PDA

View Full Version : When will you stop mowing?

Organic a go go
10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Im right up against it. Some accounts will go a little longer than others but just wondering how most of you will determine when to stop.

Icepuck72
10-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Usually when it stops growing.

Green Team Landscaping
10-05-2008, 06:33 PM
When the customer asks. Really, it's just more $ in the pocket.

Dugann
10-05-2008, 08:27 PM
when the grass stops growing and customers stop paying. Then it time for leaves, tree trimming, property clean up, gutter cleaning, house blowing off, deer hunting, and oh yea a lot of beer drinking.

Dave_005
10-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Im right up against it. Some accounts will go a little longer than others but just wondering how most of you will determine when to stop.

I'm in the south burbs from you. i stop cutting the end of OCT, and will go longer by the customers request.. weather dependant. Last season almost half of my accounts wanted me to continue almost to Thanksgiving due to the warm fall and late dropping of leaves last year...

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Weekly through next week. Then a 10 day cycle till dormancy. Then one last cut, scalping down to prep for the snow.

J&R Landscaping
10-05-2008, 08:44 PM
It usually varies per the property. I'll stop when it stops. We should still have a least a full month to go if not a bit longer before it stops growing. Then leaves will be in full swing.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I am already starting to cut back to bi-weekly on some accounts while some of them are still weekly. Just took on 2 more accounts today. I am hoping this rain we are supposed to get tonight will help it grow some more. It seems like the lawns that have irrigation are still going strong. The ones that don't get watered are my bi-weekly now.......go figure

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-05-2008, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=Lawn Freak;2542712]I am hoping this rain we are supposed to get tonight will help it grow some more./QUOTE]

I stalled on my 5th round of chemicals until last week. That fertilizer, along with the past 2 days of heavy rain - should keep me going strong for a while.

...Just so long as we don't freeze hard...

David Haggerty
10-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Rainfall determines my mowing schedule. Not the calendar, not the temperatures.
I've mowed between snow falls. Grass just needs moisture to grow. Soil temps are OK.

We've had no significant rain since July. So I'm pretty much done. Last year we mowed into November.

I mow industrial sites that are strictly mowed "as needed". Nothing's growing except around the watered flower beds.
It's so dry I don't think I can core aerate & fertilize this fall. Not even the weeds are growing so no fall broadleaf weed control either! Did I say it's dry?

We need some of those cold nasty autunm rains.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-06-2008, 08:47 AM
With cooler temps now and rain in the forecast, I would say I will be mowing most accounts until Halloween and maybe a select few into Nov if they want it.

deere615
10-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Many of my lawns requested bi-weekly or I put them to bi-weekly, But I will probably still be mowing until the end of oct. Hopefully so fall cleanups through october and november

Lawdog302
10-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I have gone biweekly until the grass is done growing or the people tell me to not come.

02DURAMAX
10-07-2008, 04:13 AM
About Nov. 15th...Or when it just stops growing.