing.

Junior M
10-04-2008, 12:24 PM
At our bobcat dealer you can buy that radio with speakers..

I really like your work, very clean and looks like the radio was there stock. The only thing different I wouldve done was use speakers instead just because I am not that crazy about having headphones on.

ccstrebe
10-04-2008, 12:49 PM
At our bobcat dealer you can buy that radio with speakers..

I really like your work, very clean and looks like the radio was there stock. The only thing different I wouldve done was use speakers instead just because I am not that crazy about having headphones on.

Thanks, actually, the Cat came with speakers. The reason I didn't use them is because even though Cat does a good job with noise attenuation in the cab, the speakers would still have to compete pretty hard with the engine noise. I'm using noise canceling headphones so all I hear is pure music and I don't have to turn it up real loud to be able to hear it.

Scag48
10-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Radio looks good. If there's one thing I hated about skid steers, it was no radio. I have a pair of Peltor worktunes that I bought years ago just for that reason. Hearing protection + radio, pretty good deal. Don't drop those Bose's, what are they about $200 a pair now? I never could get over how high priced those damn thigns are, I've always been a fan of AudioTechnica or Sennheiser which will get you a great pair of headphones for about $100.

ccstrebe
10-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Don't drop those Bose's, what are they about $200 a pair now? I never could get over how high priced those damn thigns are.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones/quietcomfort_2/index.jsp&intcmp=USB01019

I really like these. They came out with them a year or so ago. They are smaller than their original ones which worked good but were bulky and hot because they fit over the ears, these ones work just as good but fit on the ears.

E.B
10-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey that scarifier is made from a CASE bucket!!!!!!!!!Ha ha ha at least you one good piece of equipment yet!!!! Just so your other stuff doesn't look so bad....... just jokin around!!!!

Junior M
10-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks, actually, the Cat came with speakers. The reason I didn't use them is because even though Cat does a good job with noise attenuation in the cab, the speakers would still have to compete pretty hard with the engine noise. I'm using noise canceling headphones so all I hear is pure music and I don't have to turn it up real loud to be able to hear it.
Oh, Ok that makes since.. I wonder how those headphone's technically cancel out other noise's and sounds..

ccstrebe
10-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Oh, Ok that makes since.. I wonder how those headphone's technically cancel out other noise's and sounds..

This is how they work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphone

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/noise-canceling-headphone.htm

ccstrebe
10-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey that scarifier is made from a CASE bucket!!!!!!!!!Ha ha ha at least you one good piece of equipment yet!!!! Just so your other stuff doesn't look so bad....... just jokin around!!!!

Yes it is. I had to remove a couple of gussets and elongate the coupler pin holes in order for it to fit the Cat.

J. Peterson Grading
10-04-2008, 06:18 PM
A Gill is one of the best prep tools you can buy. But, don't listen to me and I wont bother you.

J.

ccstrebe
10-04-2008, 07:16 PM
A Gill is one of the best prep tools you can buy. But, don't listen to me and I wont bother you.

J.

I'm sure it is......................if your planting a lawn.............with a small tractor...............on an already smooth grade.

What makes my master piece so special is this: You don't have to compensate for uneven ground.

Because my implement is being used backwards, the bucket and cutting edge are taking down the high spots and filling in the low spots ahead of the ripper teeth. You can take uneven ground and make it smooth and flat. With the Gill you are going to have to start with a smooth, even grade to get even remotely close to the same results.

J. Peterson Grading
10-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Have you ever used one? A gill will go through ANY conditions. It doesn't matter. You can put them on a skidsteer as well. Pull them backwards. They grind out the high spots and fill the low, then Break up the chucks. like your bucket. I only use mine for tearing up hard compacted surfaces while we are blue topping parking lots and the such.

But then I guess, using something for a "Garden Tractor" just isn't as cool as using your new Super Cat.

J.

ccstrebe
10-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Have you ever used one? A gill will go through ANY conditions. It doesn't matter. You can put them on a skidsteer as well. Pull them backwards. They grind out the high spots and fill the low, then Break up the chucks. like your bucket. I only use mine for tearing up hard compacted surfaces while we are blue topping parking lots and the such.

But then I guess, using something for a "Garden Tractor" just isn't as cool as using your new Super Cat.

J.

:laugh:

What's 'blue topping' mean?

J. Peterson Grading
10-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Finish grading before the pavement goes in. Done mostly in super compacted Clay fill. Compaction densinty is usually about as hard as asphalt. Trying to grade it with out something to scratch out the highspots is one of the hardest things as an operator to do.

If you use a ripper, you will go to deep and ruin the compaction level, and scraping off the top with a loader or grader can cause the lift layers to delaminate and slab up.

Its basically the same problems you described with your track, minus the water penitration.

J.

ccstrebe
10-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Finish grading before the pavement goes in. Done mostly in super compacted Clay fill. Compaction densinty is usually about as hard as asphalt. Trying to grade it with out something to scratch out the highspots is one of the hardest things as an operator to do.

If you use a ripper, you will go to deep and ruin the compaction level, and scraping off the top with a loader or grader can cause the lift layers to delaminate and slab up.

Its basically the same problems you described with your track, minus the water penitration.

J.

Ok, gotcha, that's what they call ABC (asphalt base compaction) rock here in AZ.

Summit L & D
10-05-2008, 05:55 AM
I got this from the Bobcat dealer it is made by Jensen for ag. and const. equipment. I'm very impressed with the design. That is the complete radio right there. I picked up power from behind the instrument panel off of 12 volt adapter. Drilled a hole to mount the head phone jack and drilled a hole for the antenna. The bracket to hang the head phones I made out of a piece of aluminum square tubing.

http://www.westone.com/content/216.html

Here is what you really need to get. These will make you wonder why you ever thought Bose was great. I use these on a daily basis, and you would not believe the sound quality and noise canceling ability. If you decided to purchase a pair....get them from www.roaddogonline.com , stellar folks to work with!

bobcatexc
10-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey Peterson, what kind of gill attachment do you use on your skidsteer, the traditional kind with rippers and one roller with spikes or a double roller sometimes with the ring roller in front. I've been thinking of finding a 3 point gill for my skid, but want something that will go across loose material and not drag it out and leave a low spot.

Total Landscape Solutions
10-06-2008, 02:02 PM
How durable are the wetstone headphones. At $299:dizzy: they had better come with a lifetime wear warranty!

Canon Landscaping
10-06-2008, 06:50 PM
The 297c I have been running has a built in cat radio and speakers and it sounds good the cab is so quiet you don't have to turn it up very much.
The only thing that sucked is the radio reception would go out every time you raised the bucket past the cab and the controls were behind you.

Summit L & D
10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
How durable are the wetstone headphones. At $299:dizzy: they had better come with a lifetime wear warranty!

I've had mine for almost 3 years now. If you step on them....they're toast. I will say that plugged into an iPod, it makes 10 hours on a skid steer go by considerably easier.