PDA

View Full Version : Fire Truck destroyed my LAWN!!!

CrystalCreek
10-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Ok, so I have a customer that lives across the street from a large fire house in my town. Been cutting it for seven years with never a problem. Well I show up this morning and there is a mower swallowing tire rut in the lawn. So I get out and look at the rut. It's about 14" deep and about 12" wide. About 7 feet long. (How heavy is a fire truck? Like a billion pounds:laugh:) I notice a young fire fighter standing near the entrance of the fire house. So I walk over and ask if he knew anything about the rut. He SNAPPED!!!! Starts yelling that he protects this town and BLAH BLAH BLAH. So I ask if the fire chief is around and he said he would be back in ten minutes. I said that I could wait. So I start cutting and the fire chief shows up. I see him walking towards me so I meet him half way. So much nicer and much more pleasant. He said that one of the new guys mis judged a little. We both laughed. He even said that a couple of the guys on his crew didn't want to admit to the damage. I bit my tongue. He asked if I could fix the problem and than directly submit the bill to the fire house in his name. I said that it would not be necessary. It was only a few bags of dirt and some seed. He was a little taken back. I asked if instead of money payment, could I have a ride on the truck. I have never been in a fire truck and have always wanted to pull the horn chain. He smiled and said it would be his pleasure. We have a time set for Sunday. He is even going to give me a tour of the fire house. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I feel like a little school kid.

Sorry for the long post. I re post after the ride.

CAT powered
10-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm going to say that the guy you spoke to first was the one that mangled the lawn.

I hope you have fun on your ride. Sounds like you're going to have a blast.

mississippiturf
10-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I like stories with happy endings!!!:waving::cool2::waving::cool2:

CrystalCreek
10-02-2008, 09:56 PM
CAN'T WAIT!!! CAN'T WAIT!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!! Just hope they wash the tire and rim before mud goes flying everywhere:hammerhead::laugh::hammerhead::laugh:

Icepuck72
10-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Let me apologize for that FF's rude behavior first of all. I know if it was me or a lot of the guys I work with, it would have been fixed without question.

Good luck with the ride...it's the best job in the world!!!! IMHO of course.:)

STIHL GUY
10-02-2008, 10:45 PM
have fun on the ride. it sounds sweet

brucec32
10-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I spent a lot of time working with and partying with firefighters in my youth. My conclusion was that it attracts a higher than typical proportion of excellent people but ironically also a higher than typical proportion of knuckleheads who are attracted by the prospect of getting a little respect or pay just hanging out at the firehouse. The former carry the latter and do most of the actual benefit to society. Obviously anyone who trenches a neighboring lawn with the truck then doesn't immediately make sure he fixes the problem falls into the knucklehead category.

KrayzKajun
10-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Let me apologize for that FF's rude behavior first of all. I know if it was me or a lot of the guys I work with, it would have been fixed without question.

Good luck with the ride...it's the best job in the world!!!! IMHO of course.:)

bingo!

I love drivin firetrucks!!

Green Team Landscaping
10-03-2008, 02:07 PM
haha i bet kcfire will be happy with your move.

robbo521
10-03-2008, 03:15 PM
nothing better than driving the big red truck.

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 04:17 PM
bingo!

I love drivin firetrucks!!

me too! nothing like rolling out of the fire house 10-18!

KCfireman
10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
haha i bet kcfire will be happy with your move.ha. If i were driving that truck i would have been like "Oh Sh!t!". Oh well i wasnt driving so no worries.

02DURAMAX
10-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Have fun and Make sure you post some pics of the trucks!

CrystalCreek
10-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Fixed the lawn today. Looked into the window of the fire house and sure enough there was mud all over the tire. HAHA. I just hope there was no real damage. Looks like the sidewalk had some real deep scratches. Maybe the lug nuts made contact or something. I tell ya what, just looking through the window, its a real beauty of a truck. Ladder type I guess.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
10-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Fire up a line and water that new grass seed. That's a lot of fun also.

Green Team Landscaping
10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
ha. If i were driving that truck i would have been like "Oh Sh!t!". Oh well i wasnt driving so no worries.
Hahahaha. Do they let you drive the big trucks where you work?

MJS
10-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Ok, so I have a customer that lives across the street from a large fire house in my town. Been cutting it for seven years with never a problem. Well I show up this morning and there is a mower swallowing tire rut in the lawn. So I get out and look at the rut. It's about 14" deep and about 12" wide. About 7 feet long. (How heavy is a fire truck? Like a billion pounds:laugh:) I notice a young fire fighter standing near the entrance of the fire house. So I walk over and ask if he knew anything about the rut. He SNAPPED!!!! Starts yelling that he protects this town and BLAH BLAH BLAH. So I ask if the fire chief is around and he said he would be back in ten minutes. I said that I could wait. So I start cutting and the fire chief shows up. I see him walking towards me so I meet him half way. So much nicer and much more pleasant. He said that one of the new guys mis judged a little. We both laughed. He even said that a couple of the guys on his crew didn't want to admit to the damage. I bit my tongue. He asked if I could fix the problem and than directly submit the bill to the fire house in his name. I said that it would not be necessary. It was only a few bags of dirt and some seed. He was a little taken back. I asked if instead of money payment, could I have a ride on the truck. I have never been in a fire truck and have always wanted to pull the horn chain. He smiled and said it would be his pleasure. We have a time set for Sunday. He is even going to give me a tour of the fire house. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I feel like a little school kid.

Sorry for the long post. I re post after the ride.

You know what; that's one of the coolest stories I've ever read on Lawnsite.
Good for you to keep your head when you could have easily lost it. . .
. . . Hope your ride is a blast :waving:

CrystalCreek
10-04-2008, 12:04 AM
You know what; that's one of the coolest stories I've ever read on Lawnsite.
Good for you to keep your head when you could have easily lost it. . .
. . . Hope your ride is a blast :waving:

Thanks man!!! I was just having one of those days. You know day dreaming:sleeping: thinking about an old summer fling:dancing: thinking about some stakes on the grill:drinkup: It was a great day. No clouds in the sky. Just perfect:dancing::dancing::dancing: Guess that kid caught me on the right day. I find myself flying off the handle less and less as time marches on. Maybe I'm getting old:confused::confused:

DUSTYCEDAR
10-04-2008, 12:11 AM
have fun and play with all the switches

dura to the max
10-04-2008, 12:45 AM
have fun on that ride. the first time you ever get on is sweet. to me now...well...its no big deal to get on the fire truck. dont get me wrong, i LOVE FF, but normal driving in the truck gets old.

(be careful w/ the switches...trust me on that)

i also want to apologize for that guys actions. FF's are some of the best people on earth, and i hate that you got that impression of our profession. there are some GREAT people, and then the morons and check collectors, we're not all like that. (and those of us that aint HATE working w/ the guys that are like that.)

supercuts
10-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I spent a lot of time working with and partying with firefighters in my youth. My conclusion was that it attracts a higher than typical proportion of excellent people but ironically also a higher than typical proportion of knuckleheads who are attracted by the prospect of getting a little respect or pay just hanging out at the firehouse. The former carry the latter and do most of the actual benefit to society. Obviously anyone who trenches a neighboring lawn with the truck then doesn't immediately make sure he fixes the problem falls into the knucklehead category.

agreed, having been a member since i was 17 years old, ive come to realize you have alot of the good guys and.......the type the make me not want to ever where my FD T-shirt out in public. it seems the majority of those who wear their shirts to fairs are the grungy, i havent showered in a week, and yes that is remnants of my lunch on my shirt, all while their beer gut protrudes in a horizontal manner with a little bit of gravity helping it.

CrystalCreek
10-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Well the ride was totally amazing. I really want a fire truck. The chief let me look under the hood. Big ol Catapiller acert 16 liter. (I love diesels) I don't know what the manufactures do to the exhaust on these machiens, but they sound so awesome. You really get a great view sitting up in the cab of these trucks. Was definatly the highlight of my week. I will post pics when I get a chance. I am wondering if there is any place I can buy fire truck air horns for my truck. They are LOUD!!!! The chief even shared a few drafts with me. Fire fighters are a great group of guys to hang with. The lawn is healing nicely if your wondering.:laugh:

Kennedy Landscaping
10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Good deal on the ride, gotta see these pictures.

KCfireman
10-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Well the ride was totally amazing. I really want a fire truck. The chief let me look under the hood. Big ol Catapiller acert 16 liter. (I love diesels) I don't know what the manufactures do to the exhaust on these machiens, but they sound so awesome. You really get a great view sitting up in the cab of these trucks. Was definatly the highlight of my week. I will post pics when I get a chance. I am wondering if there is any place I can buy fire truck air horns for my truck. They are LOUD!!!! The chief even shared a few drafts with me. Fire fighters are a great group of guys to hang with. The lawn is healing nicely if your wondering.:laugh:absolutley. Find the nearest Fire Supply store and you should be able to find the horns and sirens there. Do you remember the MFG of the truck? Pierce, E-one, Seagrave, ALF, Ferrara? We should be able to tell by the pics that your gonna post.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-05-2008, 11:03 PM
absolutley. Find the nearest Fire Supply store and you should be able to find the horns and sirens there. Do you remember the MFG of the truck? Pierce, E-one, Seagrave, ALF, Ferrara? We should be able to tell by the pics that your gonna post.

I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark that it was a Sutphen

KCfireman
10-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark that it was a Sutphenwhats a sutphen??? Stuphen?????

farmboy1285
10-05-2008, 11:31 PM
LOL one of the first times I rode in a firetruck I didnt realize that there is a switch to operate the air horn on the floor, so I hop in and wouldnt ya know it my foot landed square on the switch, it took me a good 5 seconds to figure out that it was me blowing the air horn, I was just sittin there like whos the idiot blastin people with the horn!!!??? Glad to hear you got to ride in the truck, it sounds like you had alot of fun with it. I bet all you will be able to think about it fire trucks for the next 72 hours:laugh:

KCfireman
10-05-2008, 11:34 PM
LOL one of the first times I rode in a firetruck I didnt realize that there is a switch to operate the air horn on the floor, so I hop in and wouldnt ya know it my foot landed square on the switch, it took me a good 5 seconds to figure out that it was me blowing the air horn, I was just sittin there like whos the idiot blastin people with the horn!!!??? Glad to hear you got to ride in the truck, it sounds like you had alot of fun with it. I bet all you will be able to think about it fire trucks for the next 72 hours:laugh:ha, i think about them 365!!!!:laugh:

farmboy1285
10-05-2008, 11:36 PM
ha, i think about them 365!!!!:laugh:

LOL I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

dura to the max
10-05-2008, 11:43 PM
LOL I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

try driving one!!! i love it!!!

KCfireman
10-05-2008, 11:57 PM
try driving one!!! i love it!!!i got to respond on my first call as a driver on saturday!

Kennedy Landscaping
10-06-2008, 12:14 AM
i got to respond on my first call as a driver on saturday!

Running hot? See I like the police cars because we can go 10 times faster and stop 10 times quicker when responding to calls. Not to mention they can be handled like none other.

KCfireman
10-06-2008, 12:18 AM
oh yea! I'm pretty sure KS state law requires that an emergency vehicles can only travel 10mph over the designated speed limit.

bill w
10-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Running hot? See I like the police cars because we can go 10 times faster and stop 10 times quicker when responding to calls. Not to mention they can be handled like none other.

Yeah, but if you park that car in the way a truck will move it every time. Done that. Never seen a car move a truck, though.

bill w
10-06-2008, 08:52 AM
whats a sutphen??? Stuphen?????

High dollar aerial. Twin master streams, if I'm not mistaken.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-06-2008, 09:14 AM
oh yea! I'm pretty sure KS state law requires that an emergency vehicles can only travel 10mph over the designated speed limit.

oops! lol..........

Pastaboy62
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM

We have a 1986 Stuphen single stage supply pumper...Its the next truck that is being replaced. Its got 1500 ft of 5inch and 2, 1 3/4 crosslays. When you pump it, it sounds like it is going to blow up.

bill w
10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
We have a 1986 Stuphen single stage supply pumper...Its the next truck that is being replaced. Its got 1500 ft of 5inch and 2, 1 3/4 crosslays. When you pump it, it sounds like it is going to blow up.

Yeah, I didn't realize they made pumpers as well. Back in the '80's the fire service got sold on those (voluntarily deleted expletive) single stage pumps. The smart ones didn't buy into the hype. As an afterthought, if the crosslays had been left off the engine, single stage should be fine for supply.

jtruck618
10-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Fireman can be such tools........

bill w
10-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Fireman can be such tools........

LOL. Don't get me started.

txgrassguy
10-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Glad to see the Chief was okay about the whole episode.
I've worked around paid and volunteer fire fighters for over 25 years. Had a few run ins with snotty guys but overall they are nice people.
Last year had a run in with a real butt hole vfd dude. House next to my office had a minor fire and was extinguished quickly. However this vfd dude parked in front of my shop and blocked access to the main door and personnel door. No way in at all.
The other vfd people are rolling hoses and stowing equipment when my crews start returning to my shop. To make a long story short this one guy simply wouldn't move his truck. Kept saying he "didn't have to". The other vfd people asked him to move and he refused. Another 20 minutes of this, my crews standing around with their johnson's in their hands and he STILL won't move - so I ask him again. Then he gets in another vfd personnel's p.o.v. and rides away - with his truck keys in his pocket. So I pulled his truck away from my shop with my 4X4 tractor and left his truck on the side of the road.
Two hours later he shows up and has a local SO deputy with him - about two minutes later the vfd Chief shows up. Chief apologizes to me, the deputy is just laughing at him and a year later he still glares at me whenever he drives by.
The Chief has asked me repeatedly to join the department and I probably will however I cannot realistically respond to calls during the day as I am often up to forty miles away.
At night/weekends I'll respond but lately it has been more in technical support identifying origin and source issues not bunkering up and pulling a hose.

KCfireman
10-06-2008, 04:13 PM
i was being sarcastic. I know what Stuphen is. They are the original designers of the Mid-Mount aerial and their design is flawless. They also make some really nice pumpers too.:waving:

KCfireman
10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
here's one of my favorite Stuphens: Sedgwick County, KS Fire Department

bill w
10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
i was being sarcastic. I know what Stuphen is. They are the original designers of the Mid-Mount aerial and their design is flawless. They also make some really nice pumpers too.:waving:

Yeah, I figured as much with the way you spelled it & all. LOL