PDA

View Full Version : employees...need i say more?

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 12:18 AM
i know we all hate the employee threads, but i need to start another one...

about 3-4 weeks ago right after my f/t guy quit i called a former employee that ive kept in contact w/ that is only working p/t now. he was not able to work that day but said that his brother might be willing to help me out. i was hesitant but decided to try him once. he worked great, and started working regularly. he has no license, and normally i have to pick him up (not an issue mostly b/c i live close). well friday of week 2 he had a ride to my place, i waited 45 minutes and he didnt show, (his cell phone was off) and then left to go at it solo. he calls me as i pull out saying that he was lost and asked if he could meet me at the cornere store, i was busy enough to say yes b/c i needed him. he gets in apologizing and starts into this story about how he got in trouble the night before and got locked up:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:. i shrug it off knowing the caliper of person that our industry gets, and we finished the day, it being friday i went to cut his check and he asked for $50 to pay back part of his bail. reluctantly i give it to him, w/ the promise that the first day of the following week he would work it off. well the next friday comes (a week previous to tomorrow) and i go to figuring his hours minus the $50, and he asks if he can work it off the following week. very reluctant this time i say ok. (this is after i had taken him to meet w/ his probation officer that morning, VERY reluctant again, but i wanted to try and help him and we werent too busy that day anyway). well he worked it off monday, and we were square on money. he had tuesday off, and he was supposed to go do some work for one of my customers on wednsday (he wasnt working for me, he was working for the customer) well he doesnt show. that was yesterday, last night (not knowing that he didnt show) i call and tell him that ill be at his place between 7:30-8 to pick him up. i pulled up at 7:50 and he aint waiting like he usually does, i blew the horn and still no show. 5 minutes later i go to the door and knock, and knock....no-one comes (people could be heard in the background) and finally after 10 minutes his aunt comes to the door and says he didnt come home last night. his phone was off so i couldnt get in touch w/ him...so i re-route the day and go about my business. he doesnt bother to call till noon, saying that he was in a wreck last night (in some guys drive way) and had to go to the hospital...(i do know that some serious wrecks can happen in driveways)...

after all this he still wants a job, and honestly he works pretty good, i just cant count on him...

i do want to know whether the wreck actually happened, and i aint sure how to find out w/o offending him and/or calling him a liar.

i really aint asking for advice, although it will be appreciated, i just wanted to vent so,e i guess.

richallseasons
10-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm not giving any advise but I gotta ask, even if he is a good worker do you really need to be involved in his insanity? It sounds like he has problems that you dont need.

meets1
10-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Cut him. I feel your pain about good worker bad judgments. But you, life, your business must go on and time is clicken - ya could of been training new guy all this time and not caught up in this guys hype.

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 12:36 AM
thats what im trying to decide...the season is about up...should i stick it out?

HOOLIE
10-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Keep him. I want to hear the next chapter in this sad story.

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Keep him. I want to hear the next chapter in this sad story.

i could write a book. let it make best seller. then all the headaches tha he causes me will make me rich! i wont ever have to worry about anyone working for me again. (except the transcriptionist, editor, publisher, illustrator, printer, binder, etc)

MileHigh
10-03-2008, 12:50 AM
He may be a good worker...be he is not reliable so don't ever count on him to be.

Sounds like he'll end up screwing you over in the long run..jmo

good luck Dura

HOOLIE
10-03-2008, 12:52 AM
i could write a book. let it make best seller. then all the headaches tha he causes me will make me rich! i wont ever have to worry about anyone working for me again. (except the transcriptionist, editor, publisher, illustrator, printer, binder, etc)

Yeah...I have quite a few 'unwritten books' that would be best-sellers too :laugh:

Your guy sounds like this guy Anthony I once hired...we all know the type...29 years old, renting a room in a house, no car, no bank account, YET the man was already planning his retirement. Retirement would imply that one actually worked at some point in their life...man, this guy would just say the stupidest stuff like "All I know is if the ATM says I got $40, then I got $40, I think the whole bounced check this is just crap they make up to steal my money" :laugh:

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 12:54 AM
i know, i just hate trying to find a new guy then training him too. should i finish the season w/ this joker? it aint that much longer....this is number 3 for the season

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah...I have quite a few 'unwritten books' that would be best-sellers too :laugh:

Your guy sounds like this guy Anthony I once hired...we all know the type...29 years old, renting a room in a house, no car, no bank account, YET the man was already planning his retirement. Retirement would imply that one actually worked at some point in their life...man, this guy would just say the stupidest stuff like "All I know is if the ATM says I got $40, then I got $40, I think the whole bounced check this is just crap they make up to steal my money" :laugh:

and it seems that this type is about all i can fined to actually get some "work" out of. most people wont get dirty...and if they do they dont last more than a few weeks

MileHigh
10-03-2008, 01:49 AM
i should i finish the season w/ this joker? it aint that much longer...

I would try to for sure.

Micheal2008
10-03-2008, 02:08 AM
Thats why im glad im starting up with my brother, I wont have to worry about hiring slackers and he will want to do a good job/ get it done because it will make him more money as well and will help out our bussiness..

topsites
10-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Well hey look at least you're square on the money, so he's a bum but
if you want to give the man some advice I would have to say he
should lay off on the drinking (and I ain't talking about soda lol).

That really seems to be the root of things here, and I could be wrong but it sure has
all the ingredients to a serious drinking problem, now I wouldn't expect much
in terms of a miracle but I think it might be worth mentioning.

Oh, and best of luck to you guys, hope it works out, some kind of way.

soloscaperman
10-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Whats the point of having a "good" worker if he isn't reliable?

My advice:

Sit down and talk to him about how you feel.

N.TX
10-03-2008, 05:30 AM
Tell him one more chance.... no more screw ups ... when that one more time comes then let him go.

coolluv
10-03-2008, 07:45 AM
What part of Georgia are you in? My solution to your problem is,cut this dumba$$ now before you get burned. You are lucky he hasn't yet. This guy is trouble. My solution is get a Latino. Legal of course. They are hard to find but they do exist. With construction in the toilet,there are many available. They show up on time and will work all day with no BS.

Dave...

brucec32
10-03-2008, 11:01 AM
My business model has relied on this sort of thing. It's why I have no problems finding new customers and have remained solo in recent years. There is a steady flow of new customers anytime I need them (which isn't often) as their last company sometimes did decent work but couldn't manage to show up on time reliably. The reason is employees.

The math involved makes it nearly impossible to function with employees until you get big enough that you can cover for missing workers. Combine this fact with the low wages and poor work conditions that result in high turnover and you're lucky if you can get by.

The smaller the operation the more crucial reliable employees are.

If you have 2 employees plus an owner working in the field himself at 50% capacity due to his other duties, and one guy no-shows you've lost 40% of your labor for that day. If he never comes back you're losing that 40% for day after day until he's replaced. The backlog quickly gets out of hand. This is not a business where people will just forget about you no-showing from time to time.

Maybe the owner can step up and work 100% capacity in the field and still get his other duties done by working very long days. That still puts you down 20% in the work you can get done. Maybe your other employee will step up and work 10% more. But probably not for long, as this is already hard tiring work even with regular hours. You're still down around 16% (trust me on the math) on available labor. That still translates to a LOT of pissed off customers.

What's worse is because of the owner's desperation to get someone new in working fast, you're more likely to accept a less qualified worker and you're already too busy working in the field and doing your other duties to spend much time doing proper searching and screening. This just reinforces the high-turnover vicious cycle.

dura to the max
10-07-2008, 05:37 PM
well he came to work monday, (i let him sit friday after the no-show/"wreck" incident that he claimed thursday. the wreck was claimed to be in the county i work in and our FD was never called out.) he worked monday and asked for pay at the end of the day (i gave it to him since i had not allowed him to work friday). he was supposed to be at the shop at 7:15 this morning and wasnt here when i got there at 7:20 (shop drive is right next to the house so i know he didnt show and leave and he would have called my phone). i figured he was a no-show changed my schedule and left at 7:45 (still no Mark). needless to say he is done. its neat how it works out too, last night i had a former employee ask about coming back (he left to go to college and it didnt work out for this semester). i told him that i had a guy as of now but that i would love to fire him (i HATE actually firing people though) and that i would try and work it out. well i called him today and he starts thursday. he's the best help ive ever had and he knows all my equipment and lawns. i cant wait, he knows the businees, my lawns, equipment, how i work, and is reliable! i dont have to train a new guy! i have reliable help!