PDA

View Full Version : LED prices

evergreenedmond
10-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I have been buying my Christmas lights from local wholesalers & figured I would look at some of the online places. I checked both litesource.com and holidaybrightlights.com & was surprised that their prices were higher than what I am paying at my local places. Does anybody know of any quality national distributors? I am currently paying around $10.00 for G12 70 count & low teens for M5 70 count. Is this as good as it gets?

David Gretzmier
10-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Led's are not cheap, and there is a huge difference in quality out there. The "Rectified" sets are the ones I like best, and they are expensive. My customers tend to like the look of incandescent as opposed to LED, and the cost is easier on them too. Hotrod does a ton of LED stuff, he would know best.

hotrod1965
10-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Dave is right, you need to know if your lights are rectified or not. It sounds like your G12 are not and your M5's might be. G12 and M5 should cost the same, they are the same light just a different lens shape.

evergreenedmond
10-04-2008, 08:41 PM
This is our first year pushing the LED's & thise prices are for non rectified. I've already purchased 25 cases each of red, cool white & green. Should I be worried?

David Gretzmier
10-04-2008, 11:12 PM
non rectified sets tend to have a vibration to them, kind of like neon. some folks can see it, some can't. some also claim rectified sets are brighter, but I cannot tell the difference. I've heard rectified sets last longer, but I'm not sure. you can always plug in a sample set to show the customer. good luck- dave g

hotrod1965
10-05-2008, 12:03 AM
If the wind blows them in trees and such you will see the flickering. If you bought higher end half wave sets it is not as bad, you really tell in the whites more than the colors..

the rectified sets actually last half as long. Non-rectified sets use AC and are actually turning on and off really fast (think sin wave). Recified sets convert the AC to DC which takes the flicker out and can make the sets brighter (depends on manufacturer). Because the rectified sets are now on twice as much, they last half as long. So they are rated at 50K hours instead of 100K hours. The wire will still die before 50K hours.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-05-2008, 12:09 AM
HOW many sets can go end to end?

hotrod1965
10-05-2008, 11:53 AM
The new UL guide lines say 1.75 amps end to end. So it depends on what the set is for how many can be hooked end to end. But usually it's around 40 sets for the standard LED sets.

David Gretzmier
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM
egads. 40 sets, at, let's say, 50 feet per set, that would be 2000 feet through 22 guage wire. I cannot imagine electricity traveling that far.

But then, we did a 600 or so feet c-9 job with LED's last year, and used the ceramic coated version retro-fit bulbs, and plugged in every 140 feet or so on a 16 guage cord, all the way to the end of the building. still, was only 8 amps or so, and the voltage was about 108 at the end of 600 feet. Bulbs are kinda dim though, I believe they only have single LEDs. rehung it this year, and replaced 10 bulbs at the install. Less replacement than incandescent at this point, but given the price for bulbs, about 6 times the cost for normal replacement.

hotrod1965
10-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I wish the ceramic coated came in a 5 LED version. I think they have better appeal than the facetted bulbs. Most C9's have a 1 year warranty on them, so you should be able to get credit for the ones that fail.

They say you can run a 500 foot run on C9 LED's. I don't have any that are than long, but the math checks out.

turf hokie
10-10-2008, 07:31 AM
I wish the ceramic coated came in a 5 LED version. I think they have better appeal than the facetted bulbs. Most C9's have a 1 year warranty on them, so you should be able to get credit for the ones that fail.

They say you can run a 500 foot run on C9 LED's. I don't have any that are than long, but the math checks out.

You can get a 5 color ceramic style LED, the colors are red, green, blue, white and yellow.

You should also be able to go 600 c-9 LED in a line and 1200 from one power source without any problem. (I have)

David Gretzmier
10-10-2008, 10:26 PM
I would settle for 3 leds in the ceramic. or a single nichia GS 5mm ( 10 lumens). In a completely dark neighborhood, the bulbs are a bit dim but fine. i wonder why no one has made a true clear c-9 with 5 leds on a stalk? 4 going out and one going up? I have seen similar stalks on glass led car bulbs, so this technology is not new, But I have yet to see it. I saw an old style swirly glass edison base with LEDs in it at a conferance this summer, pricey but doable.