PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have luck with Craigslist?

shovelracer
10-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I posted an ad on Craigslist as a feeler. I got 20 responses in 12 hours. 90% were from 20 year olds using their girlfriends email. All were desperate for $$$. One was so bold as to tell me he's been professionally landscaping since he was 12, knew everything, and that he wont work for $10 on the books. He demanded at least $15 cash. Thats pretty bold for a 22 year old.

Posting was for basic maintenance labor, blow leaves, drag tarp. All pay on the books ( duh ).

Anyone ever get a good worker from craigs? The want ads proved useless.

mikecaldwell1204
10-03-2008, 12:33 AM
10 an hour seems pretty low for New Jersey, but I could be wrong on that. And yes the majority of craiglisters are going to suck. Just look at all the phony stuff/scams that go on everyday.

topsites
10-03-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm having to guess here, that the general consensus in America is that the
worker should earn more per hour than the owner, right?

Because if that's not the case, then I foresee these working folks earning
somewhere closer to minimum wage, that's what this job pays and so long
they don't like it they can also keep looking, and keep looking because the
unemployment percents are not coming down right now and guys like myself
don't care if someone else wants to be a part of the statistics.

And that may sound unreasonable but I say just let them keep looking, because
the way it works is the closer the unemployed get to being completely broke,
the more reasonable they should become.

Tired of folks paying through the nose one, but the other hand expecting the
stuff to be handed to them on a silver platter, this is exactly what got us in
this mess we are in today and it is not what's going to fix the problem, so the
sooner these kids get with the program the better lol.

And if things don't improve, why they can just keep right on looking, too.
As for me, I got work to do, and it don't pay much but at least it puts food
on the table and it keeps the lights on, peace out.

NNJLandman
10-03-2008, 06:37 PM
For NJ $10 isn't low, its fair in most cases for what you get. My pay scale ranges from $9-$15/hr for different employees here in NJ. You get all types!

Anyway back to the topic, I posted on Craigslist last year proabably for the same thing, fall cleanup help. And...I got the same response you got, maybe 20 responses in 12 hours, maybe 1 or 2 that were serious, a couple advertisments, a couple desperate for money, people who sent me resumes...just a enormous melting pot of responses. I'm not sure what area your in, I think Sussex? Let me know I might know some legit people looking for work or can make some suggestions. In my case I'm lucky enough on most days I have friends or friends of friends that I can get to work here and there for a resonable price when I need the help. Worse comes to worse I have a large hispanic population that is always out in force looking for work that is available but the "herd" does get smaller this time of year, so you have to get there early...but the again, I've had hispanics I have worked with at other LCO's and have had work for me, I get there number I see em around, see if they know anyone looking for work etc. I usta have a really good Hispanic guy that I could call and the # didn't matter, if I need 1, 2, 10, workers they were there in the morning...great guy. Anyway sorry for going on and on, but if your looking for cheap labor it might be more difficult then you think, but gimme a PM about your location, I might be able to help.

Jeff

shovelracer
10-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the words. It was just a feeler. I have I hope everything worked out. Just was looking at a backup plan and to see what was out there. Considering that blowing leaves and simple labor tasks requires very little educated skill, than $10 is more than fare. What I dont tell them is that if they stay till the last day than they get a holiday bonus that usually amounts to several hundred dollars each. Funny cause some of the older guys I used to have would stick it out just for that, and they would tell the kids of this, but they would still bail a week or two early cause things started slowing down and it was usually damn cold. Considering the burger joints and gas stations both pay $8.50, 10 is fair. Im fair also and if a person earns their share than they usually will get a raise real fast. Problem is if you tell everyone your hiring at 12-13 for experience than all of a sudden everyone is an expert. Prove yourself than we'll talk.

JTS Landscaping lawn
10-04-2008, 02:59 PM
ive had pretty good luck with craigslist not as many was thinking but its free advertisement. did get couple of good jobs

zohhhsix
10-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I have had over 20 employees from craigslist and EVERY single one was a mistake. I will never even hire another person from their. I tried paying from 10 to 16 an hr but still no luck. There is a reason they have no job and are looking on craigs ...I wasted my time and energy and longest anyone works is maybe 3 weeks. They just want 1 paycheck and then survive for a month and find another job. I would would stay away...

jiggz
10-05-2008, 02:28 PM
last year we needed somebody,, i wanted to give the job to someone i knew.. but nobody needed a job soo i was sorta holding out to see if i could get somebody threw somebody.. anyhoo the other dude i work with threw up an add on craigslist and we got this white gangsta looking kid that showed up.. I'm like OH GREAT!!.. i told him he could come with us today and see how it works out..he stayed with us the rest of the season.. i think i gave him 10 an hour cash.. im still friends with him today and i cant say anything bad about him besides being a 6 time felon hahahah he was one of the hardest most reliable workers ive ever had though

CHUCK'SLAWN
10-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Only luck I ever had on Craigs list is finding crack heads and alcoholics

DuallyVette
10-08-2008, 08:19 PM
An LCO friend of mine recommended Craigslist. Putting an ad in the Charlotte Observer(newspaper) automatically puts your ad on "careerBuilder.com" for a month. Minumum fee is over $400. You get the same type of responses from either. To fill a more professional position, Careerbuilder may be a better venue. I'll go for Craigslist 1st.

kearneywalnut
10-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I got maybe 15 responses from craigslist. I filtered out a lot of prospective employee's by making them fill out a long application, maybe half didn't bother to fill it out, or didn't know how to use it. So I got to do a lot of prescreening. The kid I have working now is working better than the other 8 guys I went through this summer that were friends of friends etc. I also have a perspective crew leader for next year lined up from Craigslist. I would say that by making your job description a bit more intimidating you may weed out more of the alcoholics...

DuallyVette
10-20-2008, 12:53 AM
I got maybe 15 responses from craigslist. I filtered out a lot of prospective employee's by making them fill out a long application, maybe half didn't bother to fill it out, or didn't know how to use it. So I got to do a lot of prescreening. The kid I have working now is working better than the other 8 guys I went through this summer that were friends of friends etc. I also have a perspective crew leader for next year lined up from Craigslist. I would say that by making your job description a bit more intimidating you may weed out more of the alcoholics...

How about some details on the application. Did you e-mail it to them? What would make the application "long" compared to the usual:education, work history, etc.?

kearneywalnut
10-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Well I made the description sound like I wanted someone with a bunch of skills, or at least motivation etc. Must have transport to work. That gets rid of a lot of people... Says that they must be able to pass drug testing. I plan on continuing to run the only chem free LCO in my area...

As far as the application, I emailed it to them as a word Doc. People who couldn't open a word document weren't as highly rated. The application had all the usual stuff, but also the criminal record and driving record. Personal references etc. Just more than a simple application. If they put in the effort to fill out the 4 pages then they were looked at much more clearly. You can also read into the type of people they are by their formality in e-mailing. Lots of grammatical errors or misspellings, or any text message writing, lack of capitals. Also the speed of followup.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
11-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I might need to try that !!
I put up my card on there and they called my ceel for the job . I would talk to them for a sec and then told them to email me back with there name and what we talked aboult, since I was on the job. Only 25% emailed me .
I like when// Do you have EXP in this kind of work // Yep I have EXP since I mow my yard!!! LOL
But its free