PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Horsepower Lawns
10-02-2008, 12:26 AM
I was asked to cut this down, but they want it to grow back next year. I told the lady I would see when to cut it, after I found out what it is. I have looked but can't find the answer.

Thanks

Kennedy Landscaping
10-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Some type of ornamental grass. I would say it probably gets cut back during the spring like pampas grass. But don't hold me to it.

P.Services
10-02-2008, 12:31 AM
yup cut that bad boy down short, it will grow back dont worry.

White Gardens
10-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Appears to be a switch grass of sorts. Possibly a Shenandoah switch grass.

You can cut it down now if you want to, it will grow back. Most ornamental grasses are kept through the winter and cut down in late winter to early spring.

Some people will cut theirs down this time of year, only because they sometimes get messy when the wind blows in the winter.

CLARK LAWN
10-02-2008, 08:36 AM
i would wait till after the first frost when it browns out then cut it. easiet way ive found to do it is to wrap it with duct tape in 2 places then cut it with your hedge trimmers about 5-6 inches from the ground.

Isobel
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
That's an ornamental grass, cut it down after it turns that wheat colour, because as it is right now its still producing photosynthesis--which is how its getting its energy. If you leave it intact until it turns that wheat colour you're allowing it to gain as much energy as it can before going dormant.

Horsepower Lawns
10-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

White Gardens
10-04-2008, 11:38 PM
NP

Looks like you might want to up-sell the customer and try to do a simple cut edge and mulch to create a bed around the screen porch.