PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical new walkbehind/stander mower - Would you buy something like this?

davidcalhoun
10-03-2008, 01:51 PM
The other day I was mowing (with a walkbehind) over a yard with lots of contour to it. There were areas that even my floating deck did not follow so well (without adding time to the job). This got me to thinking of a new hypothetical deck for a walkbehind or stander mower.

We have all seen or heard of the Lastec mowers with their articulating decks on a larger ZTR format. Lastec has a ZTR model that goes down to a 61" deck. This 61" deck is composed of 3 - 21" decks. This deck setup seems like a nice idea although I have yet to mow with one.

So there I am mowing and thinking that it would be nice if some manufacture had a walkbehind or stander with a articulating deck. It would seem feasible since Lastec has a 61" that they (Lastec) or some other manufacture could come up with a articulating deck comprised of 3 - 19" decks whitch would make it a overall deck size of 54" with a 3" overlap. I am sure that there are other size configurations that might make sense to some others.

Enough rambling on my part. Would you guys try a mower like this?

jtkplc
10-03-2008, 01:56 PM
I proposed the idea of a articulating deck Stander to Lastec in the spring. I think it makes sense.

luckylawnboy
10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Deere makes a mower just as you describe for golf courses.

Wright Mfg
10-03-2008, 02:24 PM
........if some manufacture had a walkbehind or stander with a articulating deck. It would seem feasible.......

There is a big price for that and challenges to make everything last, like the belts or other blade drive method for articulation and weaker deck segments. Lot's of ideas out there that are doable, but it really comes down to "will enough people be willing to pay for it, and often keep paying to maintain the extra fancy feature". Sort of like justifying a 4 wheel steer car/truck.

Anybody know how much the blades overlap each other on a Lastec so that when the blades move apart from each other, it doesn't miss grass?

JV

luckylawnboy
10-03-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.deere.com/media/player/en_us_mediaplayerpopup.html?divisionName=cce/golfturf/7400gis_video/&Video=7400&r=1&height=270

luckylawnboy
10-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Here is the Bigger mower

davidcalhoun
10-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Wright Mfg,

It's kind of funny that you would associate a unique mower like this to a car or truck with 4-wheel steer. I happen to have a GMC 1500HD crew cab with Quadrasteer. I even looked for a whole year to find the right one.

My mind must be wired a certain way.

Richard Martin
10-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Anybody know how much the blades overlap each other on a Lastec so that when the blades move apart from each other, it doesn't miss grass? JV

The required overlap would be dependant on the difference between the maximum and minimum angle difference between the two decks as well as the set back. I imagine the required overlap would be significant especially when turning.

Dixie Chopper's 3/4" overlap just wouldn't cut it (pun intended).

brucec32
10-05-2008, 02:11 AM
I was dreaming of an articulating mower last month when push mowing lawns that the 48" and even 32" decks woudn't mow smoothly. I'd settle for a simple 2x21" unit with a 40" combined width that was compact/light enough for residentials. Some lawns you just can't physically acheive a smooth cut on with a deck over 21" or so. There isn't a flat spot wider than that on the entire lawn.

dishboy
10-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I was dreaming of an articulating mower last month when push mowing lawns that the 48" and even 32" decks woudn't mow smoothly. I'd settle for a simple 2x21" unit with a 40" combined width that was compact/light enough for residentials. Some lawns you just can't physically acheive a smooth cut on with a deck over 21" or so. There isn't a flat spot wider than that on the entire lawn.

IMO a Walker with it's compact overlapping blades, not offset deck and their floating design does the best at following the contour of irregular turf I have seen or used. MY 42" Is better at this than my 36" Exmark TTHP. You might demo a 36" as Walker has a very good demo program in place as policy. A rep will bring you a machine your interested in if the dealer does not have it.

ALC-GregH
10-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that JD mower in the picture posted has "5" small decks on it, not just 3.

I've thought of the same thing as a 61in deck WILL scalp in areas if your not paying attention. Forget a bumpy lawn, I've mowed at a friends farm where years ago, the existing yard was a hay producing field. They cut it back and expanded the yard. I can't find a way to mow it withOUT scalping it everywhere! I'm not even sure a multi deck design would prevent scalping on this yard! It would be the best test bed for R&D on anyone that is going to design one thats for sure. :)

DUSTYCEDAR
10-05-2008, 09:54 AM
I LIKE THE IDEA but as said whats it worth?

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I have a million good ideas for mower manufacturing. But when you look at how many co's are out there making mowers vs. how many people buy them - it's a lost cause. There's never gonna be a big payout, so many of our little tweaks and corrections and modifications never get past the drawing board and cost projections.

Wright Mfg
10-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Wright Mfg,

It's kind of funny that you would associate a unique mower like this to a car or truck with 4-wheel steer. I happen to have a GMC 1500HD crew cab with Quadrasteer. I even looked for a whole year to find the right one.

I think you must be one of the few that doesn't mind paying for the extra "expensive" gadgets and/or you have more of a specialized need, having multiple accounts that have golf course style lawns. I think we mower manufactures build for the majority customers first that are looking to buy a mower that has the best overall value with maybe a few smaller luxuries (like a cup holder on the mower LOL).

Curious, how do you measure the value of your Quadrasteer. Does is make maneuvering your trailer a lot faster?

JV

davidcalhoun
10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
I bought the truck used so my cost was not a factor. As I said before I looked for a Quadrasteer truck for a year because I want that specific feature. If I had bought a new truck, I would not have paid the extra $4999 tag that GM wanted. I would have however paid the new price for this feature at the later price of $1999 if I had order new. Because of poor marketing on their part (and sticking some dealers), GM pull this great feature in 2005.

Yes, the truck is handy for backing trailers up. It is also nice when pulling a trailer down the open road (at speeds over 45, the rear wheels turn with the front wheels). It is also nice when just driving the truck around. I can turn this 154" wheelbase truck around within a 39' area (or about the same as some small cars).

Back to the subject, I realize the cost may outway the sales. I just thought that would be a good place to discuss such a mower.

"build it and they will mow"

White Gardens
10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Anybody thought about how a simplicity deck will actually float on the contours. If you could mount it to a walk behind, you'd be in business.

I love my little simplicity coronet on my home lawn.

delphied
10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Wright Mfg,

I happen to have a GMC 1500HD crew cab with Quadrasteer. I even looked for a whole year to find the right one.

They stopped making the Quadrasteer because not enough people wanted to pay more for it. GM also built an electric car and started to market it in California about 10 years ago. They dropped that because it was a good 10 ten years ahead of its time and nobody wanted it. It was called the EV1. Now the Jap companies get all the news coverage for ushering in electrics. What a joke.

Frontier-Lawn
10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
http://www.deere.com/media/player/en_us_mediaplayerpopup.html?divisionName=cce/golfturf/7400gis_video/&Video=7400&r=1&height=270

Looks Like a lot of stuff on it to break or get stuck on obstacles

Frontier-Lawn
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
They stopped making the Quadrasteer because not enough people wanted to pay more for it. GM also built an electric car and started to market it in California about 10 years ago. They dropped that because it was a good 10 ten years ahead of its time and nobody wanted it. It was called the EV1. Now the Jap companies get all the news coverage for ushering in electrics. What a joke.

ugly if you ask me
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/GM_EV.jpg

i'll take the new chevy volt thou

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2863181069_3288dd59ff.jpg

davidcalhoun
10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Would mulching results be any better with a two or three independent deck setup VS the multi-blade rigid single deck?

dishboy
10-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Would mulching results be any better with a two or three independent deck setup VS the multi-blade rigid single deck?

Not likely, my duel bladed machines mulch better even though same blade and deck design on both machines. But saying that with my mods my single blade deck is excellent as a mulcher

brucec32
10-20-2008, 11:14 PM
IMO a Walker with it's compact overlapping blades, not offset deck and their floating design does the best at following the contour of irregular turf I have seen or used. MY 42" Is better at this than my 36" Exmark TTHP. You might demo a 36" as Walker has a very good demo program in place as policy. A rep will bring you a machine your interested in if the dealer does not have it.

Thanks, I had actually come to that same conclusion after researching here. I like the GHS concept but don't collect enough to ever make it worth the extra dough. A model b or other model sold sans the ghs might do the trick. I agree the non-offset blade setup that keeps the distance between wheels to a minimum is what helps it handle the undulations.

I remember seeing your post about modifying the deck earlier, very vaguely. What exactly did you do to make it mulch better?