PDA

View Full Version : Dumped my Lawn Treatment Service and going DIY...suggestions?

BermudaRectangle
02-07-2002, 02:18 PM
I've not seen results that would justify the $60/month I was paying for treatment...lawn wasn't green, weed control was marginal, etc., etc. So I dumped the service.

I figure I could do as well (or as bad) for less money.

I do own a spreader, along with the typical assortment of lawn warrior tools (mower, weedeater, leaf blower, etc.)

I have a 5000 sq. ft. patch of Bermuda grass...back yard is level, but larger front lawn is on a 30-degree slope. Entire lawn has an irrigation system.

So far, weeds are in check, no grubworms or other varmints seem to be doing any damage, and the turf condition seems okay.

What should I be doing to the yard this time of year to get a headstart to a greener lawn?

longslawn
02-07-2002, 10:50 PM
Get a soil test. This will have the Ph and fertilizer requirments for your lawn. The Ph is the most overlooked and in my opinion the most important part of getting a lawn weed free and healthy.
Bremuda grass is a grass that likes a regurlar amount of fertilizer and water to look its best. You also need to apply a preemergent herbicide later this month or early March.(Not really sure about Texas area timming)
Once grass starts greening up pretty good fertilize it with the type and amount on the soil test. You may want to use a weed and feed if needed the first time if weeds are a problem. Then fertilize angain in May-June-July.
You should also look to have the lawn aereated after the lawn is growing good, maybe around June. Don't do this to early because you will destory the pre-m and the grass needs to be active to recover quick.
Good luck!

edward hedrick
02-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Do the soil tests, Apply lime for ph, for Fert change to an organic
product with N values 5-8. Stop pestisides and other chemicals.
Try to grow earth worms. I have an article from Consumers
Reports on lawn care. "Can you buy it in a bag??"
Be happy to send a copy. need a Pmail address. Ed
hedlawn@hotmail.com

Randy J
02-15-2002, 08:56 AM
For our area (South Central Texas), I'd recommend a good quality organic fertilizer right now, followed up with a topdressing of compost in mid-March.
Randy

JJOHN22042
02-17-2002, 06:47 PM
Go see the People at Lesco you can do it yourself and will love how your Lawn looks. Have used Lesco for a few years here and they have been great and willing to help with questions.. Good Luck:blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

BermudaRectangle
02-18-2002, 03:53 PM
Ah yes...soil pH...saw a program on HGTV where the guy used only organic products to keep his lawn healthy and weed-free. He specified the importance of knowing the soil pH.:)

Where does one obtain a soil pH test kit if it is available? Or do you have to get a soil engineer to come over and do this for you?

Turfdude
02-18-2002, 06:23 PM
You can take a "core" sample to your local County Extension Agent. They will ship the sample to a lab and get a full report. The cost should be around $10-$15. You get report of pH as well as macro and micro fertilizer levels as well as suggestions to improve soil quality and fertility.

Good luck

Bob

HOWARD JONES
02-20-2002, 10:01 AM
I also recommend getting the soil test and talking to an extension agent - looks like you live in the limestone/coleche area and I would be very surprised if you need lime. If you have the alkaline soil I think you have, there are different fertilizers recommended for that.