PDA

View Full Version : Striping help

mowerrookie
10-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey guys soo here it is..... I have a 48 Wright stander... a 61 Scag turf tiger...... and a 36 scag walk behind..... im here in Northern virginia and im having a heck of a time stripin the lawns like you all do been tryin all year.... i got a Striper for my scag turf tiger..... anyway a litte tips would be great!! my lawns look great nice and even and green but ready to take it to the next level!! any help would be great i just wana get those nice stripes

Kennedy Landscaping
10-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Alot of guys will tell you to do a search. But how low are you cutting. Your mower should stripe with a striper. Just be sure to make nice stait lines. If your striping is crooked everyone will see. I mow a 3.5 with my Gravely and it stripes good. Just try not to go back over already cut grass, this can kill stripes. Also it depends alot on the grass. I have good luck with fescue and blue grass. But it may vary where you are at. It never hurts to make friends with a local LCO. Find one and if ask them what the trick is in your area. Hope this helped a little bit. Good luck.
Austin

milike
10-02-2008, 09:23 PM
the taller you cut it the bettter it stripes!

mowerrookie
10-02-2008, 09:30 PM
sorry i guess i can search around more next time...

yea im mowin at 3.5 and its alot of fescue.... thanks for the help guys

Kennedy Landscaping
10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
I wasn't trying to be rude when I said alot of guys would just tell you to search around. I was just giving you the heads up that some jerk would say it. If a question is posted, no matter how many times its been previously posted, I try to help and not to bash.

STIHL GUY
10-02-2008, 09:37 PM
better more define stripes are made at higher cutting heights

mowerrookie
10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
i know you werent tryin to bash man.. its all good... lol.. just tryin to figure this stuff out... some of these guys around me do sum crazy nice stripes

1993lx172
10-02-2008, 09:52 PM
High lift blades are a must for striping.

pinto n mwr
10-02-2008, 09:56 PM
do what they do in the super farse bowl and paint the stripes...

cutting height is one aspect but another is to have consistent spacing, meeaing the stripes are the same width in both directions.

Green Team Landscaping
10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
How is it bashing by telling him to do search? Mowerrookie, go to the Scag website and take a looksy. They have lots of stuff on there for you. plenty of info and pics. They also show you how to make your stripes look like you went right through a tree or whatever obstacle you run into.

Baseballman387
10-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, I mow 3" in height but with no striper. I have been doing that in the past couple of years and I learned a lot about it. If the lawn is crappy, you wouldn't see the stripes or maybe a little, but if it's a nice lawn, it would look awesome. Just a suggestion for you. Good luck.

dura to the max
10-02-2008, 11:40 PM
How is it bashing by telling him to do search? Mowerrookie, go to the Scag website and take a looksy. They have lots of stuff on there for you. plenty of info and pics. They also show you how to make your stripes look like you went right through a tree or whatever obstacle you run into.

a bunch of guys on here wont give the time of day, all they say is to do a search, weve talked about it before. truth be told weve talked about most everything on here numerous times before...

http://www.scag.com/showyourstripes.html

this is the site that was previously mentioned...

dura to the max
10-02-2008, 11:48 PM
http://www.scag.com/lawnstriping.html

this one should help too.

newlymowedlawns
10-05-2008, 12:12 AM
I would say just make sure they are straight to start with. Start along a nice straight line such as a driveway or sidewaly. Go down turn around and go straight again. Dont overlap your last cut any. Put the edge of the deck on edge of the last cut line. Its really that simple. Like everyone else has said 3.5" is a good height. Mow that way three of four cuts then go an opposite way. Then you will start laying them in there. After you master that then you can start grtting crazy. Curvy Lines. They get everyone attention.