PDA

View Full Version : Critters in the transformers and well lights

DanaMac
10-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Over in the irrigation forum, we've talked about what we find in the valve boxes. I'm sure most of you have found certain animals and bugs as well. At my home I have my transformer lying on the ground because I have been a slacker. I have found a small garter snake in it a few times when I go to adjust the times. Yesterday as well. But have never found anything when replacing lamps for the well lights which surprises me.

What have you guys found?

Malibu landscape
10-05-2008, 09:14 AM
black widow spiders
ants
frogs
mice
snails
earwigs

DanaMac
10-05-2008, 09:59 AM
mice

I've had mice, voles, moles, ground hogs/prairie dogs chew through irrigation wires. Does it happen often with lighting? I haven't found it on any jobs that I've done. But I also haven't installed one in a few years.

Lite4
10-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I havn't had any critters chew through any lighting wires...YET!! I have had ground squirrels chew through some 2 strand decoder wire in a subdivision in the past. I only find the usual spider and a large nest of egg sacks in my well lights. Nothing big. I did once have a garder snake get coiled around an aquascape pump once. Only thing I can figuire is the homeowner had it turned off overnight and the snake snuck into one of the outlet pipes in a Grande bio falls and proceded to slither his way about 100' down to the pump where he proceded to get real cozy around the inner impeller of the pump. Well the pump got turned back on and guess who gets a phone call, "my pump stopped working". So I take the pump out of the skimmer and I can't believe my eyes when I look in the discharge hole and see the remains of a coiled up snake. Fortunately I had an extra pump I swapped out with him there, but that other pump sat in the back of my truck for about a week in the other pumps box. It was mid July. When the local Aquascape dealer opened up the box with the pump I had returned he about fell over dead from the smell. Ripe doesn't even come close to what would describe rotting and festering snake flesh in 100 degree temps.

The Lighting Geek
10-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Where I live rattlesnakes can be a problem. I always warn guys about baby rattlesnakes that go in a valve box through the bolt hole on the lid. They can be pretty pissed when you open the lid. As the case with an employee who open a valve box and a snake flew out and scarred the crap out of him. But the funny part was the little ritual he did from then on. He would dance around the box smacking it with a shovel, then flip the lid from as far away as he could using the shovel and always jumped in the air when the box lid popped up. We would ask him to go check a valves just so we could watch him and laugh until we cried. Poor guy!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-05-2008, 10:35 PM
This year it has been the ants. I have gone on at least 5 GFI reset calls only to find the outlet boxes filled with ant nests. My wife came up with a non-toxic solution: sprinkle some dry corn meal in the any nest and apparently it will take care of them.

Of course a good dose of RAID seems to work pretty well too.

The Ants are everywhere this year...

S&MLL
10-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Alot of Hadco Bulllytes with ANTS. By the time you replace a mr16 the ants are already at your neck

EOL
10-06-2008, 11:24 AM
I have been installing a scoop of ant killer in and around all of my well lights when I install and everytime I maintain them. I have been doing this for a couple of years now and have definitly noticed the difference.