PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Blowers

livingreen1
10-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Anyone had any power trouble with the br550. We can't seem to get it back to full power. Any help?

Richard Martin
10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
When was the last time you changed the plug and air filter? What kind of oil/gas mix are you using? Did you have the valves adjusted at 130 hours like the manual tells you to?

Langford2000
10-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Also, If you aren't using a synthetic oil then you need to decarbon the engine when you check the valves since the blower will already be apart.

viper00085
10-07-2008, 08:55 AM
There has been alot of updates that needed to be done to the br500-600 series depending on serial number. IF its below sn 267140860, it may need the exh valve replaced, along with fuel lines, tank buffers and the static wire. best to talk to dealer about these repairs. They have also had some ign modules fail, causing top end power loss also (wty also). Also have seen carb issues, there are little welch plugs in the carb that they have had some issues with them coming out and they should be wty also.
** most issues, Stihl will step up to plate and help on warranty, even if the unit is 2-3 years old. They have had some issues, but it was all new technology and they have worked thru them and have everything pretty much under control now.

The other thing that is critical on these blowers, is the little nozzle pipe on the very end of the tubes. if the hole (opening) starts to open up from dragging/wearing on the ground the blower loses about 500-800 rpms and its noticible. ( it relies on that hole size for back pressure to keep the engine speed were it needs to be.( if ran worn out for a while it can actually foul the plug and cause carbon build up in the engine faster than normal)

gardenkeeper88
10-07-2008, 09:38 AM
There has been alot of updates that needed to be done to the br500-600 series depending on serial number. IF its below sn 267140860, it may need the exh valve replaced, along with fuel lines, tank buffers and the static wire. best to talk to dealer about these repairs. They have also had some ign modules fail, causing top end power loss also (wty also). Also have seen carb issues, there are little welch plugs in the carb that they have had some issues with them coming out and they should be wty also.
** most issues, Stihl will step up to plate and help on warranty, even if the unit is 2-3 years old. They have had some issues, but it was all new technology and they have worked thru them and have everything pretty much under control now.

The other thing that is critical on these blowers, is the little nozzle pipe on the very end of the tubes. if the hole (opening) starts to open up from dragging/wearing on the ground the blower loses about 500-800 rpms and its noticible. ( it relies on that hole size for back pressure to keep the engine speed were it needs to be.( if ran worn out for a while it can actually foul the plug and cause carbon build up in the engine faster than normal)

So the serial # on my piece of sh.... starts out 2650... This means mine should be one of these machines. Mine has been in the shop 9 or 10 times and has sat in my barn since last summer (07) as I decided to take my losses learn from my mistakes and NEVER buy another stihl product again. Not 1 thing would be done under warranty. I have never recieved any notice from stihl on any recalls or updates. I have paid mor than the price of a new machine just in repairs. the first summer it was not reccommended by stihl for synthetic oil. but after they figured that out that is all i have used. I HATE THEM.

underPSI
10-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Anyone had any power trouble with the br550. We can't seem to get it back to full power. Any help?

Have you checked the spark arrestor?

Dr. Godfrey
10-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Will most likely need motor Decarbed, and valves re adj. Make sure all updates have been done. Have had lots of problems if stihl syn oil not used.:cry:

viper00085
10-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Unfort there are not very many recalls in the lawn equip world, unless its a fire or injury risk. The info has been out and known by most competent stihl dealerships for 2+ years now. If your dealer has not done right by you by charging for repairs or not get the unit repaired properly, thats something that unfortnatley falls on the dealership shoulders. We have seven dealerships and have retailed and prolly updated hundreds of blowers and Stihl has covered every single one under warranty even when the units have been out in field for 2-3 years. Anytime new technology comes out there is always a chance of issue (hell look at the auto industry, my $50,000 truck has issues also, and were talking $500 blowers!), the big thing is, how the MFG stands behind it and Stihl in my eyes worked hard to get every issue resolved on there dime. You may want to try another dealership or even ask to get the local stihl service rep involved. (STihl has there own application/service reps in most areas that are more than willing to help customer and dealerships out on major issues)

Good Luck