PDA

View Full Version : Finished first install with the ABT zone control

Lite4
10-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Just finished a system with the ABT zone control system. It is pretty cool. You can break up individual zones you want to control seperately or have one shut off or come on at different times or at your command on the keyfob. This is a completely wireless system, so there is no internal wiring at the panel or in the house that needs to be done. Range of approximately 500'. They are producing a sequencer for these units. That will make linking multiple receivers on a job a snap.

The Lighting Geek
10-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Aaaaaah! A new geek toy!

Venturewest
10-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Nice! I was researching the ABT last week. Glad to know someone that has personally installed one now.

Lite4
10-04-2008, 01:04 PM
They are fantastic. It is beyond the UPB controls, you can now break up individual zones on a single transformer and control them seperately if you like. That patio with the cover that is out of visual sight from the house doesn't need to be lit all the time now. The homeowner can just hit the switch with the fob and turn it off and on as he needs it. The current one I did has two Unique transformers and two receivers. I set it up so that everything comes on at dusk. At 1 am everything shuts off except for a discreet security zone around his house to eliminate hiding places around the potential points of entry. Pretty cool. I would have had to have multiple transformers in the past to accomplish this.

TXNSLighting
10-04-2008, 09:18 PM
They are fantastic. It is beyond the UPB controls, you can now break up individual zones on a single transformer and control them seperately if you like. That patio with the cover that is out of visual sight from the house doesn't need to be lit all the time now. The homeowner can just hit the switch with the fob and turn it off and on as he needs it. The current one I did has two Unique transformers and two receivers. I set it up so that everything comes on at dusk. At 1 am everything shuts off except for a discreet security zone around his house to eliminate hiding places around the potential points of entry. Pretty cool. I would have had to have multiple transformers in the past to accomplish this.

Where can i get a pic of this? This would be perfect on a job i just did.

Chris J
10-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I saw a presentation a couple of months ago for the ABT controlls. Nice stuff, but I was a bit turned off when I learned the unit will only control three 300w zones before you have to purchase additional transmitters. It would be ideal if you could control more zones with the same control unit; maybe they are working on that.

Lite4
10-05-2008, 03:24 AM
From talking to them, they are working on many upgrades which should be available by the first of the year.

coxlandscaping
10-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey Tim, Does it work in conjunction with your Digital timer also. I have a customer who wants an area lighted near the back of the house. But they don't necessarily want it on with the rest of the lights this may be what I’m looking for. As they could turn it on when they wanted to with out me having to put it on a switch

Lite4
10-05-2008, 11:37 AM
You won't need your timer. You can set the all on or individual zones on and off times without an external timer. It has an internal clock already. I understand they are producing and asrological clock module for it as well though so you won't have to fool with changing times. Mine are currently activated by photocell. To further answer your question they make a wall fob that just has a sticky back you can put by a door or whatever and they can just switch that area on as they need it. No wiring necessary.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Tim, the current timer/clock:

1: Digital I assume but not astronomic?
2: What type of battery is installed in the timer for back up purposes? NiCad, NiMh or LiIon?
3: What cold weather rating does the timer/clock come with?
4: Have you tested the "real world" range of the transmitter (through walls etc) and if so what distance is it effective to?

Thanks and have a great day.

Lite4
10-06-2008, 12:13 AM
James,
The clock is internal. The wireless programmer you use allows you to set up all the "station" or zone times, not unlike a sprinkler controller. Once you have all the data set the way you want it, you simply wave the programmer over the receiver and it transmits the data to the receiver. The unit has an internal backup battery (not sure what type). It will function for 10 years without replacement in a power off mode. Not sure about the cold weather rating, you would have to ask the folks at ABT. As far as reliability goes, the transmitting technology is the same as that used for the medical alert fobs elderly people use. You know the old "I've fallen and I cant get up" scenario. From what they told me they could only have no more than 3 non transmits per 10,000 activations. We had no trouble anywhere in the house with it at all.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks Tim, I will look into this more with ABT directly.

I work on very large lots here, anywhere from 3 acres up to 15 acres typically... hence my question about effective range of the transmitter.

With the unit mounted outdoors, low temperature operation and battery type become a big issue in the Winter when temperatures typically drop to -35 degrees Celcius. It is amazing how many "outdoor rated" products are only effective to 0 or in some cases even +10 C.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
10-06-2008, 10:38 AM
The remote is good from 150ft if I remember correctly. Its a cool device that needs just a few improvements.

Dreams To Designs
10-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Tim, did you get all the information and product directly from ABT or do they have local representatives and dealers? This option seems ideal for true lighting design and it sounds like it eliminates many of the problems of the other control systems.

Kirk

JoeyD
10-06-2008, 10:43 AM
you can contact ABT Wireless Directly. I work with Greg. They are only a few miles from us in Carlsbad, CA.

Lite4
10-06-2008, 11:00 AM
I got mine from a local distributor that just got set up with them. Joey, the manual for the ABT says it has an effective transmission range of 500'.

JoeyD
10-06-2008, 11:44 AM
does that equate to 150 yards? But you are right. I just verified that as well in the manual. I could have sworn Greg said 150 something!! LOL

JoeyD
10-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Here is ABT's current Distributors

Aspen Valley Landscaping
Atlantic Irrigation
Atlantic View Lighting
Bisco
Central Irrigation
John Deere
Landmark Lighting
Landscape Solutions
Larchmont