PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing pine trees now. Yes or no?

G.M.Landscaping
10-03-2008, 07:45 PM
A customer wants his 50-60' tall pines fertilized . Should this be done now or wait until spring? I heard somewhere you don't want to promote growth going into fall. Not sure what plants that applies to.

crab
10-03-2008, 09:36 PM
april..................

Smallaxe
10-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Fertilizing trees... for what? Old trees that are that large, need some rapid water shoot growth spurts?

If he wants to help his trees - tell him a good deep soaking during the dry times and b4 winter is what they need.

Fertilizing trees is a suckers' game. If he insists charge him double your normal charge.

I have always been curious - do you calculate the lbs. of N per board foot of a tree? Or is it more arbitrary than that? :laugh:

PSUturf
10-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Small Axe is right. If the foliage has good color and puts out adequate new growth each year don't fertilize. Studies have shown that fertilizing healthy trees and shrubs can make them more susceptible to disease and insect attack.

Isobel
10-08-2008, 10:49 AM
No. Fertilize in the spring.

but why are you wanting to put fert on a tree that size, you'll just be wasting money.

G.M.Landscaping
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I started this thread because I didn't have an answer for what the customer wanted. Now I know. He was worried about them, since one was dying out and this last big wind storm, it fell on the neighbors house. There's about ten of these left.

Thanks for the replys.

Marcos
10-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I started this thread because I didn't have an answer for what the customer wanted. Now I know. He was worried about them, since one was dying out and this last big wind storm, it fell on the neighbors house. There's about ten of these left.

Thanks for the replys.

Hate to break it to you, chief...but merely feeding pine trees isn't going to make them any more or less resistant to WIND!

There's an instant in time when every tree is doomed to die, for whatever reason of cause.

Your customer is dutifully, innocently, yet naively trying to 'buy time' through your hose and your soil injector.

....quite a comedy of errors, on both your parts, if it is followed through with!

Smallaxe is right.

Doing services such as drip line soaking during dry spells is something MUCH more reputable!

...or even pH checks around them....with organic pH amendments if the tests dictate!

Wind, huh? :cry:
I hear what you're sayin'!....Ike hurt us too!
Why not consider offering a preventive, yet a (relatively) 'non-invasive' tree CABLING service?