PDA

View Full Version : Fungus?

zelenak
10-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I just noticed what appears to be a fungus on the lawn. It is very localized to an area of less than 100 sf. It does not cover the whole area but runs in a couple of "stripes" about 12" wide.

The pictures show it on the grass and I also found what appears to be the same thing around the base of a choke-cherry tree. The tree appears to be healthy but there are some spots (white) on it and I see some stress fractures in the bark.

The area of lawn which is affected has 1) never manifest this before, 2) is similar in soil type, grass type and exposure to sun etc as a large area around it and 3) otherwise appears healthy (not much thatch, green). I haven't used any fertilizers or herbicides and usually keep it cut at 3".

I'm wondering what it is, why its here, and what to do about it. Could it have come from the tree? My only other thought is that there is a pile of weed from the flowerbed just up the hill which have been sitting there for 6 weeks and are decomposing. Could something have leached out of the pile?

Any suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

JDUtah
10-04-2008, 05:33 PM
looks like slime mold to me...

http://www.lesco.com/default.aspx?PageID=53&GroupID=5&GroupName=Disease+Reference

Spores could have been deposited by whatever means and found appropriate food/moisture/temp to germinate and grow. Usually no problem to your plants. It is not really damaging/parasitic other than blocking the sun from the leaves...

Read about it on the link I posted (page two)... they suggest control practices...

cudaclan
10-04-2008, 10:58 PM
powdery mildew

zelenak
10-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks. I checked out the link and I agree that its slime mold. Glad its not a problem. Do you think I should hose it off and let the run off wash down the hill or will this just spread it around? What about cutting it?

JDUtah
10-08-2008, 11:31 AM
You can spray. It might spread spores yes, but making sure the grass dries out shortly after irrigating (water in the morning, deep and infrequent, only every 2-3 days +) should keep them from sprouting. If you are really concerned you can take a rag and wipe it before your spray and try to pick up some of the spores with that.

Bill has a natural chitosan product that is supposed to hydrolyze(melt) fungi. I have some but haven't tested it yet. You might contact him and see if spraying it with that has any effect. He usually doesn't sell to homeowners (I'm guessing you are?) but talk to him. Just search ICT Bill... or click here (http://www.lawnsite.com/member.php?u=63434).