PDA

View Full Version : New Company Name?

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
10-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey Guys,

I've been lurking on this site for about a year now and have really developed a passion for outdoor lighting. I've taken a stab at Janet Moyers book and have read several others. Designed a system at my grandfathers house, (pics to come soon).

So, I really respect your guys opinion and gave me good advice last time I told you a company name. What do you guys think??

Elegant Outdoor Lighting

Hope to be posting more pics of jobs to come soon!!

Chris J
10-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Funny thing. That same name actually crossed my mind a few times when thinking about my own company name. I like it.

David Gretzmier
10-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Sounds good. try to think of your business name as your brand- like Kelloggs to cereal and dewalt to tools. Think of the font you will use and the color of that font. perhaps a logo to go with that name. visualize the side of your trucks, the business cards, postcards, your bid form package and your uniforms. All of it should work together to create a brand in folks heads. over the next 5-10 years you burn it into memory wherever you work. when folks think of Outdoor lighting then, they need to immediatedly think of you. good luck !

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
10-05-2008, 01:50 AM
appreciate the responses

Chris: Positive feedback from you? Thats hard to get- Thank You

David: That's really good advice. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks

anyone else want to weigh in on the name

or on branding in general?

Chris J
10-05-2008, 07:24 AM
appreciate the responses

Chris: Positive feedback from you? Thats hard to get- Thank You

I don't try to be negative. I simply tell it like it is and I don't get into saying things just for the sake of being "positive". If you had come up with a goofy name I would have told you so if that were my opinion. Some folks will tell people what they want to hear; I'll tell you what you need to hear. If some don't like me for that honesty, then I guess they just don't have to like me.
Good luck with your new name.

The Lighting Geek
10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
It says what you do in your name. That is very important in branding. I had many people who though I was nuts to use the name I chose, but it fits me and my personality. You need to follow what David said, it was very good advice. To take it a bit further, remember that EVERYTHING you do is branding. Whether it is positive branding depends on what customers see. As an example, a consistently unorganized and dirty truck(s) speaks volumes in the wrong direction. OK I'm not stuck on trucks, it is just an easy example. And I'm not saying a dirty truck is bad, I'm talking about a truck that hasn't seen a wash in while. I just saw a guy show up to bid the painting for a house and he was wearing a terribly wrinkled shirt and his truck was very disheveled. Before he made to us, the customer said he wasn't using a guy who showed up like that. Trust me, I have opened the door of my truck only to have a empty soda cup fall out many times. I think you get the idea.

Look up eleagant up in the dictionary and use the definition to your advantage. I did with Geek. I post a sign at every show that says, 'Lighting Geek: n. a single minded or accomplished landscape lighting professional, felt to be socially inept.' :laugh:

NightScenes
10-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Sounds good to me, good luck with your business!!

EOL
10-27-2008, 06:41 PM
I almost took that name also. It came down to Elegant Outdoor Lighting or Exclusive Outdoor Lighting. Exclusive Outdoor Lighting was my final pick and I am very satified with my desission. Good luck with your business.