PDA

View Full Version : Florida: When you cutting back to bi-weekly.

bmarotta
10-03-2008, 07:41 PM
The off-season is coming soon. When is everyone cutting their mowing frequency down from weekly to bi-weekly.

Lawn-Sharks
10-03-2008, 08:52 PM
The off-season is coming soon. When is everyone cutting their mowing frequency down from weekly to bi-weekly.

Nov 1. but if it's get cooler in October and the grass slows down i will start the Bi-weekly cutting sooned.

Sym
10-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Nov.1 here too.... I have already started to skip a few or just the back yards because they are bahia and just aren't growin. ...... can't wait for bi-weekly....coastin til April 1:clapping:

Lawn-Sharks
10-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Nov.1 here too.... I have already started to skip a few or just the back yards because they are bahia and just aren't growin. ...... can't wait for bi-weekly....coastin til April 1:clapping:

Ya! I skipped a few today also, because they were not growing..

traman
10-03-2008, 09:19 PM
i skip 5 this week and most likely skip 10 or 12 next week. hard to believe how slow its growing. Nov everybody goes biweekly but i always work the first week of Nov so i can have Thanksgiving week off.

billslawn89
10-03-2008, 10:58 PM
there was two that i skipped this week here. we had a good steady rain on tuesday, so everything perked back up, but nov 1 will be my switch to bi-weekly also. i do have a few i still do weekly due to irrigation. could use the break!

djchiodo3
10-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I mow every week October. Then the first three weeks of November. Take week of Thanksgiving off. Mow first and third week of December and come back the first Monday of January. This has been my schedule for many years. Clients are used to it. During the weeks I'm not mowing I spend the days doing trees and mulch.

freshprince94
10-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm not on bi-weekly yet, but I feel it coming. Probably around November 1st as well. I skipped a yard last week, but my others are still growing in.

amor4421
10-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I also start on nov. 1st. I skipped 4 or 5 this week. I can't wait until it slows down a little

dura to the max
10-04-2008, 12:59 AM
im a little north of yall, and i too am starting to skip lawns and go to biweekly.

supercuts
10-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Wow, am i the only one who knows that bi-weekly means twice a week?? Like bi-annually is twice a year..... Right, perhaps saying "cutting back to every other week"

Sym
10-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Wow, are you the only one who is wrong?:hammerhead:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/biweekly

Lawn-Sharks
10-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Why do people have to get technical over something so small that everyone else seems to understand what it means, without trying to look smarter then the next person by pointing it out???? even when they don't know that the definition of the word can have more then one meaning.
We understand what it mean and it is a acceptable term for mowing every other week. Thank you for the def! SYM maybe this will shine some light on the subject

1bi·week·ly
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)bī-ˈwē-klē\
Function: adjective
Date: 1832
1 : occurring twice a week
2 : occurring every two weeks : fortnightly
usage see bi-
— biweekly adverb

Florida Gardener
10-04-2008, 01:30 PM
i sent my winter letter out in sept saying i would switch in october, but i still have a couple that need it every week. i have a couple that can also go every other week. in nov though, everyone will be 2 times a month.

djchiodo3
10-04-2008, 02:07 PM
I follow the same schedule every year. I have done this for over 20 years. I mow every 7 days March through October. Three times in November, Twice in Dec., Jan., and Feb. All lawns are on contract. My motto has always been when in doubt, mow. On the off days make $$ trimming trees and mulching.

Lehighlawnpros
10-04-2008, 05:34 PM
We generally transition to every other week beginning in
mid-October and lasting until mid-May.

We can be a little flexible in the timing as conditions warrant.

We may briefly extend to a 21 day interval in the event
of drought/freeze conditions.

We shoot for an average of 36 mowings per year which is what our monthly pricing is based on.

We also send out a letter just before we go into the fall/winter season to ensure that everyone is on the same page regarding the transition and also to stress the importance of proper irrigation.

Bob
Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros
10-04-2008, 06:28 PM
As I thought it might be of interest, here is a copy of the letter we sent out:

Dear Customer,
As we are about to complete our 15th year in business,
we want to say thanks to our customers who make it possible
for us to be successful doing work that we enjoy!

We plan to switch to what we call our “fall and winter schedule” soon.

It generally begins with a fourteen day mowing interval starting in mid-October.

There may also be periods of drought and/or freezes when we will briefly extend
to a twenty-one day interval as conditions warrant.

This allows us to mow at a consistent seven day interval during the mid-May
through mid-October growing season when the lawns need weekly service.

The overall goal is to maintain the lawns nicely and to provide approximately
thirty-six mowings per year, which is what our current pricing is based on.

New for this year, we plan to schedule in such a way that your normal
“mowing day” stays the same year round. For example, if we normally mow at
your property on Tuesdays in the spring/summer we will strive to keep it on
Tuesdays throughout the fall/winter as well, albeit every other week. Obviously
weather can sometimes interfere, but overall we should be able to maintain your
mowing day with great consistency :-)

Also enhancing our reliability, we now have a “fleet” of three Grasshopper
commercial-grade mowers, two good trucks, and back-ups for all of our
hand-held equipment.

P.S. Watering restrictions have changed to the following;

even-numbered addresses Thursdays and Sundays
odd-numbered addresses Wednesdays and Saturdays

The best time is between 4AM and 8AM, at properties where I have access to
the timer I’ve been setting them to reflect the changes, if you have questions
and/or need help setting your timer please let me know. It’s very important to
keep the lawns irrigated during the fall/winter to help avoid drought damage.

Thanks so much,
Bob and Margaret
Lehighlawnpros

djchiodo3
10-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Nice letter. However south Florida is a whole lot different then up north. On average you are going to mow at least 40 times. Also, all of my accounts are in the same gated neighborhood. If I mow one I have to mow them all. If I skip one I have to skip them all. I can't pick and choose. There will be times when I mow a yard that could have been skipped. We just mow and blow making noise for the customers sake. Then there is the other lawn company next to one of yours who mows. If you skip, the client calls and complains.

SpEnt
10-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, i am in central fl and i have those few customer that complains for every little thing so we usually just go and make a few sweeps then blow....

TF PLUS
10-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Hopefully on the Island by mid-December

CHUCK'SLAWN
10-05-2008, 07:20 PM
November we go two cuts per month. Thank GOD. It was a long hot summer

bscofield07
10-08-2008, 12:35 AM
when hurricane season is over.....

djchiodo3
10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Usually November, however, as long as the lawn service next door is mowing, so am I.

Florida Gardener
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
i have 3 customers right now that dont water their yards at all and i could have honestly started every other week on them since early september. Im going to cut the ones this month that actually need every week and the others that virtually have no growth will be every other week. then in nov, everyone will be every other week