PDA

View Full Version : Sweet

Scag48
10-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Got laid off today, rad. We were supposed to have 2 hoes digging the footings, now we've gone down to one, so that basically cuts another operator and grade checker (me) from the loop. Back home to labor for my old man for about a month, then I'm off to the grounds in November to get my CDL. The state pushed back the 160 hour CDL class requirement to January I guess, class is only 2 weeks long still. Get that done, come back to the Seattle area and drive truck or something, haven't really decided. Was having a good day running a 400 until we ran out of stuff to do.

SouthernLandworks
10-02-2008, 06:07 PM
That really sucks man. I think we will see more lay offs as the year end draws nearer although I havent seen too much of a drop in the trucking industry around here.

Gravel Rat
10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
You will probably be called back once the company gets another project.

Working for your old man should last a week and you two will be fighting like cats and dogs :laugh:

Start hounding the union hall saying you want work :drinkup:

Scag48
10-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah this sucks. It wouldn't be so bad getting laid off if I knew it was coming. I suppose that's how layoffs work, but doing 65+ hours a week to getting laid off is a touch drastic. Like I said, things were planned to have me around for another 6 weeks or so.

I have the dispatcher within the company as a resource, typically you gotta call every day at 5AM to find out if there's work for the day. Can't really do that when I'm 160 miles away back home. Figure I'll just let him know I'll be gone and if anything comes up, I need 12 hours of notice before they need me to get back over here.

Once I have my CDL I can drive truck. Most companies pay right around 15-17/hr. for drivers, depending on what you're doing. There's tons of job listings for that on Craigslist. Can always go back to landscaping if the need arises, that's what I'll be doing with my dad. I already told him I have little patience for his crap and he has more work than he knows what to do with right now so I have a bit of an advantage.

Matter of fact, union meeting is tonight. Suppose I'll go in there and beat on someone for a job. Gotta get something out of that $25 a month I pay for dues.

ksss
10-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Come to Idaho when you get your CDL. I can use some good help.

CAT powered
10-02-2008, 10:07 PM
But he doesn't run anything smaller than a 400, KSSS. Haha.

On a more serious note. Sorry to hear that you're laid off especially since they already told you they were keeping you on. Good luck getting a new job.

ksss
10-02-2008, 10:11 PM
But he doesn't run anything smaller than a 400, KSSS. Haha.

On a more serious note. Sorry to hear that you're laid off especially since they already told you they were keeping you on. Good luck getting a new job.

I was thinking that a couple weeks without a paycheck, may make a 160 look a lot better.

stuvecorp
10-02-2008, 10:20 PM

I'd sign up to run the 440 once the VTS gets on this winter.

CAT powered
10-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I'll take that Mack. That truck sure is sweet lookin. Sorry for the thread hijack, Scag.

Anyways how's that truck doing, KSSS? Had much work for it? And please tell me you got the potatoland bugs out of the grill since the last time you posted its picture.

bobcatuser
10-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I was thinking that a couple weeks without a paycheck, may make a 160 look a lot better.

You could add a CAT floor mat and some 400 decals to the 160, that might sweeten the deal.:laugh:

ksss
10-02-2008, 10:52 PM
You could add a CAT floor mat and some 400 decals to the 160, that might sweeten the deal.:laugh:

Ha, ha, great idea. I was also thinking of getting him an Audi for a take home rig. Scag has not been the same since he had to sell his Audi.

ksss
10-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I'll take that Mack. That truck sure is sweet lookin. Sorry for the thread hijack, Scag.

Anyways how's that truck doing, KSSS? Had much work for it? And please tell me you got the potatoland bugs out of the grill since the last time you posted its picture.

Yea the "Potato bugs" are gone.:laugh:

Had an electrical issue. I replaced the key switch, wasn't it. I cleaned and checked the terminals at the batteries, no luck. Turned out the pole was loose at the starter. I have not had an issue with it other than that.

I have to tell you prior to this truck I hated driving truck. Not any more. I enjoy driving the MACK. Its comfortable, powerful, demo body kicks ass and it looks good.

I have one point I have to mention. I frequently think about GR's comment about the break your back, Camelback suspension. That trucks rides like a dream. Its solid off road and comfortable onroad. He could not have been more wrong about the ride of this truck.

CAT powered
10-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Hop into an older DM like I have and the break your back camelback is much more evident.

87 DM triaxle dump. She's a dog, but she runs like a top.

Scag48
10-03-2008, 01:52 AM

You got anything going on during December and January? I might have to come down there and pay you a visit.

Went to the hall tonight, not looking good for this winter. Was told to go find something else for this winter, it's getting ugly. Oh well.

coopers
10-03-2008, 03:19 AM
You got anything going on during December and January? I might have to come down there and pay you a visit.

Went to the hall tonight, not looking good for this winter. Was told to go find something else for this winter, it's getting ugly. Oh well.

I was wondering if that would happen. I just couldn't imagine that things would pick up this winter. Weather isn't pleasant around here during the winter and the market already sucks....sorry to hear about your cut. That just sucks!

Scag48
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
There's work going on, just not a whole lot. Sound Transit and public works jobs are about the only thing still plowing away. Buddy of mine is working on the light rail project at SeaTac, lucky dude, he has work through this winter. He's oiling for a 150 ton LinkBelt crane, he signed up for dirt but took this gig anyway.

To be honest, if I hounded our dispatcher within the company for 2 weeks everyday, I'd probably get sent out to another job. I'm actually not really caring all that much right now because I want to get my CDL and my dad needs me to bail him out. I'm going to call the dispatcher, let him know I'm hanging out, but it'll be 6 weeks before I'll be able to go back to work for this company. By then, things could be worse than they are right now. My boss said he may call me back to come out and help here and there, but a day or two from time to time isn't worth it. I don't collect unemployment, I think it's stupid, so I can't just sit at home and wait for my phone to ring for work.

AintNoFun
10-03-2008, 05:10 PM
not to add fuel to the fire but in a post awhile ago someone made a comment about you being union and you responded there was a ton of work in your area and you weren't gonna get laid off?

Gravel Rat
10-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Hopefully the union isn't soaking you for union dues.

No job is gauranteed union or not just the way it goes.

crab
10-03-2008, 07:01 PM
sorry you got laid off ,i thought you were good based on you're other posts.sure you're old man will need something ,maybe you and gr can bunk up,Ron will cook!:cry::laugh:

Scag48
10-03-2008, 07:59 PM
not to add fuel to the fire but in a post awhile ago someone made a comment about you being union and you responded there was a ton of work in your area and you weren't gonna get laid off?

I never said I wasn't going to get laid off, that would be a stupid comment to make. I've known that I was going to get laid off, I just figured December would be right about the time I'd get the boot, which I could handle. December up to April is about 4 months off, not too bad. Had I worked until December, I would've had enough saved up to go 4 months without any income.

The fact of the matter is that there is quite a bit of public works projects going on. Problem is, the company I work for doesn't bid on that stuff. We stick to large, private funded commercial jobs and we put a lot of eggs in the housing development basket, which did real well up until last year. There is no doubt that WA state is way better off, work wise, than most other states in the country. However, unless you're on with a company that does road work and started with them earlier this summer, chances of staying busy through the winter are pretty slim. There's work out there, but nothing is starting up right now. So like I said, you would've had to been dispatched out to public works job that started earlier in the season to stay busy through this winter. There are a few starting up this winter, but not enough to keep everyone busy.

As of 2 months ago, the work forecast for this winter was looking average. Was told it wasn't going to be as slow as last winter, maybe even a busier winter than normal. Well here we are in October and have found out that hasn't turned out like predicted. The only good news is that I can do a lot of stuff. I'm experienced in landscaping, I'll have my class A CDL in about 6 weeks with air brakes, hazmat, and tanker endorsements, I can do the restaurant gig if I need to, I'd rather not, though. Definately sucks, the worst part is that I won't be able to get my health benefits until I work another 2 months and accrue more hours. That's what really pisses me off.

Gravel Rat
10-03-2008, 10:22 PM
If you can get your CDL that will help a little you might beable to find some work driving plow truck in the winter or get a job with a disposal company driving garbage truck. Not the most glamarous job slinging garbage but its steady employement during the winter.

I would be running garbage truck if the contractor wasn't such a perrick to work for. The highways maintenance contractor is so mis-managed and muni jobs are really tough to get.

We will see how long you and your old man can get along before the fists start flying :laugh:

Scag48
10-03-2008, 11:03 PM
We will see how long you and your old man can get along before the fists start flying :laugh:

I know, we'll see what happens. He just signed ANOTHER job today. He called me up today saying that he's super strapped and I have to get back over ASAP to get things going. I will be running a crew and doing the management thing again. Like I said before, I already told him that I don't have time for his BS.

I'm not really sure why I'm even worrying about work. Once I have my CDL there's so much more work I can do on top of what I'm capable of doing right now. I guess my point is that I'll do whatever it takes to keep myself going even if that requires some travel.

Gravel Rat
10-03-2008, 11:34 PM
If you want to get into driving truck try get into lowbed work or oversize hauling. Even flatdecking is good experience. Doing van haul you don't learn much and get fat :laugh:

Did you tell your dad you want a decent wage a company truck :drinkup:

Scag48
10-03-2008, 11:41 PM
For once he's agreed to pay me what I'm worth. I get a company truck, my car will be parked the whole time I'm there. I'm planning on working 60-70 hours a week for the next 5 weeks to make as much as I possibly can before I go back to the training grounds to get my CDL.

coopers
10-04-2008, 03:21 AM
I was wondering what you were going to do for your dad since you can't operate for other peeps but I see you'll be boss man for a while on some jobs? Cool...what kind of jobs is your dad taking? He seems awfully busy over there...which to me is hard to comprehend since there's more "stuff" here... :)

Junior M
10-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Scag wouldnt u be able to operate for your dad anyway? even if he isnt union.

Scag48
10-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Scag wouldnt u be able to operate for your dad anyway? even if he isnt union.

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I could argue that he's family and that he's a landscaper. You'd think they really wouldn't care in this situation, but I'm not going to find out, it's just not worth getting busted. I'll stick to labor and driving truck, I know I'm safe there, but it would definately be easier to stay busy this winter if I could run iron.

Coop, it's been a strange year over there for my old man. Spring was dead, he didn't start anything that was worth mentioning until almost June. He did that big retaining wall, started that in May, but typically they fire up right around the first of April. He has a huge full landscape job with a ton of pavers going on right now, another commercial landscape site that I was working on this summer when I was over there. Just a wad of stuff to get done before the snow flies.

Junior M
10-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I think I would rather run iron than drive truck and doing handwork. But hey it pays the bill's.

If i were you I would talk to someone with some authority in the union about working for your dad running some equipment occasionally to see if it was against the rules.

Scag48
10-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I had thought about it, I may do it, but I have guaranteed work with my dad not running equipment anyway. I wouldn't mind getting some truck driving experience this winter anyway. Like GR said, lowboy hauling is good experience. Problem is, they typically don't hire fresh guys with no hauling experience to move anything that requires a lowboy. I do have a ton of hauling experience, just with smaller trucks and trailers.

Gravel Rat
10-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't think the union would be that strict that they wouldn't let you operate iron for your old man. I guess the union figures your working for a non union company taking work away from a non union company. How many landscaping companies are union ?

If that is the case just don't get caught :laugh:

Junior M
10-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I got one more question scag...

Lets say you just go ahead and start operating for your dad and it was against the rules, How would they catch you operating for someone non-union?

AintNoFun
10-04-2008, 08:26 PM
im a union shop.. i acutally have an operators book on the bottom of my statement i just got it says something about working for cash or less than rates you will be kicked out.. i know when i got all my guys laborers books it was beaten into their heads they can work their field for non union guys.. they can be chefs, salesman, fireman whatever they want to be in the winter but not laborers...

I wouldn't think the union would be that strict that they wouldn't let you operate iron for your old man. I guess the union figures your working for a non union company taking work away from a non union company. How many landscaping companies are union ?

If that is the case just don't get caught :laugh:

Gravel Rat
10-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Most of the time non union operators are paid more money or they are here in B.C. .

bobcatuser
10-05-2008, 12:03 PM
I could never work a union job, not being able to negotiate my own wage or have restrictions on when and where I can work. And to top it off they lay you off when things slow down?

GR is right about the pay scale in BC, non union companys pay operators based on production not seniority.

Junior M
10-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Scag I got one more question involving the union thing.. Why did you decide to go union? It seems to have its pro's but it seems to have alot more con's...

Gravel Rat
10-05-2008, 03:40 PM
You should be paid by your skills and experience. At one of the mines not mentioning names but its union but they squabble like a bunch of friggin hens. One of the operators is in a uproar because the company hired a non union operator to run excavator. The operator is excellent he knows what his doing he can get lots of production done in a day and doesn't abuse the machine. The company got the operator in the union he has only been in the union for less than a year but has many years of experience.

The union operator that is raising the stink has been a " so called union operator " for 20 years and is useless as square wheels. The guy is rough on machines the mechanics are constantly fixing things he broke. Can't get rid of him because the union is covering his azz. I think he was told to shut up or get out. The guy would never get hired by a non union company.

Sorry excavation companies hire guys with experience and pay them accordingly. If the operator is worth the money they get it. A good hoe operator is making close to 30 dollars per hour. I'am not a believer in unions and never will be they cover the butt of useless lazy employees that should have been fired long ago.

If Scag wants to work for his old man running equipment he should beable to. What is he supposed to do starve to death waiting for the next job he has to work and running equipment is a job that pays a decent wage. If the union can't provide a decent job in his state and a non union company is looking for a machine operator Scag should be allowed to take that job on his own. All the union is after is their frigging union dues.

mrusk
10-05-2008, 04:10 PM
If scag just kept his mouth shut and does not post about it on the internet no one would ever know. Its family.

Gravel Rat
10-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Working for familly isn't always the best it sounds like Scag works together with his old man like I do with my old man which is not good :laugh:

Junior M
10-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I now understand what you guys mean about not being able to work with your dad,
My dad wont put any annitiative into getting some work, he thinks he is going to jump right back into where he was back in 1998, with work out the ass and phone call's constantly, well i got news for him he had been around for 13 years in 1998 and he had built houses for many years before that, so alot of people knew who he was and knew his quality of work. We have just started and we are going to have to fight like hell for the work we get and be refered to other customers.. He thinks people are just going to call him because he is Ernie like it was in Ohio. Gah, now I understand one reason why he lost all his work.. he freakn loses phone numbers, wont write what he quotes on a job down, and wont keep track of the account and he wont freakn let me put my number on the business card or our sign's. He wont even freakn introduce me to the people we are working for, all the freakn people at the dealerships just know me as that kid that is with Ernie all the time..

AintNoFun
10-05-2008, 05:24 PM
well in NJ you wouldn't be working on many jobs... most decent sized commercial projects are union as pretty much all govt work is all union... the union is very strong in NJ/NY area...

I could never work a union job, not being able to negotiate my own wage or have restrictions on when and where I can work. And to top it off they lay you off when things slow down?

GR is right about the pay scale in BC, non union companys pay operators based on production not seniority.

Gravel Rat
10-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Here in B.C. union companies have to subcontract non union companies to do jobs because there is very few union operators and ones that are available are not worth hiring.

AWJ Services
10-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Come too Georgia we have an excellent union

MLFSOB.:)

Scag48
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm working again running a crew, we're doing a bunch of pavers. The benefits of the union are good wages, excellent benefits, and access to the best, free training out there. Next winter I would like to get CCO certified to run cranes, even though it really isn't my cup of tea. I'd just like to have another feather in my cap. The joke of it is that the non-union boys are hurting just as much this year with the slowdown, so it's not just the union boys. The only guys staying busy this year are the owner/operators, the big guys, union or not, are taking it in the shorts for work.

I have a good month of work here and then after that I may go into the ski industry again with seasonal work to get me through winter. By the time the ski season is over, it'll be April and will be about time to start slinging dirt again.

Gravel Rat
10-07-2008, 08:19 PM
So did you tell your dad you want a salary wage of 3500 dollars a month and any overtime is extra :laugh:

Atleast your keeping busy :drinkup:

AintNoFun
10-07-2008, 08:41 PM
do you guys have a gauranteed 8 hour day like we do out here?

I'm working again running a crew, we're doing a bunch of pavers. The benefits of the union are good wages, excellent benefits, and access to the best, free training out there. Next winter I would like to get CCO certified to run cranes, even though it really isn't my cup of tea. I'd just like to have another feather in my cap. The joke of it is that the non-union boys are hurting just as much this year with the slowdown, so it's not just the union boys. The only guys staying busy this year are the owner/operators, the big guys, union or not, are taking it in the shorts for work.

I have a good month of work here and then after that I may go into the ski industry again with seasonal work to get me through winter. By the time the ski season is over, it'll be April and will be about time to start slinging dirt again.

Scag48
10-08-2008, 01:26 AM
do you guys have a gauranteed 8 hour day like we do out here?

Nope, but that's alright with me. Why should I get paid for 8 if I didn't work 8? That's stupid, IMO. Honest work for honest pay, I don't see the need to milk the company that employs me. I'm more than happy with the overtime after 8 and double time after 12 and the overtime Saturdays already.

Well GR I got screwed out of the company truck so I'm driving my car. No dice on the overtime, I doubt I'll work any, but I'll make my income goal working here in the next month laying pavers so that's all that matters. A job is a job, especially with the way things went on the market today. Ouch.

Gravel Rat
10-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Atleast your working so make hay while the sun shines. Doing paving stones isn't as cushy as sitting in a 400 slinging dirt :laugh:

coopers
10-08-2008, 02:51 AM
Scag, go work for Stevens Pass for a bit running groomers and the loaders clearing snow. That'd be a fun winter job. Something new and different.

stuvecorp
10-08-2008, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=Scag48;2546361]Nope, but that's alright with me. Why should I get paid for 8 if I didn't work 8? That's stupid, IMO. Honest work for honest pay, I don't see the need to milk the company that employs me. I'm more than happy with the overtime after 8 and double time after 12 and the overtime Saturdays already. QUOTE]

Scag, how do you fit in the union? I have never heard someone that is in the union say something like that, you have to take the benefits that is the whole point of the union.

bobcatexc
10-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Stuvecorp: [QUOTE][Scag, how do you fit in the union? I have never heard someone that is in the union say something like that/QUOTE]

That's a good question because one minute he's all hardcore union, blah, blah slingin dirt with "OUR COMPANYS 400's" until they lay him off, then his attitude changes. Oh but wait they offer great training! That's why every greenhorn apprentice I've ever experienced aint' worth a dam! If your as good as you say Scag why you keep gettin laid off? I've never seen somebody who's owned or family owns a non-union construction company be so hardcore union.

And No I'm not impressed with your "400" experiences, I"ve had plenty of sit time in 400's and 450's and carry a union card also.

Gravel Rat
10-08-2008, 03:01 PM
The job I'am at is union and I don't milk the benefits either. I'am paid for 7.5 hours and any time after 7.5 I get OT. I put in for overtime if I'am over 10 minutes. Overtime is paid in 30 min increments if you work 10-30 mins you get 30 minutes if you work 40 minutes you get a full hour.

As for benefits I only use my dental if I have to I dislike going to the dentist. My medical is paid I haven't gone to a doctor in a couple years. I'am covered for medical perscriptions but I don't use that either. To collect benefits you pay half and the company/Gov't pays half. Because of the union my wage is locked in for another frigging 3 years. I pay into a pension plan but what good does that do me when I have to stick with the job till I retire.

Having union benefits eats up a easy 200-250 dollars off my paycheck every 2 weeks. The union dues alone are 100 dollars a month.

The only union that pays good is the electrical workers union ie lineman. Teamsters union the wages are not great the iron workers union not the best.

In the US with your guys medical stuff being a arm and leg litterally if you get sick and need to go to a hospital your broke. I don't know why the US gov't never adopted a health system like Canada where it comes out of your taxes and you pay a certain amount of money per month.

The only "doctor" that makes out like a bandit is a dentist they charge lots of money.

Scag should be happy they are paying for his training what other way would he have gotten some experience on mass excavators. If they pay for his CDL that is another benefit. To go to driving school here to get your class A cdl it is 2500-3000 dollars.

My opinion on unions will be the same I don't believe in them.

murray83
10-08-2008, 06:26 PM
I really don't see whats so big about a 400 size machine...people on here rant and rave about them like they are the cat's ass honestly its just an excavator :rolleyes: after like a day the novelty wears off and its just another piece of iron,D9? who cares? they get boring after awhile.

On HEF he posted a comment about a 330 Case excavator being in a form garbage but has never ran one......

Its a shame another union brainwashes another young person into believing the union way is paved in gold and candy falls from the sky.....all in due time.

Gravel Rat
10-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I really don't see whats so big about a 400 size machine...people on here rant and rave about them like they are the cat's ass honestly its just an excavator after like a day the novelty wears off and its just another piece of iron,D9? who cares? they get boring after awhile.

On HEF he posted a comment about a 330 Case excavator being in a form garbage but has never ran one......

Its a shame another union brainwashes another young person into believing the union way is paved in gold and candy falls from the sky.....all in due time.

Somebody a little cranky today :laugh:

murray83
10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Ha,nah just trying to feel out the posts its up and down alot on pro/anti union

Buts its true though about the big stuff you can only bail so much with a big hoe like a 600 or pushing dirt with a D9 till it gets boring and you can't wait to get into a little 12 tonner with an exciting day.

Gravel Rat
10-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I'am not pro union :canadaflag:

We will have a problem when Scag starts preaching the Brotherhood stuff :laugh:

Scag is a landscaper again :drinkup: He will be wishing he is back running a excavator when he goes home with a sore back and smashed fingers from paving stones :laughing:

Running the little 303 mini is going to be a little different.

Anything is better than working in a restaurant and dealing with cranky people and adding extra seasoning to a persons dinner :nono:

stuvecorp
10-08-2008, 10:46 PM
My question wasn't to rip on Scag, it just seems like he has a full speed ahead attitude and that isn't the union way.

Scag48
10-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Well Murray, I guess if you want to knock someone down, go for it. The comment I made about the 330 Case was a joke, obviously you didn't see it that way.

As far as running the big stuff, that was my goal and I've achieved it. Sorry if you don't have anything to look forward to in your life. I had the opportunity to do journey level tasks in a 400 as a first year apprentice, felt pretty damn good to me. Keep in mind I wasn't hired to run a hoe, I was hired to grade check and run roller. I did well enough that I was thrown into 400's here and there, the D8 every once in a while, and I did some finish grading in a D6. Seems like I did alright.

GR, landscaping is alright, job is a job. Laying pavers isn't the best, but a paycheck is all that counts these days. Like I said, only good thing about the union is the wage, benefits, and training. My dues are $25 a month, not a bad deal. Other than that, it's practically the same as the non-union boys. Not any different than non-union when it comes to getting laid off, if there's no work, you're gone regardless of who you work for until you build some seniority.

You guys who are bashing me because I get laid off obviously don't understand where I'm coming from. Why would they lay off a guy who's been on the crew for 5 years for a first year apprentice? Obviously the guy who's been there 5 years has paid his dues a little more than I have, it definately wouldn't be fair for him to get the boot before me. I made it longer than 2 journeyman on the crew, I feel pretty good about that. I will be back with the company I was with next spring, I've been told I will be back. I guess I have a sour taste in my mouth having being cut short about 6 weeks short of what I was told, but hey, things can roll the wrong way and I've found out since I was laid off that's exactly what happened. We were substantially ahead of schedule and I guess the forming and pouring crew wouldn't have been able to keep up with us digging them. Doesn't really make sense to run a 7 man crew when they only can keep up with a 5 man crew.

Gravel Rat
10-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Now you just have to convince your dad to loan you some money so you can buy a fullsize excavator and start gravel mining on your property :laugh:

The big thing with the union was to get some training. Too bad you couldn't have got some more hours in to get benefits and maybe collect unemployment enjoyment insurance.

Scag48
10-08-2008, 11:13 PM
My dad won't loan me money for anything, that's why I've bought property. Eventually that'll fund some equipment purchases down the road.

Getting laid off sucks but I knew the season was going to come to an end for me at some point. There's just no way I could beat out the veteran guys on the crew. I put myself in their position; if I was on a crew for 5 or 6 years and consistently delivered good work, I would be super pissed if an apprentice bumped me when things slow down in the winter. That's a crappy situation union or not, this isn't a union related problem whatsoever.

Like I said, the training is good, the benefits are good, and the pay is good. Most of the big jobs are union jobs, which is what I want experience on. Oh wait, I just did that. The job I was just on would not have been given to a non-union shop. Not bashing the non-union guys, I couldn't care less if you don't like the unions. My desire to join up was to get experience on these big jobs, get on some big iron, and make some money along the way. I've accomplished my baseline goals, didn't work quite as long as I would have liked this year, but I'm still afloat since I worked 65+ hours a week 6 weeks straight and have some healthy savings.

As far as me being pro/anti union, obviously I'm pro union, I joined up. However, I don't see anything wrong with the non-union guys, they do what they do, I do what I do. The only problem with non-union guys is that they always bash the unions. Like I said, I don't hassle you for not being union, don't bash my decision.

Just because some of you guys don't think running 400's is cool, don't care. Grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Obviously you're not happy with yourself if you've gotta get on here and bash a kid who's working hard daily to make a living in this business at the bottom of the totem pole. Think I've done well thus far and I've been told I did good work, that's all I need to keep going.

talus
10-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Scag does not seem like the typical "union guy". He seems ambitious and really likes what he does(now that he left the restaurant) from what I have read in most of his posts. I'm not in IUOE but still have a union job. I have found that there are two types of people in the union enviorment. Those who will/want to work and the duck/dodgers. The two groups usually hang with their own and rip on the others. Finding excuses not to do something makes for a real long day.

Scag48
10-09-2008, 12:31 AM
I guess my attitude doesn't really fall into the stereotypical union outlook. I work hard, I don't complain, I do what needs to get done. I guess in response to stuvecorp, you're right, I'm not a typical union guy. Like I've said, I'm middle of the road. I am loyal to the IUOE but at the same time I respect the views and beliefs of others who choose the non-union route. Why would I want to bash them? I have no reason to pick fights with anyone, that proves nothing anyway. I guess I could say I'm not super hardcore union like a lot of guys I know but I feel I'm in a better position than non-union when it comes to some aspects. But, I do what's best for me, not what someone else tells me to do. I fend for my own and make my own decisions, I'm not a sheep by any means. Right now, I feel this is the best thing for me given what I'd like to learn. Not a newcomer to the biz, I can run with the best doing homesite excavation, light utilities, and general excavation. I am, however, new to the big money super jobs like the one I was on, what an eye opener. I'm still learning that market but am picking things up quickly.

murray83
10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=Scag48;2547797]Well Murray, I guess if you want to knock someone down, go for it. The comment I made about the 330 Case was a joke, obviously you didn't see it that way.

As far as running the big stuff, that was my goal and I've achieved it. Sorry if you don't have anything to look forward to in your life.

Ha oh man best laughs all day yep I live a sad life :rolleyes: