PDA

View Full Version : Storage Racks

bobcatuser
10-02-2008, 11:43 PM
I need to build storage racks for my attachments and buckets. Dose anyone have pictures of what they use? I'm thinking standard warehouse racks are a good start.

Gravel Rat
10-03-2008, 12:10 AM
What type of attachments and for a skid steer or a excavator ?

I would build the rack out of pressure treated timber with the price of steel wood is cheaper.

I'am assuming you want to built a rack in your yard if this is for a trailer then you will have to go steel.

bobcatuser
10-03-2008, 01:00 AM
The excavator buckets don't take much room but this stuff dose...dozer blade, roller,box blade,landscape rake,grapple,sweeper,breaker,6 buckets and 2 tailgate salters.

I never thought about building with wood.

Junior M
10-03-2008, 08:40 AM
When dad was in business he had the same problem so he got the warehouse racks, they were just tall enough that the 773 could put a bucket on the very top. I believe each section inbetween the posts you could get two attachments, depending on the width of the attachment.. But sorry I dont have any pics of them..

If you are going to put the racks outside I wouldnt recommend wood. Just because the lumber will twist and bow and make the shelves just look crappy, and then the sun will fade the lumber out making it a really ugly gray color..

DUSTYCEDAR
10-03-2008, 08:49 AM
wood rots and cracks
steel and dont be cheep as someone could be killed if it falls down

bobcat_ron
10-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I was going to build one with (6) 6x6's, and 2x10's on the bottom with 2x4's every 12 O/C and 1x4 strapping for the decking, the upper deck would be 2x6's as it would be for the buckets. The lower deck would be for the jack hammer and heavier attachments.
But time and money was an issue. I would look around at a machine shop, sometimes they have racks they want to get rid off or even auction sites.

kreft
10-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I have a set-up for my grass catchers. I have some picture on here but forget Where.

Ill find a link.

kreft
10-03-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=188651

Junior M
10-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Not to hijack your thread bobcatuser but I got one question for kreft about a pic in thread of his equipment.

Kreft are you over width with the forks on the side of your trailer? I assume its 96in wide and wouldnt the forks put it over the legal width of 102in?

Gravel Rat
10-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Steel isn't cheap in B.C. your looking at easy 2-3 dollars a pound. If you can't weld then your paying a welder 80-100 dollars per hour.

You build the rack out of pressure treated wood it will last 15 years. Make the uprights to hold the shelves out of 6x6 timbers and the shelves out of 3x6 or 4x6 planks.

Another thing about wood is if you hit it with the machine it won't damage the machine and you don't have a bent shelf.

That warehouse rack stuff will be all rusted to h*ll in 2 months.

Also steel on steel is slippery and it also creates more rust.

10-03-2008, 06:22 PM
used warehouse racking can be found pretty easy for relatively cheap. Its simple and quick to put together, super strong, and the height between shelves is adjustable. Oh and you can get in different length shelving. Ask your local tool/hardware stores if they have used pallet racking inventory for sale. Watch business auctions/liquidations also.