PDA

View Full Version : customer letter

mdb landscaping
02-07-2002, 09:18 AM
I have two customers who just dont want to seem to pay. its been two months, and ive sent out notices, called them etc.. one lady thinks i charged too much, even though i told her what it would be exactly. they both claim they put the check in the mail the other day, but i am going to get rid of them, because they always pay late and are not good customers. does anybody have a letter you could send me, or i could look at telling them i will drop them? should i send a letter or should i just call? im waiting till i get my money first, thats for sure. this is the first time ive ever had to get rid of a customer for this reason. any ideas?

Scraper
02-07-2002, 09:23 AM
Don't have a letter, but if you're bailing on the money as well, just don't show up in the spring.

If you want to send a letter, just state that your business is changing directions and that you can no longer service their property. Maybe throw in a referral to some local guy you don't like. ;)

You don't have a contract with these people do you? If not, them just tell them what I said above.

crew
02-07-2002, 11:16 AM
If you have a contract, presumably you have a late fee clause. If not, you should. If you dont, there are plenty of collection companies that WILL get your money and take either a percentage or a set fee.

It is a great liberating feeling to be free of a customer who is a pain in the .......good luck.

Ty Stahl
02-07-2002, 12:07 PM
I've had a couple of customers like what you're desribing. One of them was always late, insisted that the check had been mailed on time, etc. I refused to do any more work until I received a check in the mail by a specific date. Needless to say, I didn't receive a check, and they didn't have any lawn service for the rest of the season. The other one wanted work above and beyond the contract. When a bill was presented, I was basically called a liar. Never received the money for that one, either. My point is, drop clients like that like a bad habit. If they don't want to pay, get them off of your route. It's not worth the headache trying to get your money out of them.

Ty

cajuncutter
02-07-2002, 12:14 PM
I have recieved those famous "sent the check 2 weeks ago" stories. So I caught on. I said ok no problem. When you get your returned check I would like to have a copy of the back. I tell them I need a copy of the endorsment so I can file a fraud report. I explain to the customer that I never got it and never signed it and that if there is someone intercepting my mail and signing my checks that I need to press charges. This usually gets them stired up. I got a call from one lady 2 days after explaining this to her " I made a mistake, I thought I sent the check to you and I just found the bill. You can come by and pick your check up if you like." So far it has worked out. You may or may not want to try this tactic.:D:blob2:

LAWNS AND MOWER
02-07-2002, 12:25 PM
You might want to add onto the letter something like " if payment is not received by so and so date, I'm left with no choice but to refer this matter to a collection agency" This normally gets the check in the mail.

LAWNS AND MOWER

JimLewis
02-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Here's the two letters we use in this situtation. Although it rarely happens any more becaust most of my clients are on AutoPay from the start. I should note that sometimes I don't even use these letters and just send one that basically says, "We're terminating our service effective immediately." I use that one only in very rare circumstances where I don't want anything to do with that person.

Here is the first file...

JimLewis
02-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Here's the second file....

JimLewis
02-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Also check out this related thread I started on collecting $$$
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=220839#post220839

Fantasy Lawns
02-07-2002, 01:07 PM
This is our first one we send if 1 month behind

Our records show that we have not received payment for last month’s services. Payments should be received in our office by the 20th of the month. The enclosed Billing invoice reflects this monthly billing, the previous invoice # __________ for $ _________ has not been received. Please send a total of $ ________ to bring your account up to date.

If you have recently sent payment, please disregard this notice, otherwise please send payment as soon as possible, we hope to receive such payment before your next schedule service date.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us personally at the office, so we might correct this issue, if we are not in leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.

thelawnguy
02-07-2002, 01:18 PM
You need to knock on a couple doors around dinnertime and lay it out..."I'm here to pick up a check" if you want to be a nice guy call em from outside the door and tell em you'll be there in a minute.

Then when you return home drop the "kiss-off" letter in the mail...

mdb landscaping
02-07-2002, 04:02 PM
thanks for all your replies. those are great letters, and i may even take lawnguys advice and pay them a visit. maybe i should just dump two loads of leaves in their driveway, since thats what i took out this fall:D .

snow
02-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Call this guy, your problems are solved.

Turfdude
02-07-2002, 04:18 PM
Saw a show last fall of a guy who does custom chroming and such for Harleys. Got tired of chasing people for $. Got a tattoo that says "Pay up Sucker $$$" on his palm.
You may want to give this a try (especially if you're a large man - ahh yes, the intimidation factor)
Bob

eslawns
02-08-2002, 01:52 AM
I just got fired by a client like this. She hadn't paid a bill in the month it was due in over a year. I send out bills on the 1st, if they aren't paid by the 15th, I call. Some are chronic late payers, but they do pay, so I leave them alone. This lady had an over 60 and hadn't returned my calls. She claimed to have had a death in the family.

OK, so when the check comes, and this happens again, I stop the service until the bill is paid. This happened 3 more times this past year and she gets mad because I did her lawn when it was convenient for me, not when she wanted it cut. and I didn't do cleanups to her standards, and put other clients ahead of her. I don't like to be fired, but sometimes it's for the best. She did call to get a balance on her account, and with the letter came a check. I guess I should have put prompt paying clients ahead of her. Sure thing, I'll get right on that! :rolleyes:

This was a bad year for cash people letting 2 cuts go by and then not having the money to pay. 3 or 4 I can think of like that.