PDA

View Full Version : Aerator???? Need help....again..... THANKS!

DillonsLawnCare
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
hey guys, ive picked up about 5 landscaping jobs that involve over-seeding and aeration. ive got a pull behind plugger aerator for the acre lots. now i need a smaller one for the smaller lots.

im planning on renting a Ryan 24" plugger aerator for $75.00 a day.

i dont know how to use one....

any help would be appreciated!!!

hackitdown
10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
The guy at the rental shop will explain how it runs.

My advice: Take 2 vitamin I pills (ibuprofen), eat a big breakfast, and go for it. If you don't figure it out in the first 20 minutes, hire a helper.

Just kidding. Start the machine, engage the tines, start walking. Be careful when turning, or you will roto-til the lawn.

Jason Rose
10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
1. drive onto lawn

2. flip lower handle DOWN to raise the transport wheels

3. pull back on the "go" lever on top and HANG ON!

4. be VERY careful around EVERYTHING. You can tear something up quick if you hit it.

For turns you can either lift the rear and pivot on the drum in the front, this is good for 90* turning. Or, put the transport wheels back down to turn 180*.

Prepare to be beat up and wore out. The 24" models will eat your lunch if you have to jockey them around a lot of tight areas.

DillonsLawnCare
10-06-2008, 08:41 PM
so your saying ive got to put some muscle into it??

what if i just do like a 180 pivot turn....will it tear up too much grass??

thanks for all the help so far!!

Love this site!

Jason Rose
10-06-2008, 09:02 PM
You have to pull the tines out of the ground, either with the transport wheels or by lifting it onto the drum to turn. You can make gradual curves with the tines down and driving forwards, but you can't turn. You will find your limits of how much you can "curve" without rototilling the lawn.

I'm unsure if the newer Ryan 24" machines use a "split drum" or not.

DillonsLawnCare
10-06-2008, 09:04 PM
alright. i'll do a little more research on the machine, and i guess i'll have to figure out how to run it. so i'll just run it on my lawn first in order to get out all the user flaws!

Thanks for all the help!! Much appreciated!!!

DillonsLawnCare
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
do they have reverse?

Lbilawncare
10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
No reverse, just put the tines up and pull it. If you don't have enough muscle to pull it, you may be in the wrong industry.

david shumaker
10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Also, be careful on inclines and hills. I don't try to do ditches or inclines where the aerator might turn over. The aerator I have will drag you down a hill, so I put it on slow throttle if I have to go down an incline.

billslawn89
10-06-2008, 09:59 PM
be careful if the lawn has irrigation, don't want to bust a sprinker head!

david shumaker
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
The Ryan website has some videos on their aerators. The videos always show an easy yard, so it makes aeration look easy.

DillonsLawnCare
10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
be careful if the lawn has irrigation, don't want to bust a sprinker head!

yeah, funny thing...this lawn that requires a walk-behind aerator has irrigation, tight spots, soft soil, and slopes around 25-45 degrees.

Jason Rose
10-06-2008, 10:20 PM
For the sprinkers, yes it's best to flag the heads. I don't anymore, unless the customer does it for me. It's faster and cheaper for me to replace a broken head (which is RARE to happen with an aerator) than to walk the lawn through each zone, getting soaked, flagging heads.

If the slope is that much (which 45 deg. would be hard to even stand on) there's no way to aerate it.

DillonsLawnCare
10-06-2008, 10:33 PM
well, i dont know for sure if its 45 degrees, thats why i said 20 to 45, but when i was cutting it today, since the ground is so moist, i was tearing the grass up just standing on it!

its a new lawn that i just picked up. my first irrigated lawn.

how much are aerators?? should i just buy one?

Jason Rose
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
how much are aerators?? should i just buy one?

~ $2,500 new, minimum... You can find them used from home depot rentals (if you have one that rents around you) and other rental places that sell of their equipment every few years.

lil_cote_93
10-06-2008, 10:45 PM
I got a couple off ebay for around 800 shipped... thats the lowest you will get a good one
listen, i have a lot of experience operating these things.
When turning 180*.
Let go of the gas, pull the tines up, gas it again to get the barrel in the front spinning, then turn it 180*, then drop the tines
When the your barrel is spinning it makes it allot easier to spin. Don't do this if the lawn is soaked, but if its somewhat dry, you shouldn't have any problem, and you will feel allot better at the end of the day.
practice on own lawn maybe but its pretty easy
let me know how it goes

DillonsLawnCare
10-06-2008, 10:49 PM
alright! ill let you guys know what i decide to do and how it goes.

Thanks again!

LawnMowerKing10
10-06-2008, 10:55 PM
How do you use the towbehind if you dont have a ztr?

DillonsLawnCare
10-06-2008, 11:02 PM
oh, i just pull it with my brute strength!!! no, i have a tractor.