PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the handheld shredder vacs for leave pickup?

From Dust 'til Lawn
10-03-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm a one man show...Do they work?? Say the Stihl 86c or whichever...The plan is to blow the leaves in a pile.....suck/shred and dump in boxed out trailer...are they worth it??? Thanks.

lawnwizards
10-03-2008, 02:57 PM
one word. No.

mngrassguy
10-03-2008, 03:07 PM
They do work well for VERY small areas like Townhouse door entrances when the wind is blowing leaves around in circles but not for your regular work.

Scagguy
10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
one word. No.

What he said.

From Dust 'til Lawn
10-03-2008, 03:24 PM
so it'll be better option to blow them on a tarp and trailer them that way?????

billslawn89
10-03-2008, 03:25 PM
They do work well for VERY small areas like Townhouse door entrances when the wind is blowing leaves around in circles but not for your regular work.

i agree with ya! i used it ONLY for that reason. had a 9 unit condo complex and alot easier to just suck the leaves up with the hand held then trying to blow the leaves to the lawn, otherwise, i would blow out the landscape beds into the lawn and use the mower to suck up the leaves, alot faster and easier.

david shumaker
10-03-2008, 09:04 PM
I bought an Echo about a year ago. I've only used it once. It might be useful in some situations, but it's another piece of equipment I wish I hadn't bought.

bob
10-03-2008, 10:52 PM
I had one. The bag fills up real quick . The bag also straps on your shoulders, and all the leaf dust comes out all over your upper body. In other words- NO- don't get one.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-03-2008, 11:13 PM
This is probably what I'll be using some what during the season, what do you guys think of mounting a handheld on the trailer and using it to suck up leaves near the trailer or off of the tarp or something like this and then it would blow them into the trailer. Just an idea?

lawnwizards
10-04-2008, 12:07 AM
This is probably what I'll be using some what during the season, what do you guys think of mounting a handheld on the trailer and using it to suck up leaves near the trailer or off of the tarp or something like this and then it would blow them into the trailer. Just an idea?

its a plastic impeller in those handhelds and one rock or stick and its gonna ruin the machine. just use it to blow the leaves on to a tarp. a whole lot easier.

The Captain
10-04-2008, 02:51 AM
I may be wrong, but I generally consider those handheld things (especially the electric ones) a peice of homeowner......stuff. I know some of our bigger lawn equipment companys make them, but I don't see too many lawn professionals buying them.

02DURAMAX
10-04-2008, 04:39 AM
They suck dont get one!!!

I had one but never used it for that. I would only use it as a blower.

They clog way to much!

jeffex
10-04-2008, 08:04 AM
with your equipment you can learn to "grind" click here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=125671&highlight=leaf+grinding

BillWil
10-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I use one in the fall to pick the debris out of basement escape windows. Some of these are four to five feet deep, they have steps so in the event of a fire people can exit the basement without using the interior stairs.

topsites
10-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I am not sure why they make such silly mickey mouse tools, to be honest.

I use one in the fall to pick the debris out of basement escape windows. Some of these are four to five feet deep, they have steps so in the event of a fire people can exit the basement without using the interior stairs.

Now that might be a good idea, those places are a real PITA to clean up.

Oh yeah, that little bitty baggie on the side of the blower can't hold no real
amount of leaves, it might work all right to clean out a few nooks and crannies thou.

White Gardens
10-04-2008, 01:06 PM
If your going to use anything hand-held style, I would use a Billy goat with the suction hose. You at least have a walk-behind vac and not a crappy hand held.

I agree with blowing out the beds and sucking them up with the mower, quickest and easiest.

BarrFarms
10-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I use mine, and really like it. It works well for suckin up about 6" around landscape beds so the walker will reach in there. An it works well with out the bushel bag.

Paradise Yard Service
10-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I used the Echo Bag/Vac for years in doorways and nooks. It was a dedicated setup. With some finesse (meaning don't w.o.t.) you can use it in cinder beds to suck up small trash/butts. If dust was a problem, I would wet the bag down B-4 using. Not for big pickup jobs...get the Billy-Goat for that. It would jam up now and then.....sticks too big for the impeller. It never broke down.

Aloha

DuallyVette
10-05-2008, 12:12 AM

I think a stool and some tweesers would work better.

I bought one to suck up cigarette butts. Sounded like it would fall apart. I gave it away. $250+ out the window.

Bladerunner Inc
10-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I have been using one for years it definitely is a pain in the a## and the guys hate it but for small jobs and lite hedge clipping it sure leaves the place looking nice. I have been using the echo brand I go Thur one about every 2 years.

Davido
10-09-2008, 10:11 PM
I use one to pick up leaves and debris along the base of cinder-block fences. Here in Vegas we have nothing but cinderblock fences. Still, I'm glad it's a blower, too. It does clog a lot if you try to suck up very much

PHS
10-09-2008, 10:49 PM
They suck for just about everything but like several people mentioned there are a few little places where they work good. I use one mostly for sucking leaves out of annual flowering plants, isolated leaf clean-ups in mulch beds (be careful not to suck up mulch), picking up light hedge trimmings, small townhouse type properties. Probably wouldn't want to buy a new machine for it, use a back up blower first and see if it works for you.

corey4671
10-09-2008, 11:08 PM
I bought the Stihl 85 model a couple years ago. ABout the only real use I get out of it is as a handheld blower. I use it mostly to blow gutters out. Only time I use it as a vac is if I run over some paper with the mower. I don't even find it useful for hedge clippings...Use the mower and Accelerator for that now.

Sammy
10-09-2008, 11:40 PM
I bought one, about 8 years ago, on a Thursday.
Took it back to the dealer for a refund on Friday.

Runner
10-09-2008, 11:46 PM
They work great...Now here's a teaspoon - go move that yard of dirt.

S L C
10-10-2008, 02:24 AM

Freak?? Common sense anywher up there???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::dizzy:

mngrassguy
10-10-2008, 02:54 AM
They work great...Now here's a teaspoon - go move that yard of dirt.

Works better than a shovel if I'm just filling a mason jar:laugh:

mngrassguy
10-10-2008, 02:55 AM
wait, that didn't work. never mind.:laugh:

topsites
10-10-2008, 04:19 AM

No, at least for me that never really worked either.

Blow them in a pile.
Set the tarp aside said pile.
Rake them onto the tarp.
Now trailer it.

Here are my uses for handhelds:
1. Use them from late spring to early fall instead of the backpack, mostly to clear up light lawn debris.
> It really is easier to use the handheld then, it's lighter and more portable and it eats less fuel.
2. Gutters.
3. Put one in my left hand while I got the backpack blower nozzle in my right, this does work.
4. And for the odd scenario, one in each hand also works pretty good for light-medium debris.

But for heavy stuff, no handhelds need apply, vacuum tube or not.