PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Have Trouble???

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
10-03-2008, 02:10 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else has trouble getting answers and or help on here. Not trying to sound like a jerk I promise. I am just wondering.

I asked yesterday about what kind of Blades I should get for my Gravely ZT 2148. I want high lift mulching blades and was wondering what everyone else is using, were you got them and if you like them. The blades I have on it now came with the mower that I bought used and it came with a brand new spare set but I dont like them. They are high lift but just dont mulch. I see that some of you guys love the Gator Blades and some of you hate them. I am looking for something I can use year round on fescue lawns and leaves when they decide to come down. Thanks and again not trying to sound like a jerk with my opening statement.

topsites
10-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Well it's just some of the guys here like a good joke as much as the next guy,
you see, and seeing how there is no such thing as what you speak of it just
gave one of us the next opening line lmao :p

So here I am waiting, come on y'all, make it good lol

Now...
In the Yin and the Yang of it all, I don't think it's that I mind helping per se,
it's just that I find these helpful ways aren't always appreciated and that bugs the
crap out of me somedays so then humor likes to set that straight, and right it sure isn't
but I am beginning to think that is how that works.

But back to the subject at hand, you're either getting mulching blades or you're getting high lifters,
because once you cut that sail into mulching fins you lose the lift so, and I'm not saying it is totally
impossible there could exist a few high lift mulchers out there, but as a rule it's one or the other.
'k

Peace

JimQ
10-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey Jeff,

There are a lot of very knowledgeable, helpful guys who spend a lot of time around here. I think the part of the reason you might not have heard much was because not too many guys have experience with the type of machine you mentioned.

The problem is, the same blade doesn't always perform the same in different decks.

If your looking for a general recommendation, I'll try. I missed your question yesterday.

Oregon makes what they call a "3 in 1" blade. I supposed to work well side discharging, mulching and collecting. It's a little different that the standard Gator blade.

I can tell you from experience, It's definitely a compromise between a mulching blade and a high lift blade. It doesn't work as well as a true mulching blade in a mulching application and doesn't work as well as a highlift for side discharge, But it does work better than trying to mulch with a highlift and vice-versa.

Here's the 3 in 1. It has a short sail at the end of the blade

This is a standard Gator.

BTW - 21" blades are shown. Don't try to use those P/N's for your machine

Q

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
10-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Jim I do appreciate it, I got on Oregons website and was looking a little more now that you have helped steer me in the right direction. I mower for a new guy the other day and a really thick Rye( I believe it was a rye grass, it wasn't a fescue or a bermuda) yard that hadnt been mowed in a couple of weeks, or since he bought the house. I mowed it twice and had to blow the clippings down because of the lack of mulching. I know you said that you tryed those blades correct?? If so I know you said that it is a compromising blade but really, how well does it work?? Were you happy with it or pissed off that you wasted money or what because this blade seems to have all the characteristics I want met. Thanks again Jim

mississippiturf
10-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Not only does the deck have a huge impact on what type blades work best, the type of grass, height, and speed of cut are also factors. I've heard of guys using two blades per spindle, one high-lift and one mukching to get the desired results. As was mentioned, there is not a definitive answer to your question. I, personally use high lifts in mid to late summer and mulching blades w/kit the rest of the time on my untra-cut deck.

dishboy
10-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Mulching performance is VERY dependent on deck design , that said and since you don't have the new Walker mulch deck I would say the Exmark mulch blade is probably your best choice. Unless you are willing to take a grinder to the rear of your deck to copy the Walker deck then a Toro deflector in each chamber will aid in mulching leaves.

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
10-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I appreciate everyones responses. You guys keep saying it depends on my deck for this to work and that to work, I just want a good high lift mulching blade. Jim kind of steered me in the right direction, but now its starting to end up like a lot of the other threads on here, ( and dont get me wrong, I know there are variables and that different things cause different stuff to happen) a question ( good or bad ) is asked, that person gets a couple of good answers and the rest of the people come on here going well, if you are using a blue belt on a black spindle as opposed to a black belt on a blue spindle the blade will be different. I'm no mechanic, Im new to the business, I read on here like crazy trying to learn as much as possible, and the search tab normally answers most of my questions. It didn't this time so I am asking you people, landscapers and lawn care workers of all walks of life, backgrounds, levels of management in the business, dealers and even the guy who pulls weeds wishing he could be running the trimmers and maybe one day work up to be the guy on the mower. Does anyone know if they make a good high lift mulching blade, and if so, who?? My Deck is 48", 3- 16.25" blades with 5/8" center holes, I believe 10 guage steel, double stamped ( I think, I am trying to make sure right now.) What else would you guys like to know. No mulching kit.

Not trying to sound like a dickhead but I feel that because a lot of you guys have been in the business 10+ years and that you dont mow, you have 15 guys do it for you and that you can sit here all day long reading idiots like me's questions and bust their balls about it instead of remembering that 10 years ago when you started out in this business, you didn't know your ass from a hole in the ground and maybe some of you would lighten up and help other guys out instead of being dicks. Everybodies got start somewhere and I thought this site was designed to help other guys out among many other things.:hammerhead:

MileHigh
10-05-2008, 03:14 PM
gotta choose one or the other. high lifts or mulch blades with kit, can't get the best of both worlds.

and nope no problems getting info on here at all...the members are great!

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
10-05-2008, 03:23 PM
blade, what about those 3 in 1 blades?? any experiences with them?? And what about the gator magnums? They are supposed to be mulching and high lifts. Just wondering if you or anyone else has had any experience with them. Thanks

Richard Martin
10-05-2008, 05:28 PM
You're really going to have to start trying different blades to find what you want. I've tried so many different combos and types of blades I can't remember them all. I've tried every kind of Gator, double blades of many variations from a single double on the left side blade to full sized hi lift with a smaller blade on top of that. I did Meg-Mos, wavy mulchers and just about everything in between. The blades I keep coming back to are the stock Dixie Chopper hi lifts. I do like the looks of these blades that JimQ posted above and I'm probably going to look into the Meg-Mos again.

GravelyGuy
10-05-2008, 05:45 PM
My 260Z has like 495 hours on it and it's on it's second set of blades. The first set was destroyed right after I got from a huge rock. How do you guys go through so many?

Kennedy Landscaping
10-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, sometimes it seems like you post a thread and everyone just ignores it. That's why I try to post comments and good things in the threads I read, figure maybe if I'm nice to them they will actually come look at my thread, you're not the only one.

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
10-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Thank You, Finally someone else who feels my pain!! Lawn Freak, Ive tried to be nice to people on here and not be an opinionated A$$hole like I normally can be and most of the time am, tryed to keep my swearing down and tryed to give advise if I have any, and yeah, Most of the time get NO help. What ever happen to Karma??? GravelyGuy, what kind of blades do you use and or like for a gravely ZT 2148 ZTR??

gene gls
10-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else has trouble getting answers and or help on here. Not trying to sound like a jerk I promise. I am just wondering.

I asked yesterday about what kind of Blades I should get for my Gravely ZT 2148. I want high lift mulching blades and was wondering what everyone else is using, were you got them and if you like them. The blades I have on it now came with the mower that I bought used and it came with a brand new spare set but I dont like them. They are high lift but just dont mulch. I see that some of you guys love the Gator Blades and some of you hate them. I am looking for something I can use year round on fescue lawns and leaves when they decide to come down. Thanks and again not trying to sound like a jerk with my opening statement.

Contact mowmore.com, thier sales book has the best blade discripton of any that I have seen. Aftermarket blades are not that expensive to experiment with until you find what works best for you.

JimQ
10-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Jeff,

I can only speak to the mulching performance of the "3 in 1". I haven't used it for side discharge.

In summary, I feel like the 3 in 1 is a better mulching blade than a low-lift discharge blade, but did not perform as well as a standard Gator.

I've attached an excerpt from a test report. The conversion to .pdf isn't pretty.

Q

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
10-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Jim, I greatly appreciate the PDF study, and everyone elses responses on here. I think Im just gonna order a couple of sets and see what happens, I just hate shelling out money to see what happens. Thanks again and any more comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff.