PDA

View Full Version : At What percent do you mark up materials?

From Dust 'til Lawn
10-05-2008, 08:02 PM
This weekend I had a customer ask me to plant some perennials and lay mulch and what not....At what % do you guys mark up your materials...in my case, I went to the garden center and picked the stuff up.. so, I was thinking of what % to charge for that..Thanks!!!

GravelyGuy
10-05-2008, 08:42 PM
I charge the customer what they would pay of they went in to get it themselves and then I just charge them a delivery fee. I used to mark stuff up, but then you get the heroic homeowner that wants to go pick the crap up in their mini van to save a buck. It's just easier for me to do it this way.

From Dust 'til Lawn
10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm thinking the delivery fee is what I'm marking it up for.....I give the customers the option to get what they want themselves or have me get the crap...either way, I don't care..I like how you put it...heroic...some do think this way...

S.A.L.
10-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't have a set rate of mark-up. A lot depends on how cheap I can find the material. The cheaper I can find it (compared to fair market value) the higher % my mark-up will be.

Dugann
10-05-2008, 09:24 PM
30% for me for most part what I mark up materials and etc.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't do plants, but on irrigation supplies, I mark everything up an additional 50-100%. I carry it around all summer, I shell out $$ in advance for parts... And they have no idea what they're doing. This type of work is very lucrative, b/c they pay for every expense and then some... and then my labor rate is almost pure profit...