PDA

View Full Version : Not acceptable

ccstrebe
10-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Let me preface this post with the following statement:

The following post does not change my high opinion of the 297C.

After reading several posts on this very subject you would think after a year and a half Cat would have fixed this by now. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to fix this but I am going to make Cat fix it and if they can't, then I will.

This is after only less than two hours out at the track last week in its maiden voyage.

The cover that holds the cab filter in place is not even putting pressure on the filter to seal it against the duct, also the hole that the filter goes into is too tall and doesn't line up the filter properly into the duct. I can't believe Cat would release this lousy design on how the cover attaches and holds the filter in place. Easy fix, but I want to see what Cat comes up with. Plus the tracks throw dirt right into the inlet cover, what are they thinking, that these things are not used in dusty conditions?

Also, where the cab closes down on the ducting down by the blower unit as you can see from the picture, there was no seal what so ever.

I am speechless. I had no problem with the oil leak, those things happen on the assembly line, but to not fix what seems to me to be easy fixes on these air inlet issues just leaves me speechless.

Ausman
10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
That particular problem has caused that 297 the have the reputation of being a rolling fire bomb. In mulching applcations they burn real nice.

Also the track throwing dirt is a direct result of boltind someone elses designed tracks to a skid steer loader and not building it from the bottom up.

YellowDogSVC
10-04-2008, 12:08 AM
DEJA VU-- Leaks, dust and oil. Not fixed, sent back with same leaks after 28 days sitting in the shop. One 7 day trip then 21-22 days in the shop the 2nd time. Multiple trips to my jobsites/shop with service truck and nothing was repaired or fixed. The weatherstrip pic is the how the machine actually came back to me after the 2nd 20+ days in the shop. It was used 1 hr. then I opened it up to see what they had done (or didn't do). I am sure Carterkraft is shaking his head.... PM or email me if you want the rest of the story...

DUSTYCEDAR
10-04-2008, 12:16 AM
i called cat for prices on a new skid and i got a clown trying to sell me machines off there rental fleet {i guess i didn't say i have cash} lol
i wanted new not someones problems what a schmuck.

bobcat_ron
10-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Even my machine had it's problem, the rubber weather stripping used wasn't making contact with the frame, I could slide a pencil effortlessly underneath and all around, so I undertook the added weather stripping and sealing that I did and no leaks what so ever.

I have always said, give me a C series frame and I can fix it, I love the challenge of doing things like that, it gives me a chance to really know the machine from all angles.

ccstrebe
10-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Even my machine had it's problem, the rubber weather stripping used wasn't making contact with the frame, I could slide a pencil effortlessly underneath and all around, so I undertook the added weather stripping and sealing that I did and no leaks what so ever.

I have always said, give me a C series frame and I can fix it, I love the challenge of doing things like that, it gives me a chance to really know the machine from all angles.

I agree. In fact, after installing the radio and headphones, I am very impressed with Cats electrical systems design and quality.

YellowDogSVC
10-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Even my machine had it's problem, the rubber weather stripping used wasn't making contact with the frame, .

They all have their problems. I truly believe the make ready guys hurry through the steps and don't really check a machine out. All machines and vehicles I have purchased had issues. A true sign of incompetence, though, is the inability to address what looks like a small problem (leaking fitting or weatherstripping). It amazes me that some technicians, when given a checklist, cannot follow through. I would think that CAT, Bobcat, Deere, Case and the other big manufacturers would hire only capable persons to work on their branded equipment. It also falls to the service managers. While I have had pretty good luck with my Bobcat dealer in that regard, I have heard horror stories from other operators that have taken their machines to their dealer.
Bottom line: Most of us need these machines to make money. We need them to work and when they do not work, they should be fixed both efficiently and quickly so that we can get back on the job.

YellowDogSVC
10-04-2008, 12:23 PM

I can just see the lights dimming and the Barry White music being turned up.. :headphones:

bobcat_ron
10-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I can just see the lights dimming and the Barry White music being turned up.. :headphones:

Yes, so can I, and the story of how the dent in my engine door came to be............well, let's just say that wasn't from being dry humped from yours truly.

Giggity, giggity, giggity.

ccstrebe
10-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I couldn't figure out why I was having trouble getting my attachments to couple up quickly, it took a couple of tries before the pins would fully insert.

This morning I was working on my Cat and noticed this little tit of weld bead that was keeping the Case buckets from hooking up properly. Ten seconds with a grinder and all fixed.

bobcat_ron
10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I hooked up to a Case bucket once, and even it didn't want to go on right.

The machine sure felt weird too, it kept thinking and acting really tough and noisy. I wonder why?

ksss
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I hooked up to a Case bucket once, and even it didn't want to go on right.

The machine sure felt weird too, it kept thinking and acting really tough and noisy. I wonder why?

Its simple really. The CASE bucket is designed to go on a high production, high torque machine. These CASE buckets are Heavy Duty, much heavier than a CAT or Bobcat bucket. Put one of these on a light duty machine and you notice problems like BCron mentions. Usually a CAT wont be able to lift it. You must have had your hyd turned up. I have seen them push the machine over hyd. relief in years past. That explains the noise you mentioned and the poor handling of the machine as it struggles to overcome the weight.:cool2:

Dirt Digger2
10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Its simple really. The CASE bucket is designed to go on a high production, high torque machine. These CASE buckets are Heavy Duty, much heavier than a CAT or Bobcat bucket. Put one of these on a light duty machine and you notice problems like BCron mentions. Usually a CAT wont be able to lift it. You must have had your hyd turned up. I have seen them push the machine over hyd. relief in years past. That explains the noise you mentioned and the poor handling of the machine as it struggles to overcome the weight.:cool2:

yup...i still have yet to see a backhoe bucket on a 580SM sized machine be any bigger then the ones we have on our CASE's

stuvecorp
10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
For what that Cat cost, you should get a man servant thrown in. Sucks that you are getting disappointed with it.

ccstrebe
10-06-2008, 11:20 PM
For what that Cat cost, you should get a man servant thrown in. Sucks that you are getting disappointed with it.

I'm not even close to being disappointed. KSSS wanted to make sure I didn't hold anything back on the Cat.

Like I said ten seconds to fix it, no big deal.

stuvecorp
10-06-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm not even close to being disappointed. KSSS wanted to make sure I didn't hold anything back on the Cat.

At least you are sharing the glitches and not hiding them from us.

ksss
10-06-2008, 11:30 PM

Your honesty is noteworthy, which is why I haven't cracked on your CAT.:clapping:

ccstrebe
10-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Your honesty is noteworthy, which is why I haven't cracked on your CAT.:clapping:

Thanks. :)

stuvecorp
10-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I wish you could have tried an 440 with the VTS, I think you would have stayed in the power tan family.