PDA

View Full Version : Magic Grass Needed; low profile, dryland; James?

Tim Wilson
10-06-2008, 03:26 PM
We are burning off some extensive weed patches this fall and I want to seed with some grass ground cover possibly with Alsikes for nutrient exchange. Are there any suggestions for a grass which grows in thick, does not grow too tall and is dryland tolerant? James, do you have any ideas?

Barefoot James
10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Since all our tall fescue comes from your neck of the woods I would imagine tall fescue might be a great option? I would for sure recommend the Pennington Smart Seed with MYCO. We are having WOW results here in KY.
Very drought tolerent once established and it would be mycorrhizal.

DeepGreenLawn
10-06-2008, 10:06 PM
what is the cost comparison though? I tried to find someone to sell it to me in bulk to no avail...

Any luck there?

DUSTYCEDAR
10-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Lets see some pics of the magic seed
jack where is the been stalk?

Tim Wilson
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Sounds like I'm best to stick with my present mx.

40%Turf-Type Tall Fescue
40%Hard Fescue
20%Turf-Type Perennial Ryegrass
with a handful of clover

Penningtons is not available in Canada. I could try my own mycorrhizal inoculation I guess.

Barefoot James
10-07-2008, 08:45 PM
How whould one go about inoculating seed with mycorrhizae?

treegal1
10-07-2008, 08:59 PM
How whould one go about inoculating seed with mycorrhizae?the same way people spread a cold, contact. we love the new mycostim from Terra nova, bills tea, some compost tea that has some native AM and EM in it, maybe even chop up some nice cow pasture clods that have great looking grass.

james we still have another spot on the fishing trip..............

treegal1
10-07-2008, 09:04 PM
what is the cost comparison though? I tried to find someone to sell it to me in bulk to no avail...

Any luck there?
deep, dont buy a yougo if you want Ferrari speed, get the good stuff and pay through the nose, we just did a taste test, the tractor supply name brand did the worst out of all, 25% or less, the pennington seed did just fine 99%, and the ( hate to say this) the scotts stuff from slowes did great also.

Tim need a package from the states????

DeepGreenLawn
10-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I just went and looked at a yard I used tractors stuff on, only because they were the only ones still open, and it did alright in areas that stayed wet and damp... near the A/C and in the back where there is already a good stand of turf... up front though, where the problems are... it didn't do too well. I am sure a lot had to do with the rock hard soil but even where I put down compost to help hold the seed in place it didn't do too well...

I am going to go back with more compost and tell the customer that they need to keep it wet like the other locations.. ie keep the sprinklers on... other than that I was happy...

Tim Wilson
10-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Tim need a package from the states????

Thanks for the offer Treegal. I can always get Tad in Seattle to ship me some if I decide to try it. That's a lot closer than you are.

Tim Wilson
10-08-2008, 11:05 AM
How whould one go about inoculating seed with mycorrhizae?

I don't know really. I would buy the spores and just mix them in with the seed, perhaps with some peat as a carrier.

treegal1
10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the offer Treegal. I can always get Tad in Seattle to ship me some if I decide to try it. That's a lot closer than you are.
is it really that hard to ship seeds into Canada??? we used to get some fine cigars and just drive back, I would think that one of these Internet site's would ship them to you, every time I search seeds for sale some one has the hemp seeds there ready for shipment,LOLOL. this is only a lawn we are talking about??? oh sorry pasture, but still is it just the area your in with no supply??? how about rittenhouse, do they do seeds???maybe a fresh bag from tractor supply on line, the bags were like 9$ or something crazy low like that or lowes has this contractor cover seed its like 40- 40 20% something or other with all the weeds you would want for cents per lbs.

Tim Wilson
10-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I can get seeds, no problem, just not Penningtons. They do not ship into Canada and have no dealers here. 100 lbs is about $75 to $120 depending on mix.

treegal1
10-08-2008, 03:09 PM
cool happy grassing............

DUSTYCEDAR
10-22-2008, 10:30 PM
tim ill ship it to ya ill mark it stimulus package 2008