PDA

View Full Version : Scag or Toro

tinkz71
10-02-2008, 06:34 AM
I have been looking at a new Z-turn mower and I have come to the conclusion that I like the Scag turf Tiger or the Toro both having 29hp Liquid cooled Kawasaki's. I just dont know if the money difference for the scag is worth it. I need a mower that can handle those not so great accounts with the high think weed/grass and also one that can strip up on my nicer yards. Im tired of double cutting and I want somthing that cuts well in the morning dew. I have a buddy that can get me a reasonable deal on the toro with the similar options and probably for around 1500 to 2000 dollars cheaper. but I have heard the scag can flat cut the grass. I know toro's are well built because just about everybody that cuts grass around my area run's them. I never have demoed ethier but I definitly will before I decide. If anyone owning ethier mower can give me the IN's and OUT's that would be great.
Thanks for your Help.

ALC-GregH
10-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Scag is your best bet.

razor1
10-02-2008, 08:21 AM
FYI, Toro/Exmark are coming out with a total redesign on most of their tractors even as we "speak". Big improvements from what I hear.
Click here... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=237754

ALC-GregH
10-02-2008, 08:35 AM
If your in the market for a new mower, why get something that really isn't proven, like the new Exmark. Scag is the bomb for sure. "Simply the best'....

IHusky
10-02-2008, 10:23 AM
the Turf Tiger with 29 is a real beast.....the Turf Tiger has its gas tank under the operator which gives it a lower center of gravity and makes it excellent on hills. The Turf Tiger is shaft driven from the engine to deck. I'm not sure if Toro uses sealed or greaseable spindles, but I definately like the fact that Scag uses greasable spindles too. Yes, Scags are a little more, but look at the resale on most Scags..... Never owned a Toro z, I don't think you can go wrong with a Toro too, but IMO Scags are "Simply the Best".

You might want to check out the tread below on the EFI engine. I do agree with what PuppyPaws said about the EFI engine not losing power. I used my TT with 29 EFI to cut through some pretty bad and overgrown clean ups and it operated excactly like Puppypaws described.

I personally would pay the higher price if there was no difference in fuel economy. The engine I have now has 460 hrs. and has never failed to crank perfectly in any temperature with no choke involved. When I say perfectly I mean if it is 25° or 100° when the engine turns over it is running. The instant it cranks you can drive off and it will never sputter or change sounds, this will never happen with a carburetor type engine.

The efi engines actually act as though they have more than their hp rating. This happens because there is less throttle lag. When I say throttle lag, I am talking about less rpm drop when you hit heavier cutting. The governor on a carburetor type engine is much slower to respond, and I believe this has to do with a difference in fuel economy. The carburetor engine drops more rpms and is slower to respond, therefore your blade tip speed also drops more in comparison. This in return takes more gas to bring the carburetor engine back to full operating rpm. The efi drops so little you hardly notice and not enough to drop blade tip speed, this means less fluctuation and less gas needed to maintain operating rpms.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=247583&highlight=EFI+engine

Good luck

J&A Lawn Care
10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I love my Toro 557z.It has a 52" deck with a 27hp kohler.I run a bagging system on it in the fall and can say its a beast also.I like the Scags also but like you said they are over priced to me

djchiodo3
10-02-2008, 05:04 PM
My number one factor when it comes to buying a mower is how close is the dealer to my accounts or my house and how long has the dealer been in business. I currently use a scag, toro and exmark(all ZTR's). The toro and exmark have seen many days in the shop, however each has over 2000 hrs and the normal problems that come with hard commercial mowing. The scag is new.

Marshbrook
10-02-2008, 08:17 PM
We recently purchased a new Scag Turf Tiger with the 25hp Kubota diesel and a 61" deck, and so far feel we made a very good decision, plenty of power in tall heavy grass and extremely good on hills and slopes thanks to its low center of gravity, also when we compaired it to other major brands we felt the constuction of the Scag Turf Tiger was better! Just my opinion. Good luck!

johnnyusa
10-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Toro, Ive seen them both cut and the cut is much cleaner on the toro. Also you can adjust the baffles on the toro to open on the wet stuff and closed on dry turf. On the Scag, Yes its a tank and holds hills well but on manicured lawns the clippings are too long for fussy customers and it is a heavy machine that will leave ruts. Just my opinion. Demo them both. Personally I like an outfront mower like the walker super B.