PDA

View Full Version : BOP Quick Mower Questions

jiacovino
10-02-2008, 09:07 PM
So I'm almost set on ordering a 32'' Quickie Ninja mower from Better Outdoor Products. It's cheaper than most other 32''s and it's a hydro.

I called and spoke to customer service because I'm really curious about how turning one of these mowers goes.

There is no break steering with these, so apparently you have to muscle the mower yourself to turn it. I know it has instant reverse, but is this going to take more energy out of me than a belt-driven walk behind?

It also has a throttle on it. When I have no pressure on the throttle does the mower go into park or into neutral? It's not that hard to trurn a gear-driven 32 by just pressing on the grips and pulling it back toward you. But am I going to have to rely on the instant reverse to do 3 or 5 point turns?

It's either this or I go for a belt-driven Bob-Cat 32'' walk behind.

Any info or suggestions would help.

-Justin

TPS
10-02-2008, 09:51 PM
The quicks are easy to turn. I have a 32 samuri, my first commercial mower. Once you get used to it, it is no problems to do 180s with out the reverse. It's a light mower, if its really wet, you can tip the front wheels up and spin no problem. As far as the throttle is concerened, if you are holding the break pistol down, left side, with no throttle it's more like a neutral. If you let go of both, blades off of course, it's basically park. Theres also a lever on it to switch to roll around mode when the mower is off. I find that easier to used when manuvering around on the trailer, again cause it so light. If you were closer I would offer to sell you mine. Im ready for a bigger one. Good luck to you.

ed2hess
10-03-2008, 07:00 PM
So I'm almost set on ordering a 32'' Quickie Ninja mower from Better Outdoor Products. It's cheaper than most other 32''s and it's a hydro.

I called and spoke to customer service because I'm really curious about how turning one of these mowers goes.

There is no break steering with these, so apparently you have to muscle the mower yourself to turn it.

-Justin

You got it figured correct you provide the braking forces to make the turn. We went to a Scag 32" blelt drive after having a unit with a transmission like is in the single hydro.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-04-2008, 09:49 AM
I've used my Quick 36 for almost a full season now.
I have found with the single hydro, there really isn't any 'muscling' you need to do with the machine. You throw your body weight a bit to do 180's and use the forward lever to 'rocket' yourself around the turn. If you really want to muscle this machine, then by all means come to a complete stop at the end of a run and pivot slowly by your arms only. You will stop that business real soon - BUT once you learn to do smooth turns it becomes habit.

Richard Martin
10-04-2008, 10:39 AM
You got it figured correct you provide the braking forces to make the turn. We went to a Scag 32" blelt drive after having a unit with a transmission like is in the single hydro.

I've got independent braking figured out for that "other" mower that you had. It was actually pretty simple. Sorry, no pics or further descriptions.

deere615
10-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I have a quick 36, its not that hard to turn, there are a few tight spots that I would have to muscle it around but I just use the reverse to whip it around. You don't have to do a 3/5 pt turn usually just one push of the reverse to bring the mower back aorund

dishboy
10-05-2008, 08:57 AM
The quicks are easy to turn. I have a 32 samuri, my first commercial mower. Once you get used to it, it is no problems to do 180s with out the reverse. It's a light mower, if its really wet, you can tip the front wheels up and spin no problem. As far as the throttle is concerened, if you are holding the break pistol down, left side, with no throttle it's more like a neutral. If you let go of both, blades off of course, it's basically park. Theres also a lever on it to switch to roll around mode when the mower is off. I find that easier to used when manuvering around on the trailer, again cause it so light. If you were closer I would offer to sell you mine. Im ready for a bigger one. Good luck to you.

Can you post pictures of the cut (close up) from the Quikie , and do they have a real mulch kit for the 32"?

RocketLab
10-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Can you post pictures of the cut (close up) from the Quikie , and do they have a real mulch kit for the 32"?

I have the 32 Samurai and turning becomes 2nd nature. The only excessive muscling is on slopes. Not a real mulch kit, just a block off plate. BOP sent me some Oregon Hi Lifts that seem to mulch better than the standard blades. I tried the Gators but had problems with a center strip being left uncut on tall stuff.

Only cut pic I have.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3/mrcerveza/LawnPic01.jpg

dishboy
10-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I have the 32 Samurai and turning becomes 2nd nature. The only excessive muscling is on slopes. Not a real mulch kit, just a block off plate. BOP sent me some Oregon Hi Lifts that seem to mulch better than the standard blades. I tried the Gators but had problems with a center strip being left uncut on tall stuff.

Only cut pic I have.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3/mrcerveza/LawnPic01.jpg

Thanks for the picture , try the Exmark mulch blade you should not have the center cut problem with those blades.

TPS
10-05-2008, 12:14 PM
I dont have any pics. I use the mulch plate with the regular blades sometimes and never had any problems with uncut strips. I never had any problems with the mower at all other then being a little slow.

LushGreenLawn
10-05-2008, 05:20 PM

How much do you want for yours, and how old is it?

TPS
10-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Sent you a PM.

Jeffjob
10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Sent you a PM.

TPS, are you still interested in selling your 32" BOP?

Can you PM me some information. I am in the market to purchase.

Thanks, Jeff

TPS
10-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes I'll PM you.