PDA

View Full Version : leaf loader on tailgate

mcwlandscaping
10-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Do you think that an 18hp leaf loader would be too heavy to mount on a pickup trucks tailgate? it weighs approx 300lbs...

thanks,
-mike-

richallseasons
10-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Thats a lot of wieght to trust to a tailgate, I bought one of those platforms that you put in the hitch and set it up on there.

toddman36
10-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Just make sure your cables are fine for the tension and it shouldn't be a problem. I've seen more than 2 150+ lb people sitting on tailgates with no problems. If its going to be permanently mounted you might want to do some bracing so it doesn't shear anything when you're driving.

WHIPPLE5.7
10-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I have the same truck as you and I have had 500+ pounds on my tailgate numerous times without a problem. I'd say you could easily have it on there.

DuallyVette
10-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I think that if you hang it on a verticle tail gate( closed) It should bend the tailgate. Tailgates are pretty flimsy IMHO.

prizeprop
10-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm sure it would hold the weight,Your concern should be if you trust the latches to remain shut when you hit a bump.It also might kink the outside of the tailgate?:confused:

t j lawn care
10-03-2008, 10:36 PM
I had my 18 hp billy goat loader on my tail gate last year on my 1994 1/2 ton chevy pickup. I did shim out the latch on the inside of the tail gate so the tail gate would not open when driving, also I installed a eye bolt in the middle of my leaf box. I installed ratchet binders to the eye bolt and to the billy goat loader to also support the loader so the tail gate would not open. This year I invested in a 3/4 ton chevy pickup truck with a ez-dumper installed and a swing away hitch for the billy goat loader. When I get the leaf box installed on my truck, I will post pictures.