PDA

View Full Version : Gravely Metal Cracked!

GravelyGuy
10-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Allright I love the way my 260Z cuts and the mower is very rugged, but I have to call it out on this. I just noticed today that there are cracks on the bulkhead that holds the frame, footpanel, and front castor arms together. Both sides have cracks.

These are serious friggin cracks. The pictures don't really show, but the cracks are all the way through the metal, not just the paint.

I also included a pic where the bolt broke off in the deck where the belt cover is held on for the second time! I drilled the first out, I'm taking this one in to get fixed.

The mower has just under 500 hours on it so it should all be covered under warranty. Anyone familiar with this issue? I remember someone bringing up cracks a while back. I can't find the thread now.

nboeger4
10-02-2008, 10:49 PM
i have a gravely walk behind and today the front left wheel broke off where the wheel connects to the mower itself. if this even makes any sense without pics. lol. and this mower only has around 400 hours on it.

GravelyGuy
10-02-2008, 10:52 PM
i have a gravely walk behind and today the front left wheel broke off where the wheel connects to the mower itself. if this even makes any sense without pics. lol. and this mower only has around 400 hours on it.

Now your just making Gravely look bad lol. You got to get a pic of this.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Man that sucks. I just bought a Gravely about three weeks ago. I'm going out to look at mine right now to see if it is cracked

Tharrell
10-03-2008, 06:17 AM
I have a Bob-Cat wb and a Scag wb that have had cracks like that. Tony

topsites
10-03-2008, 06:22 AM
That's normal, especially on fixed decks but most any mower the steel will eventually do that,
one of the main reasons why higher-end commercial models have 7-gauge decks and frames...
You may notice some lower-priced 'commercial' brands of mowers, always check the gauge of
the steel because I can about guarantee it's not 7-gauge (i.e.: it's thinner!).
So that's one of the main reasons why we pay 3-4 thousand for a belt-drive, the gauge of the steel.

Now if the cracks get to be a concern, my 10-year old Toro Wb is starting to get like that,
you can have it spot-welded just seal up the crack with a weld and gtg.

freedm2
10-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Allright I love the way my 260Z cuts and the mower is very rugged, but I have to call it out on this. I just noticed today that there are cracks on the bulkhead that holds the frame, footpanel, and front castor arms together. Both sides have cracks.

These are serious friggin cracks. The pictures don't really show, but the cracks are all the way through the metal, not just the paint.

I also included a pic where the bolt broke off in the deck where the belt cover is held on for the second time! I drilled the first out, I'm taking this one in to get fixed.

The mower has just under 500 hours on it so it should all be covered under warranty. Anyone familiar with this issue? I remember someone bringing up cracks a while back. I can't find the thread now.

Looks like the piece that cracked is just a bolt-on piece. No big deal. Now if a welded on piece broke... That's different story.

What gauge is the metal? Looks like 7?

JimQ
10-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Hey GravelGuy,

Does your machine have semi-pneumatic (Flat Free) tires up front? How about you Nboeger4?

Q

GravelyGuy
10-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I guess if you guys say so. I wouldn't think it's normal for a mower that's less than two years old. Fortunately it is just a bolt on piece from the looks of thinks so it should be an easy fix for my dealer. It might only take them 10 days this time:rolleyes: I would estimate the metal to be about 7 when comparing to the deck.

JimQ, No my tires are not flat frees.

bob
10-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I have a 272z with the Turbo-Diesel. I'll check mine tomorrow. I have belt cover bolts break off at least 2 times each every year. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=228582&highlight=belt+cover

nboeger4
10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
my mower has the flat free tires in the front. and no i didnt take a picture. ill try to take a picture of what it looks like after the weld.

DiyDave
10-05-2008, 06:58 PM
My LAST gravely had over 40 hrs of (my) welding in it, before I finally sold it. they are under engineered flimsy crap, and their dealers do not warrantee anything, in my experience. Sell, and run like the wind from gravely!:cool2::cool2:

GravelyGuy
10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
My LAST gravely had over 40 hrs of (my) welding in it, before I finally sold it. they are under engineered flimsy crap, and their dealers do not warrantee anything, in my experience. Sell, and run like the wind from gravely!:cool2::cool2:

More info please.

DiyDave
10-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Sorry, gravelyguy, do a search of this site, I bet the list of defects of that particular machine is still archived, but I don't have time to go through it all tonight. Good luck!:waving:

MOturkey
10-05-2008, 08:32 PM
I have the exact same mower, with 550 hours. I'll look tomorrow to see if there are any cracks. I've done a lot of bouncing the last year. :)

bob
10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I just checked my 272z and don't see any cracks and I've done wheelies with my mower! That part of the mower doesn't appear to be part of the main frame. It basically holds the foot rest and covers the piviting axle assembly.