PDA

View Full Version : Echo SRM-210 questions.

Pennington Lawncare
10-06-2008, 01:13 AM
I bought a SRM-210 a few months ago and I've got a couple complaints with it. First off, the thing is hard to start requiring 8 or so pulls of the rope before it starts and yes I prime it. When it does attempt to fire up it then takes a while to warm up so that it will run right. It's pretty much been this way since it was new.

I'm about to put a new spark plug in it and hopefully that will help it out a little. Once it's warmed up it will easily fire right up on the first pull but, if you let it cool off for a very few minutes it'll require a few more cranks and possibly require the use of the choke to get it running again.

The other thing that I don't like is the head itself. The head that came on the 210 I bought was supposed to be the better head but, if that's Echo's idea of a superior head then I sure don't want to see their cheaper head. The string already stretched out the holes that are supposed to hold the string and then I started bending the string in the middle and sliding the center down into the slots of the head to hold them instead. The string often hangs and doesn't want to feed properly. I much prefer the Husqvarna head on my 323L over this echo head. Maybe I should put a Husqvarna head on this Echo. I bought a Husqvarna head a while back and it came with other sized parts in the pack to make it work with other trimmers so hopefully it will work on an Echo. Unless someone has an alternative suggestion.

I'm hoping that the local Echo dealer can adjust the carb on the 210 to help it start more easily and I'll figure the head out eventually possibly with the help of someone on here. Thanks much in advance.

PS. If I had noticed that the 210 didn't have carb adjustment screws that can be easily adjusted I probably wouldn't have bought it.

StrongScape
10-06-2008, 01:19 AM
I was actually looking into to buying one , glad I read your thread first. Sorry you are having so much trouble. I hope it works out for you. Please let me know the outcome.

P.S I have a Pb413 blower that cranks on the first pull , i thought I could except the same from the trimmers

DaughtryLC
10-06-2008, 01:42 AM
You can do a search on the 210s, They are a bit*h to start. This is how I start mine: prime 3 times, @ full choke(holding the throttle wide open)pull until it fires once.then put choke @ half and hold throttle open. when it fires it will start running and open choke until it clears up and runs smooth(always holding throttle). nothing else will help. you can spend $ on it all you want to but its a waste!! Welcome to Echo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cody890
10-06-2008, 01:59 AM
You might make sure your air filter is clean. I'm really not familiar with weedeater spark plugs but I know on bigger motors you can run a hotter spark plug which should help your problem. I guess you could also be flooding it. If it smokes a lot right when it fires then it's probably flooding enough to not want to start. And as far as the head goes. I've always had echomatic pro's on my trimmers and have had good luck with them. As long as you wind the string properly they always feed just fine. My srm-261 did come with some sort of auto-loader head that lasted me about a week though...

StBalor
10-06-2008, 06:31 AM
I have been useing this trimmer for about 10 years now. They usually last me 2 years. The past 2 times i have bought them i noticed they are getting very hard to start. Probably will end up changing brands next year.
Just not sure what to go with. I am so use to useing the echo srm210.

Charles
10-06-2008, 07:06 AM
I hope you are using 89 octane fuel? Are you keeping the cooling vents cleared? Changing the filter in the tank every so often? Blowing out the carb filter? I like the dual line head better than the old ones. Less likely to get tangled. String still goes in the slots pretty good after a couple of months but both type heads don't last all that long anyway

ALC-GregH
10-06-2008, 07:55 AM
I love my 210 trimmer. It starts alittle hard but I have NEVER changed the plug, it's sat in the cold garage for 5 winters now and was only used for my property. I started my business and now use it as my primary trimmer and has been flawless so far. If I use it at one property, by the time I get to the next job, it's already cold and needs choked to start again. Whats the big deal? My 230 blower is the same exact way. I start them about the same as DaughtryLC and they have always started. I've been slowly changing my starting method. I've found that if I prime it 5-10 times instead of just a few, all I have to do is choke it and start pulling. Usually within 3 or 4 pulls it starts, gotta be quick with the choke or it will stall but for the most part, it starts very easy. Remember, these tiny engines are not like a EFI automobile, they need finesse to help them start. Lets not make life harder then it already is.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-06-2008, 08:01 AM
I remember having those issues when I bought that unit. My Maruyama had died and so I ran to Home Depot to grab one. Tough to start, slow to warm up. Underpowered... I exchanged it 3x's thinking it was dumb luck. ...The only thing dumb was ME for purchasing it.

That being said, I currently run a 230 and a 251T. I like them both. They're each a couple of years old, and they start on one or two pulls each time. Low maintenance and cheap parts. I have 4 split-chamber heads that I keep pre-spooled for quick changeouts.

Step it up from that model and you'll do okay.

cutbetterthanyou
10-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Prime it till there is no bubbles in the gas line or bulb or when you feel it tighten up .Then use daughtrylcs method's. I know it sounds dumb, but hold the trimmer upside down when it is cold it warms up a lot faster. I can actually take mine running upside down and turn it over and it will cut completely off sometimes .I try to do my edging first while it warms up.

ALC-GregH
10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
I can't see it being under powered for everyday use. I'm at half throttle most of the time. I guess if your trimming thick tall weeds yeah maybe. 6 years without touching a needle or the plug and it still runs great, this last year it has seen 10x the use and still works great.

Donald A
10-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Ran Echo 210 for about 3 years, a little hard to start but was happy with the performance for maintaining my 5 acres with a lot of fence lines. My son liked it so much he how claims he owns it. Bought the echo 230 and like it a lot more than the 210. More powerful and starts easier. Very happy with the 230...

ALC-GregH
10-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I bought my Echo trimmer and hand held blower 6 years ago with the intention of opening my business back then but it didn't work out. My credit got messed up years before and stopped me from getting what I needed to get started. Had I made it happen back then, I think I'd be better off now. My point, the Echo 210 trimmer I bought back then was the best thing I could have done.

capetan
10-06-2008, 10:23 AM
hahah , those take a lot of pulls to get started when cold, but still a very reliable machine, no problems once running, for $200 bucks its a good purchase, under heavy use it may seem under powered but for the most part its fine.... obviously you can spend $300 or more and get a better machine, but for an entry level commercial equipment its nice.

mag360
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I bought a SRM-210 a few months ago and I've got a couple complaints with it. First off, the thing is hard to start requiring 8 or so pulls of the rope before it starts and yes I prime it. When it does attempt to fire up it then takes a while to warm up so that it will run right. It's pretty much been this way since it was new.

I'm about to put a new spark plug in it and hopefully that will help it out a little. Once it's warmed up it will easily fire right up on the first pull but, if you let it cool off for a very few minutes it'll require a few more cranks and possibly require the use of the choke to get it running again.

The other thing that I don't like is the head itself. The head that came on the 210 I bought was supposed to be the better head but, if that's Echo's idea of a superior head then I sure don't want to see their cheaper head. The string already stretched out the holes that are supposed to hold the string and then I started bending the string in the middle and sliding the center down into the slots of the head to hold them instead. The string often hangs and doesn't want to feed properly. I much prefer the Husqvarna head on my 323L over this echo head. Maybe I should put a Husqvarna head on this Echo. I bought a Husqvarna head a while back and it came with other sized parts in the pack to make it work with other trimmers so hopefully it will work on an Echo. Unless someone has an alternative suggestion.

I'm hoping that the local Echo dealer can adjust the carb on the 210 to help it start more easily and I'll figure the head out eventually possibly with the help of someone on here. Thanks much in advance.

PS. If I had noticed that the 210 didn't have carb adjustment screws that can be easily adjusted I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Husky head will thread right onto the echo. That's quite a downgrade from the 323 to the echo 210.

lawnsbyrj
10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I love mine to I have had 4 mostly OK one burned up ( I think we used a little straight gas) the other 3 have been great, they have been beaten to death and work great I did upgrade to the 260 series the last one i bought and it is not as powerful as the old 210 to me

IA_James
10-06-2008, 02:46 PM
The 210s are a little cold blooded, but have plenty of power. I love mine, would buy another one in a second.

Lawn-Sharks
10-06-2008, 04:04 PM
2-3 Pulls max for my 210.. I used to have problems with it starting but i switched to amsoil 100:1 mix and have not had a problem with any of my 2cyl equipment since.. Good luck!

dougmartin2003
10-06-2008, 04:21 PM
i have had mine for 2 years now and its a good machine,yeah it is a little cold natured, but i would buy another again

Lawnut101
10-06-2008, 05:33 PM

I'm about to put a new spark plug in it and hopefully that will help it out a little. Once it's warmed up it will easily fire right up on the first pull but, if you let it cool off for a very few minutes it'll require a few more s and possibly require the use of the choke to get it running again.

Don't prime it if there is gas in the primer already. That's what my dealer told me. Works for me.

hockeypro1411
10-06-2008, 05:46 PM
ive never had an issue with mine. i run 93 octane gas in all my small engines, and use the echo 2 cycle oil. 2-3 pulls on full choke and its goin. once it starts i hold the throttle wide open and slowly move from full choke to no choke. seems to get it going much faster.

TPnTX
10-06-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about either. I have all echo 2 strokes including 3 210's. They have plenty of power for most uses and are great on gas. I had a Stihl for a while, like a few days, now it was a B to start it used twice as much gas. It was the bigger cc trimmer.

Anyway 3 trimmers, 1 edger that I never use, 2 backpacks and a hand held. They all work exactly the same. However if you deviate from the sequence ever so slightly it will flood and not want to start.

3 even primes.
choke all the way
pull it until it makes the slightest noise that it tried to fire.(this is usually two pulls)
unchoke and pull again. works every single time. never an exception.

I'm sure the stihl has its own sequence but at the rate it used gas I didn't care I took it back immedieately. I wonder if the echo230 uses that much gas?

freshprince94
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I had one for the first year I had my business. I had all the same problems you described, it was a beotch to start and warm up.

I too hated the head so I put on a Rapid Loader, what a difference.

I now have a Stihl trimmer and love it way more than the Echo.

ed2hess
10-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about either. I have all echo 2 strokes including 3 210's. They have plenty of power for most uses and are great on gas. I had a Stihl for a while, like a few days, now it was a B to start it used twice as much gas. It was the bigger cc trimmer.

Anyway 3 trimmers, 1 edger that I never use, 2 backpacks and a hand held. They all work exactly the same. However if you deviate from the sequence ever so slightly it will flood and not want to start.

3 even primes.
choke all the way
pull it until it makes the slightest noise that it tried to fire.(this is usually two pulls)

I'm sure the stihl has its own sequence but at the rate it used gas I didn't care I took it back immedieately. I wonder if the echo230 uses that much gas?

I agree we got one and had no problem. If a 2 stroke don't start then it simply needs more gas. And that is pretty simple to fix...if it has the carb screws then really simple. If it doesn't then you simply take the top off the carb turn the needle clock wise and put it back in. Takes maybe 5 minutes at most. And you don't really need to mess around with the primmer on any echo if you adjust them.

johnslandscaping
10-06-2008, 07:09 PM
I have 6 srm-210 trimmers never had any problems with them. Just new employes smacking the spool heads on the concrete and wearing the spools out. I only use echo products. I had to many problems with other equipment brands. Echo also has i start recoil to help start quicker. mine take about 2 pulls to get going then after we cut are first lawn 1 pull the rest of the day.

Richard Martin
10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm really not familiar with weedeater spark plugs but I know on bigger motors you can run a hotter spark plug which should help your problem.

You should never run a hotter plug in a small 2 stroke. It is not that hard to burn a hole in a piston doing that. I had a Suzuki GT-380 once and ran a set of 2 heat range hotter plugs in it. It was a 3 cylinder engine with holes in the tops of 2 pistons. I got to buy the Weiscos again. Never again.

Tharrell
10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I remember the 380. A friend of mine had one, ported polished and chrome chambers. That thing scared the crap out of me. And it sounded like a monkey with his ass on fire. Tony

Pennington Lawncare
10-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Can someone tell me why Home Depot does not carry the NGK BPM8Y spark plug that all of the Echo trimmers and edgers on display require? The cross reference I found could only cross it to one of those $6 plugs with a lifetime guarantee.

I'd rather stick with the OEM spark plug anyway so I went to Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'Reilly Auto Parts and none of those 3 stock that plug either. They can order it I believe but, no one stocks it. So I'll probably go to my local Ace Hardware tomorrow and get one.

While I was at Home Depot tonight I noticed a $30 U-Turn head made by Echo that will fit most trimmers. The Pro what ever the crap head that came on my 210 isn't very Pro IMO. So I was curious if any of you have run that U Turn head which is now featured on Echo's website? http://www.echo-usa.com/productlanding.asp?page=UTURN is the page and it's got a cute video of someone stringing it. Does the U Turn head hold any less string than the Pro head? The head on my Husqvarna holds a lot more than the Pro head on my 210 and it also feeds more reliably. I don't mind trying the U Turn head if it holds plenty of string but, I wonder if the U Turn mechanism doesn't take up some space and thus reduces the capacity.

BTW, I usually fill up my 2 stroke gas can with 93 octane since it does take over a week before I need a refill and gas does lose octane over time. Besides that, 2 stroke engines that occasionally get lugged can suffer from detonation and a higher octane could help to protect against that. I'm about to start running Amsoil Saber 2 stroke oil but, am a little hesitant to running 100:1 and will probably stick to 50:1 since I'll be using that same pre-mix with my chainsaws.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-07-2008, 01:52 PM
thats why i dont like echo everything i have tried has been the same way you Pennington describe it as

MAD87
10-07-2008, 03:59 PM

3 even primes.
choke all the way

My 230 will run 2 hours on a tank of gas nearly wide open. For normal trimming, it will run about 2 1/2 hours. It uses MUCH less fuel than my Stihl does!

J & D Greens
10-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I also have the Echo 210. Got it last year at the begining of the season,I was having the same issues with it as you. When I read on the sight around March some one posted that you don't need to prime it unless it is absolutly nessasary. So I never prime it. I just set the lever to choke, pull one-three times till it pops, then move the lever half way over to the middle, hold the throttle wide open until it starts then let it warm up a few seconds before going hard on the motor. Now I never have issues with it running. But I also had to change the head. My dealer suggested the Speed-feed head by Shindaiwa. Its works pretty good. The only two things I don't like on it is I had to buy the smaller version so it doesn't hold as much line as the larger one and the line sometimes recoiles back into the head when you are just letting it idle,( then you find yourself pulling it apart to get going again. But if you are keeping enough line out it is easier to keep from happening

Pennington Lawncare
10-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Well, I went to my local Ace Hardware and they are retailers of Stihl and Echo. I thought they would have had a genuine NGK plug for those Echos but, alas they only had Champion and were going to give me the wrong heat range at that. So I then called O'Reillys and asked if they could order the plug and it's not in their computer at all. I then called Auto Zone and they show the NGK item number which is 2057 I believe but, they can't order it. So I went to the Advance Auto parts store and ordered 3 of those NGK BPM8Y spark plugs @ just under $2 a pop.

Now back to the head choices. The new U Turn head is $29.99 at Home Depot but, was around $33.50 at Ace hardware. Ace did however have a larger selection of Echo replacement heads and some of those appear to work like the U Turn head. So I'm wondering if the U Turn head is the best thing since sliced bread. I also wonder how much of a warranty that new U Turn head has.

rlmcw
10-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I have had my 210 for 5 years. I have done no maintenance at all and mine starts after 4 pulls.

J&R Landscaping
10-07-2008, 10:28 PM
The srm-210 I have is a little more then 3 years old. Starts great and has decent power. Nothing compared to my Shindaiwa 261 but it gets it done when I use it.
I would buy another Echo trimmer for sure! The same thing goes for Shindaiwa!

Lazer_Z
10-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Well, I went to my local Ace Hardware and they are retailers of Stihl and Echo. I thought they would have had a genuine NGK plug for those Echos but, alas they only had Champion and were going to give me the wrong heat range at that. So I then called O'Reillys and asked if they could order the plug and it's not in their computer at all. I then called Auto Zone and they show the NGK item number which is 2057 I believe but, they can't order it. So I went to the Advance Auto parts store and ordered 3 of those NGK BPM8Y spark plugs @ just under $2 a pop.

Now back to the head choices. The new U Turn head is $29.99 at Home Depot but, was around $33.50 at Ace hardware. Ace did however have a larger selection of Echo replacement heads and some of those appear to work like the U Turn head. So I'm wondering if the U Turn head is the best thing since sliced bread. I also wonder how much of a warranty that new U Turn head has.NO, The Shindaiwa Speed Feed is the best thing since sliced bread. Check one out and you'll trash the Echo heads.

Pennington Lawncare
10-07-2008, 11:31 PM
NO, The Shindaiwa Speed Feed is the best thing since sliced bread. Check one out and you'll trash the Echo heads.

Well I was actually looking for a comparison of the U Turn head compared with the other Echo heads. Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't the Shindaiwa speed feed head work just like the Echo U Turn? What's the price of the Shindaiwa head and does it fit the Echo perfectly?

aahotard
10-07-2008, 11:42 PM
i have had a 210 now for a year and no problems. Usually it starts on the third pull. I love it and would definately buy another one.

Tharrell
10-08-2008, 06:49 AM
I would think that motorcycle shops would carry NGK spark plugs. Tony

bholmer
10-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I agree, I love my 210. For $220 you cant beat the price. It can be a little hard to start, but when it gets warmed up its great.

karlgrooms
10-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Have had two over the years, great trimmers for the money $199 at Home Depot. Alway running by third pull and is quite capable of working through most situations. Easy on fuel consumption with 93 gas and husqvarna xp oil at 50 to 1. I do not baby my hand helds. They stay on the trailor exposed to the elements all year with little to no service.

I'd have to say my newest one which is about 2.5 yrs old seems to take a little longer to warm up to the task.

karlgrooms
10-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Have had two over the years, great trimmers for the money $199 at Home Depot. Alway running by third pull and is quite capable of working through most situations. Easy on fuel consumption with 93 gas and husqvarna xp oil at 50 to 1. I do not baby my hand helds. They stay on the trailor exposed to the elements all year with little to no service.

I'd have to say my newest one which is about 2.5 yrs old seems to take a little longer to warm up to the task.

With a 5 yr warranty take it to your local service dealer and have it worked on.

RocketLab
10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
My 210 started 2-3 pulls cold everytime when newer and warmed up quick. Now with maybe 40-50 hours on it it became very difficult to start, maybe 8-9 pulls and seems to take longer to warm :confused:. Changed air and fuel filters as well as plug and that helped a little but still not like it was.

Now my PE 230 edger has always been a 4-5 pull starter and very cold blooded. I let it idle a full minute or so while unloading to get it up to temp.

Richard Martin
10-08-2008, 04:32 PM
With a 5 yr warranty take it to your local service dealer and have it worked on.

Yeah, that can be an issue. Our local Echo dealer won't even touch it if he didn't sell it.

J & D Greens
10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I think I paid $35- for a Shindaiwa speed feed that fit my Echo 210 w/adapter at my dealer, works great !!!!!

Pennington Lawncare
10-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I went ahead and bought the U Turn Echo head today and I haven't had to load any string on it yet. It's supposed to hold 24 ft. of .095 so that should be sufficient. I might try a Shindaiwa head on my Husqvarna whenever I need another head for that trimmer.

The 210 is still being a little stubborn to start even after putting in a new NGK plug, thanks EPA. I don't know if the dealer can do anything to the carb to fix it. My model has no visible adjustment screws and was bought around 3 months ago.