PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Straw Growing In My New Grass

GreenTurf
10-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Just curious if anyones has any ideas to cure the wheat straw growing in my grass. This was a job I did in my own backyard. The growth in all 3 pictures is only 3 weeks old. 1st picture is of the wheat i pulled from the ground, last 2 show the streamers of wheat on my newly planted fescue. I live in NC, with red clay, and I applied compost, then seed, and then the straw. Pictures really don't show alot, but it is twice as tall as the fescue. Will it be a problem in my future, is there a weed control product to get rid of it, will it die off, or do I wait to the spring. Any questions let me know? Thanks

JB1
10-06-2008, 05:34 PM
mow it and don't worry about it.

LawnNeedz
10-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I am pretty sure it will die off next spring. Why did you use straw on such a level lot? The only time that I apply straw is on slopes where erosion might be a concern.

sandman23
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I had the same problem. The builder had straw all over my lawn. I picked at it for 3 years and finally gave in and started over. I killed the entire lawn, raked and removed all the thatch, and reseeded. I seeded 2 weeks ago and it is germinating very well. It is probably too late in NC to start over. Give it a year and see how it does.

If you start over next year... Round up the grass in August (6 weeks prior to seeding). spend the next 6 weeks raking out the dead grass and prepping the soil. Start watering about a week before seeding. You want to be able to stick a screw driver 2" into the ground. Around first week of September, fert, aerate, seed. Water 10-15 min. per section (do not let puddle) every other day or so. Should get germination in 7-10 days.

DO NOT PUT STRAW DOWN!!!

corey4671
10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
it will die out in the spring....just be prepared to doing some mowing this winter and early in the spring as the heat and moisture pick up.

GreenTurf
10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
was not that level, tried planting last spring, and had alot of runoff with the seed. don't think i will ever use straw again. seems like the compost did all the work. last year used peat moss and decided to try some newspaper product, and used same grass seed, and didn't see results until after a month

GreenTurf
10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
My question is what makes the straw die? in the spring?

blackoak26
10-08-2008, 01:25 AM
My question is what makes the straw die? in the spring?
A mower will cause it to die. If left alone it will die in the fall since it is an annual. Don't let it go to seed

JDUtah
10-08-2008, 01:29 AM
keep it mowed and don't let it seed... you should be fine.

csmlawn
10-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Looks like the fescue is coming in nicely. The straw will die, no worries.