PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Advertise

desert rose gardening
10-06-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm looking to do the most successful type of advertising I can, I would like your opinion on what works for you and what you have tried and failed with. I have been in the business for 24 years and have tired them all. I want to do some more advertising, but I don't want to wast my time or money. Thanks for the advise.

zz4guy
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I recommend direct mailings. Yellow pages are a waste of money IMO. So are newspaper ads. I like mailers because the person is almost gauranteed to see it when they get their mail. Plus they have something to hold onto for later. But an ad in a paper is probably only seen by 10% of the people of the people that buy a paper.

My advice is take some time and spend some money to get a great direct mailer. And then mail them out right when spring hits (mid March).

I direct mailed about 5000 people for $800 in my first year and had more than enough to keep me busy part time.

tinman
10-14-2008, 12:38 AM
depends on your area likely. Try a few to get a feel then track what works & what does not. classifieds & flyers worked best for me generally

Dunlaps LawnCare
10-14-2008, 11:18 AM
newspaper & flyers work great for me depends on your area though

cbscreative
10-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Regardless of which method you decide to use, zz4 hit on an important principle. Make sure your design is effective. Whether it's direct mail, newspaper, or something else, most people seem to take advantage of the "free design" that publishers offer. I think this is a bad mistake. These are done by production artists who only put enough thought and effort into it to move on to the next customer as quickly as they can. The advertising that stands out is that which has been done with plenty of thought and planning.

This also means that you want to consider more than just what someone says succeeds or fails. For example, if someone says, "Newpaper ads don't work," I would want to know more about their ad and the market. It could very well be that someone could succeed using the same method someone else failed with. I'm not saying that newspaper is good or bad, only that it if the ad was at fault, it's not fair to condemn the newspaper.

tradeyouraccounts
10-16-2008, 01:18 AM
For low cost returns the signage on your vehicle always gets local work. Vehicle wraps are more expensive but for the life of them maybe 3 years you’ll be sure to be a local eye catcher.

lawnproslawncare
10-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Do a excellent job on your lawns every time...they will come your way

capnsac
10-17-2008, 03:55 AM
I direct mailed about 5000 people for $800 in my first year and had more than enough to keep me busy part time.

Any specific figures?

DLAWNS
10-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I like good old fashioned fliers, and direct mail. I personally was not impressed with yellow book's results or their service for that matter.

blake g
10-18-2008, 12:14 PM
zz4guy i to would like some more info on the direct mailing