PDA

View Full Version : 20Hp ghs walker question

johnnyusa
10-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Before I cut the lawn today there was only a little bit of fallen leaves on the grass and much to my surprise i noticed that after i cut the grass I noticed a few leaves that were laying on top of the grass still (grass was short) did not get sucked into the catcher. Is this normal to have to go over the lawn again just to get a few that were left behind?. My friend opened the door and said there was plenty of air coming into the catcher. Dont get me wrong the lawn looked great after i was done i was just wondering if there was anything walker owners could advise I check just to see if its operating right? I just thought the mower should of gotten all the leaves in one shot because there wasnt that much plus the grass was short and I went slow ? any advice would be appreciated. John

BarrFarms
10-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I hadn't ever had this problem, especially not in short grass. Were the leaves wet or slung out the back? I would try a 3/4" exhaust screen that helps me quite abit, but I have to make two trips in 6-8" of leaves.

Thanks,

Aaron Marshall
10-05-2008, 10:48 PM
I've got the same machine and frankly I'm not happy with the sucktion of it. They get most of the leaves but not all. Next year I'm getting a exmark navigator, you can go virtually wide open and get all the leaves. I'm getting sick of my little yellow turtle. Things to check: make sure your screen is all open in your hopper, then check your blower wheel and housing, make sure they aren't "sand damaged" and then check your blades and make sure the vent holes are free on your deck. Hope that helps

WalkerMike98
10-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Sounds like the deck could be clogged. Raise it up and check the chute.

Pro-Turf, LLC
10-05-2008, 10:53 PM
raise the deck height...sometimes the deck will push the leaves off to the sides or slow down

Jason Rose
10-05-2008, 11:05 PM
There's the question. Is it actually not sucking up all the leaves OR are they not going under the deck (being pushed off to the sides).

If they aren't all getting UNDER the deck you need to raise the front of the deck 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher than the back. I do this all fall.

If it's going over them and not cleaning them up 100%, and you are cutting pretty low, I'd check out the other suggestions in the posts above, but some leaves are just hard to suck up with ANY mower.

nosparkplugs
10-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Walker or Navigator, the subulated leaf shapes are tough to suck up those long and narrow leafs, no surface area, and if they have made their way below the grass line you gotta use a blower to get them back up on top of the turf:cry:

During the leaf clean-up season, we raise the front of the GHS deck to the 5th pin holes, then leave the rear at the third pin holes. During the transition between summer cutting to fall clean-up when the deck is perfectly level front to back some leaves will be pushed to either side of the deck no matter the mower. Depending on the leaf shape it may require extra passes even for the Walker.

johnnyusa
10-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for advice . I tried a bigger screen and it works great

Blmtlandscapes
10-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm actually having the same problem with my walker. Did you get the bigger screen from your dealer?

Jason Rose
10-08-2008, 10:28 PM
I bought the large hole screen, extra, with my new MT walker. I don't have a use for it. Frankly, it lets too much grass through, even when it's soaking wet. Maybe it's because I have the 10.5" blower? I didn't note any difference in cut or vacuumm between the std. screen and the large hole screen. Again, I think the 10.5" blower is the difference. I've never been able to clog the chute.

johnnyusa
10-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I went back to the smaller screen for the same reason, too much coming out back. I found out my vent holes (bat wings) on the deck had wet grass plugged in them. once I cleared them it sounded like a hoover again. I also made a rubber flap just like the newer model and that seems to help with debris coming out back toward the operator. thanks for all your advice.

GrassmasterB
10-09-2008, 11:55 PM
I went back to the smaller screen for the same reason, too much coming out back. I found out my vent holes (bat wings) on the deck had wet grass plugged in them. once I cleared them it sounded like a hoover again. I also made a rubber flap just like the newer model and that seems to help with debris coming out back toward the operator. thanks for all your advice.

where exactly are these vent holes? what size deck are you using? do all of the ghs decks have these vent holes?

Jason Rose
10-10-2008, 12:16 AM
where exactly are these vent holes? what size deck are you using? do all of the ghs decks have these vent holes?

The vents are only on the 48" GHS decks. The 42 and 36 do not have them. (Unsure about the 52", I think it has the vents as well).

GrassmasterB
10-10-2008, 01:05 AM
The vents are only on the 48" GHS decks. The 42 and 36 do not have them. (Unsure about the 52", I think it has the vents as well).

thanks jason, i thought i was overlooking something. i have the 42''.

grassaholic
10-10-2008, 09:21 AM

No vents on the 52" collection deck. Like others have said, If the grass is tall enough, then not all of the leaves will go under the deck. The ones that don't go under the deck will usually get pushed off to one side of the deck or the other. Like NoSparkplugs said, if the leaves are embeded down in the grass you will need to blow them loose with your blower or lower the cutting height to get them. The Walker does not leave the perfectly clean lawn every time. It is alot better than any other "collecting mower" on the market though. I guess the Nav. is supposed to be just as good.