PDA

View Full Version : What mower to start up with?

Micheal2008
10-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Its probaly been asked a dozen or more times but im wondering what me and bro should start up with? It looks like for sure going to be a WB type for now.. Ive been leaning towards exmark seem to read pretty decent things about them on this site from owners.

Thinking of going used for now , was wondering what to look for when purchasing a used mower? I found this one on craiglist around my area..

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/grd/855473203.html

Also not sure how much these mowers are new any places online that sell them around what they should be sold for new? not overpriced? Thanks micheal..

subs1000w
10-02-2008, 09:21 PM
thats acually the exact same mower i started with and still have it for a backup but unless it has very low hours its only worth about 1000-1200 but if i were you i would try to get a hydro, i just bought almost that exact same mower in june but with hydro and ecs controls local on ebay for 2100 and its been great so far very little problems also you should be able to pick up a good used 32-36 for around 1000 which if you have any gates will take care of those belt drives fine for the smaller mowers but hydro is much nicer and more productive and not much more $$$ when buying used

when buying used just see if it starts easy and drive it around alittle if it looks feels and sounds solid it should be good but looks are not every thing a new looking machine could be a lemon where as a dirty old looking machine if mantained properly could be golden and you get them cheaper

Green Team Landscaping
10-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Since you're from ATL this probably wont effect you as much as it does up here, but around this time or soon to be time(winter), people sell thir usedmowers fora lot less then at the beginning of the summer. And if I were you I wouldnt spend $1,600 on your 1st mower. I think you guys can find cheaper, and spend that extra $ on advertising and weed whackers and any other important tools.

Micheal2008
10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Im above atlanta by like 2 1/2 hours.. So how much would u spend around on a first mower? Found these two on local hunting site..

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=242541

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=239712

But hydro is better? and how to adjust the cut height is that a big issua i mean do i need something that i can adjust fast?

Also do u remeber the guy u bought yours from off ebay i was checking it out and there is a guy that sells alot of exmark mowers on there and has 100% feedback.

Micheal2008
10-02-2008, 09:51 PM
As far as advertising I know how to use microsoft office pretty well im taking a class on it as we speak, I can make my own flyers, could probaly make own bussiness cards also..

BigGreen1
10-02-2008, 10:06 PM
The second mower on the Georgia site would be a great starter mower. Less scalping due to width, able to go thru most gates, and the price is right.

Tim

Micheal2008
10-02-2008, 10:28 PM
The second mower on the Georgia site would be a great starter mower. Less scalping due to width, able to go thru most gates, and the price is right.

Tim
I was private messaging him earlier about i asked what lowest he would go on it he said $850 firm on it. And suppose to be sending me recent pics and his feedback is 100% out of 39 on that site so he probaly isnt going to try to sell sell something that is junk and claim it is good as he says it is... It seems like a decent deal to me but what do i know im new to this bussiness :)

Im here to learn :)

Green Team Landscaping
10-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Personally, I think you could spend no more than $750 and get a great mower of the same quality. Seriously, if you kep looking the good deals are out there. When i started out I got a z-turn for $750. Sure it's not the prettiest, but it works, and it's paid for itself. Thats the other thing you should think about. Before you buy a mower look at the price and ask yourself "how long will it take me for this mower to pay for itself?". Quality is also important, and I'm not saying buy a total POS mower. I just think you can get a good mower for less. I really hope that helps you, and doesnt make you want to buy a piece of crap mower. And if you ever aren't sure, ask the guys on here. They know what they're talking about. Trust me. they've helped me so much you wouldnt believe. Theres a lot ofgood guys on here.

Green Team Landscaping
10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I just looked at the mowers you posted recently, and go with the second one. That 1st guy didn't take care of his mower, and if he's looking to sell it rather than fix it, then he obviously doesn't care about it that much. I mn look at all of the dust that thing had on it. The last thing you want your 1st mower to be is a problem. $1,000 is too high(IMO) for a mower like that. Mower #2 is looking good. I think you should seriously take that mower into consideration. Gate's wont ever be a problem for you.

Micheal2008
10-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah He suppose to get me some new pics of it then might go check it out.. So far $850 is about the lowest one ive ran across so far, that is by exmark anyways..

I just looked at the mowers you posted recently, and go with the second one. That 1st guy didn't take care of his mower, and if he's looking to sell it rather than fix it, then he obviously doesn't care about it that much. I mn look at all of the dust that thing had on it. The last thing you want your 1st mower to be is a problem. $1,000 is too high(IMO) for a mower like that. Mower #2 is looking good. I think you should seriously take that mower into consideration. Gate's wont ever be a problem for you.

Micheal2008
10-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey green team do u have two people in your bussiness? If so are you both 50/50 on everything? AS far as in ownership of bussiness and all equipment and pay??

dura to the max
10-02-2008, 11:58 PM
the first machine you posted looks great, but the price is too high for a belt drive. 2nd mower you posted looks like a POS. third looks like a good machine, i in fact had the same mower w/ toro stickers on it and it was great. i sold it b/c i didnt have enough call for a 36" to keep it on the trailer. i would stay away from the controls on that 36" machine though. ive had plenty like that and my wrists were going to he!! in a handbasket from them, get the ecs if you go exmark.

hydro is good, but costly. ive run belt drives for years and theyve been great, i only run hydro now b/c i got a deal on it.

the 1st and last pics look like good mowers, although the price is high on the 1st. they dont seem to be great deals though. my 1st w/b was bought for $200, i ran it for 2 seasons, then sold it for $500. not bad for a belt drive that was from a no name company...IMO...i had no issue w/ this machine either. i would bet that you can find a great 48" w/b in the 4600-800 range if you get a belt drive and be patient. heck, you aint gonna be using it for a few months anyway.

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 12:00 AM
btw, a 52" belt drive w/b like the dirty one can be a pita to handle...i would stay at or under 48"...

Green Team Landscaping
10-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Hey green team do u have two people in your bussiness? If so are you both 50/50 on everything? AS far as in ownership of bussiness and all equipment and pay??
I have "workers" which are friends that help out and make some extra $. And if you were to have workers you wouldn'ty want to pay them the same as you're paying yourself. You are the owner, and you have to pay for your commercial equipment, and you(or your brother) were the one who gave the estimate, and really, that takes balls. You get butterflies in your stomach, and all your friend did for this client is worked. What I did when I started out was I charged $10 per man hour( in otherwords for every hour that one of my guys worked) and then you pay your friend $8 per hour,which to them probably would be a good amount of money(idk how old your friends or you are though). So you make $2 her hour off of your friends. I did that, and quickly found out thatsome jobs that are small aren't even worth doing,soif i were you I would chrge more in the $20-$25 ballpark.

Green Team Landscaping
10-03-2008, 08:00 AM
btw, a 52" belt drive w/b like the dirty one can be a pita to handle...i would stay at or under 48"...
I'm not trying to insult you, but I have a 52" walkbehind and handling it is no problem. That is if you get the t-bar controls. It would probably make a difference with planned out neighbor hoods that are smaller , and I can see it being a pain then.

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 03:23 PM
the 52" belt drive that i had (keep in mind that it was older) seemed to be right on the verge of being too heavy, causing it not to pull as well. this also caused some issues when turning. IMO the extra 4" on a wb isnt worth the extra effort that i had to use.

Green Team Landscaping
10-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh right. Gotcha. And yeah, the extra 4 inches is kind of dumb, but I got mine for a good price so thats the only reason I have one. The one thing it is good for, is it basically works as a push mower for around the edges. Michael is going to want 48" tops. But, also you look for deals. What size yards do you guys have in Atlanta? I've only been there once, and it ws just waiting in the airport. If you guys use the grid system so your streets are all planned out then this kid is going to have the most efficient business out there. Grid systems are IDEAL for landscaping.