PDA

View Full Version : What seed for fescue overseed job?

nick21
10-05-2008, 09:06 AM
I have about an acre of tall fescue that I want to help along. The lawn is nice but I want it to be nicer. Is is worth it to spend the money on Pennington Smart seed? Or should I only spring for this when I am seeding a new area? Any other ideas?

nick21
10-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Anyone? It looks like for one acre I need 9 bags...$450? Will I see a huge improvement?

shadowrlc
10-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Since noones chiming in, I'll try to help you out. I've never used Pennington seed but if you already have a good stand of fescue you shouldn't have to put more than 4 or 5 lbs/1000 which would put you at 175-225 lbs for an acre. That cost seems a little high to me. I payed about $1.15 a lb for Transitional Blend from Lesco which is about $58 a bag (50lbs). Maybe someone else can help out with Pennington seed but again that seems a little expensive.

Barefoot James
10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
I would for sure recommend it. I have seen WOW results. I plan on doing over 750,000 sq ft of seeding next fall with it. I'm very impressed with the results of what I have seen and will be doing some late season side by side testing over the next few weeks.

nick21
10-06-2008, 11:22 PM
If I can get by with only 4 or 5 lbs per acre I might spring for it. Is good seed just as important for an oversees job?

csmlawn
10-08-2008, 12:05 PM
It's great seed, but damn is it expensive. My local Southern States here in Annapolis, MD sells it for $55 for a 25 lbs bag. I mostly use Rebel Supreme for overseeding and get a few 50 lbs bags for $85 a bag. I may mix in some smart seed in a few of my trouble spots and see how it does.

Scott

Barefoot James
10-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Is that a typo? Try 300 to 350 lbs per acre - even pasture seeding requires 25 to 30 lbs per acre - turf seeding is 6 to 10 pounds per 1000 sq ft - 43,500 sq ft in an acre = 261 pounds @ 6 and 435 pounds @ 10.:rolleyes:

shadowrlc
10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
No typo! I'm talking about over-seeding rates. 4-6 lbs using a TTTF blend is usually recommended for over-seeding existing turf. A few sites actually have as low as 2-3 lbs for overseeding which would seem a little low. I have seen problems over-seeding at higher rates with fescue choking itself out! Just my 2 cents for what its worth! :usflag:

Barefoot James
10-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Not per acre - thats 43,500 sq ft 4 to 6 pounds of seed on an acre will not do squat. I buy over $10,000 worth of seed per year and TRUST me you have 1000 sq ft and acres mixed up.

shadowrlc
10-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Check my original post -- 4-6 lbs/1000 or 175-225 lbs per acre. :confused: The OP may be the one confused

Barefoot James
10-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Wrong person - read nick21's response this is who the orginal comment was meant for.

shadowrlc
10-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I figured that out a bit to late - - all is good and let's hope Nick21 reads before he goes to putting out seed! Be hard to make 5 lbs cover an acre! :dancing:

nick21
10-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I did mean 4lbs per 1000 square feet not per acre. I did have a brain fart in that I thought my big bag of seed was 50 pounds not 20. Yup it sure was easy to carry it around now that I think about it. But my original math looks to be right. It still seems like 450 for is quite a bit to spend to overseed a healthy one acre yard based on the bags recomendation 4lbs per 1000 sq ft (about 9 $50 bags).

nick21
10-08-2008, 10:02 PM
And by the way thanks for the help guys.
If I do overseed I am going to use something cheaper. I am going to try the pennington for some spot repairs because $52 for a 20lbs is pretty pricey. I have been holding off on a spreader for my tractor...I don't want to throw $450 on my already nice yard if I have to push it!

shadowrlc
10-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I noticed the Pennington seed is a little more than $2/lb. That is a little expensive but I guess it depends on how well it works. I've always had good luck with with Lesco Transition Blend and another that Lesco doesn't carry called Defiance. Those run about $58 for a 50 lb bag which is about half the price for Pennington.

Barefoot James
10-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Do some side by side comparisions and you will find like I did that they should have named this seed WOW.

cod8825
10-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Look I have run Lesco Transition Blend, Helena Tri-Power Blue, and a myriad of others. I have found that it all depends on preperation. Mowing -- Dethaching -- areating -- fertilizing -- slit seeding -- last and most importantly watering. I have done hundreads of properties and I can tell you that the best overseeds I have had are done with proper prep work. Just went by and inspected a two acre job I did back on September the 10th holy crap did it look good. I spent the better part of a day out there doing all of it. All of my properties get done in this order by me. I do not the home owner mow it or do anything. I also do irrigation only properties for this reason. This is why I charge $40 per K to do a job yes that is correct I charged $3500 for this single property I hope one day that I will have enough high end equipment to do this full time in spring and fall and that would be it.

LarryF
09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
I was curious about the mix of the Transition seed that has been mentioned a few times in this thread, so I checked the Lesco web site. Apparently, it only comes in 10 and 25# bags and the mix isn't specified on the Lesco site. But there is also a Trigold Transition Blend that comes in 50# bags and it's a mix of about 33 percent each of Biltmore, Padre and Magellan tall fescues. Is that what is being referred to a "Transition"?

LarryF
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I was curious about the mix of the Transition seed that has been mentioned a few times in this thread, so I checked the Lesco web site. Apparently, it only comes in 10 and 25# bags and the mix isn't specified on the Lesco site. But there is also a Trigold Transition Blend that comes in 50# bags and it's a mix of about 33 percent each of Biltmore, Padre and Magellan tall fescues. Is that what is being referred to as "Transition"?

By looking once more, I found still another Lesco "Transition" seed. This one is called All Pro Transition Seed Blend (Item 007330), and it also comes in 50# bags with a mix of about 33 percent each of Magellan, Biltmore and Reunion (rather than Padre) tall fescues. So maybe that's what is being referred to here as the Lesco "Transition" seed. BTW, the item number for the Trigold is 056625. But to confuse us even more, when the "Product Label" icon for 056625 is clicked, the name or the product then becomes "Tall Fescue Select Seed Blend".

So that leads me to wonder if Lesco product descriptions have always been so screwed up, or did that just come about after John Deere took over.

LarryF
10-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Look I have run Lesco Transition Blend, Helena Tri-Power Blue, and a myriad of others. I have found that it all depends on preperation. Mowing -- Dethaching -- areating -- fertilizing -- slit seeding -- last and most importantly watering. I have done hundreads of properties and I can tell you that the best overseeds I have had are done with proper prep work. Just went by and inspected a two acre job I did back on September the 10th holy crap did it look good. I spent the better part of a day out there doing all of it. All of my properties get done in this order by me. I do not the home owner mow it or do anything. I also do irrigation only properties for this reason. This is why I charge $40 per K to do a job yes that is correct I charged $3500 for this single property I hope one day that I will have enough high end equipment to do this full time in spring and fall and that would be it.

cod8825,

If you would oblige me, I really would like to know which Lesco transition seed you prefer, the 056625 or the 007330. I had been using Lesco's Team Mates Plus (019586) which is about 70 percent TTF, 20 percent rye and 10 percent KBG, but I'm thinking of switching since I don't really see much advantage to the rye or the small amount of blue grass.