PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo, NY area

Going Commercial
10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
What are rates for commercial mowing and do you charge extra for edging sidewalks/driveways. What is the best way to put the handling of leaves in a commercial contract so you don't loose your but. I am looking at a large business and they want fall leaves picked-up weekly from their beds and picnic areas, then a final cleanup after the last mow. You just can't tell how the leaves are going to drop. How much time I should allow per week and how do I charge? Thanks

billslawn89
10-03-2008, 11:06 PM
good luck to ya!:drinkup:

NMS0219
10-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I include edging in the weekly price, as far as leaves go use your best judgment. With out seeing the property its impossible to tell you. Sounds like your new to the whole commercial mowing biz.

Going Commercial
10-04-2008, 02:45 PM
You are correct NMS0219 I am just getting into commercial market. My exp. has been with residential for lawn care. I do more drain tile and finish grading now. Most residentials did not want to pay extra for edging and most guys out there are not doing it unless customer pays. I am talking about stick blade and wb edging specificly not using a string trimmer upside down that is. Thanks for the input.

Phil G
10-04-2008, 05:47 PM
What is the best way to put the handling of leaves in a commercial contract so you don't loose your but. I am looking at a large business and they want fall leaves picked-up weekly from their beds and picnic areas, then a final cleanup after the last mow. You just can't tell how the leaves are going to drop. How much time I should allow per week and how do I charge? Thanks

Not too easy to answer. Some years ago I did an office site that had dozens and dozens of trees and a lake. We used to take away about 6 cub yards of leaves a week. A right PIA it was. The only good thing was that due to its location the wind would blow the leaves into one main corner. But, week after week of picking up dry, damp or wet leaves became a real 'piss you off' job. Then suddenly they were all gone and the pain of collecting them soon past; until the next year:dizzy:
Walk the site and try and figure the time involved. What type of trees they are and how long they hold onto their leaves. Always found the Oaks were the worst for not letting go.
What ever time you figure, double it and add the cost of dumping the load.

Good luck, Phil

=

NMS0219
10-04-2008, 09:02 PM
We blade edge every week, its included in the price. I cant stand it when i see guys do the string trimmer " edge " Looks like hell imo. I do have to agree with whats above double your time and you might break even.

Going Commercial
10-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I am trying to handle the leaves at an hourly rate. I think this account will accept it this way, at least I hope so. They want continuous clean-up. What is your input on edging beds? They have about 2000 ft. Charge by foot or other method?

NMS0219
10-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Do it hourly, Lot less of a pita. so i got to ask what type of commercial property is this? Apartment complex, mixed use, industrial, Office space what?

Going Commercial
10-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Industrial property. Any input on the bed edging?

NMS0219
10-04-2008, 10:14 PM
good bed edger and bill it hourly

Going Commercial
10-04-2008, 10:21 PM
How long do you think it will take? I never used a bed edger always did it by hand/shovel. What is a good one to rent or buy? I heard they are over $2000.

NMS0219
10-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Mine was $2200 at lesco, to rent they are like $100 a day, How long its going to take is hard to say. Lots of variables.

Going Commercial
10-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Are they user friendly? I don't know what to estimate for time? Never had a job this big to edge, but I have to put in something and don't want to loose my but.

NMS0219
10-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Very easy to use