PDA

View Full Version : "Professional" Lawn Care

lawnstriper23
10-03-2008, 12:26 PM
So I came home from work one day to find this schmoo cutting the common area behind my house. I have told the management company for my development that one day somebody is going to get hurt using a ztr on the mound behind my house. Whelp, this guy made it all the way from the top of the mound to the base without getting hurt, but it could have been worse. The only thing that was damaged was the turf (the same turf that I fertilize, weed, overseed, aerate, etc) and probably this kids feelings. I am sure you can see the damage caused by the laziness to use a walk behind mower. This was being cut on a rainy day and you should see the ztr's rear tires. Not a good combination....What a schmuck....

tbettis
10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
can you explain to me why you can cut a hilly yard with a ztr because i was stopped in my yard yesterday by another lco the other day while pressure washing my driveway and was told that the yard needs to be cut with a push mower. and that my current lco cutting the lawn with a ztr is wrong..any suggestions

lawnstriper23
10-03-2008, 01:56 PM
So, over the 5 years that I have lived in my current home there has been three times I have personally witnessed a ztr being flipped on this mound (I even assisted one of the times with helping the operator because he was stuck under the machine). The person cutting usually drives horizontal with the mound (which you can see in the picture by the tire tracks) which I think is putting yourself at risk because of the slope of the mound. Now I am not an expert, but when you see ztr being flipped this many times you have to wonder. :confused:

Green Team Landscaping
10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
He should have cut the hill up and down not side to side.

FIRESCOOBY
10-03-2008, 04:10 PM
He should have cut the hill up and down not side to side.

That hill would like *&^( if you cut it up and down. You'd have to raise the deck at the top to keep from scalping, and keeping it even would be difficult. Plus at the bottom, you'd have uncut grass from the approach angle.

lawnstriper23
10-03-2008, 04:32 PM
That hill would like *&^( if you cut it up and down. You'd have to raise the deck at the top to keep from scalping, and keeping it even would be difficult. Plus at the bottom, you'd have uncut grass from the approach angle.

This is the reason I suggested the walk behind. I just think the slope of the mound is too steep with a ztr, especially when damp and basically slicks for tires.

Green Team Landscaping
10-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh I guess the slope is steeper than it looks, but I think using a push mower would be stupid to use. Maybe at the bottom for the part where the mower couldnt reach, but the whole thing, thats stupid.

02DURAMAX
10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah he should be using a walk behind.

tbettis
10-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah he should be using a walk behind.

exactly what the lco told me.. i just thought he was trying to underbid the guy who does my lawn on the sly by saying that the guy was burning my lawn using the tractor on my hilly lawn.. he says he'll get 3 guys with push mowers to mow the lawn correctly..i just dont know

Green Team Landscaping
10-03-2008, 09:02 PM
In this guy's defense, what if he can't afford a walkbehind? Sure they're cheap, and it would be a whole lot more expensive to repair it after it's flipped up-side-down on that hill, but maybe this is his biggest source of income, and he thinks "Hey if the eXmark can do it, maybe a little rought, why do I need a walkbehind?". If the managment hasn't said anything about it, you may want to have a word with them, but you cant come across as if you wanted to take the job for yourself and steal if from this guy.

Lawn-Sharks
10-03-2008, 09:09 PM
That hill must be steeper then it looks? because i mow culverts & hills all the time that are so steep one of my drive wheels is in reverse just to keep the mower going strait, and i have had no rollover problems with my 52" ZTR :) experience might help though! I will agree a WB would be safer for these kind of conditions...

kreft
10-03-2008, 09:15 PM
I cut bigger and steeper hills like that before.

Time is money!

Mowerboy04
10-03-2008, 09:20 PM
i cut a few hills that are that steep with my ztr but i don't recoment it i've almost fliped a few times but i'm to lazzy to get my walk behind off the trailer:hammerhead:

MJS
10-03-2008, 09:21 PM
I cut bigger and steeper hills like that before.

Time is money!

And, with all due respect, neither matter so very much if you get trapped under a 1,500 lb. ztr, when you could have used a walk behind.

kreft
10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
And, with all due respect, neither matter so very much if you get trapped under a 1,500 lb. ztr, when you could have used a walk behind.

Rops and seat belts. Don't think i will get trapped under one.

MJS
10-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Rops and seat belts. Don't think i will get trapped under one.

True, but the guy in the picture didn't have rops. . .

J&R Landscaping
10-03-2008, 10:57 PM
"If theres time to do it over, there was time to do it right."
"No job is so important and no service is to urgent that we can not take time to perform our work safley."

I'd be using a walkbehind on that area.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-03-2008, 11:04 PM
I prefer the If you don't have time to do it right, you must have time to do it over myself but yeah you get the point. Why don't you cut it yourself if you do fert and everything like that?

DaughtryLC
10-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey!!, Its pumkin head!!

old oak lawn
10-04-2008, 12:07 AM
If you take time to do the fert then you might as well mow it to.

lawnstriper23
10-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Pumpkin Head works for the landscaping company that the HOA awarded the contract to so I really have no choice. I use to cut it with my 21" walk behind, but these guys would still cut it anyways (messing up my nice stripes in the process). I still fertilize, weed, etc so my portion of the mound looks a hell of allot better than my neighbors. I noticed that they cut again this past Friday and still are using the ZTR (I can tell by the tires tracks). I have sent the HOA a letter and pictures stating my "complaint", but have not heard anything back from them. I guess that I will just throw my hands up and surrender. I just don't understand laziness as I plainly can see that they have two Exmark walk behinds on the trailer. *trucewhiteflag*

georgiagrass
10-07-2008, 01:14 AM
The pictures may be misleading, but that doesn't look like all that steep an incline. The best way to cut it, of course would be with a Turf Tracer. On the other hand, it looks like it would not be all that difficult to cut a horizontal swath at the bottom, then cut it diagonally. We do lots of small hills like that.

bakerc8
10-09-2008, 05:12 PM
redicules some people are so lazy