PDA

View Full Version : To guys who do commercial lighting

tonyGub
10-06-2008, 07:57 PM
OK I roll up to meet this developer at one of his new projects (A pretty large developer at that). I have never met this guy. He says he has heard good things about me and wants a proposal on a new community entryway and commercial development. He hands me a proposal from a competitor which installed lighting in a community he built a couple of years ago. The sign and entryway are similar and in the same area. He states he wants to use the same kind of lights which happens to be lumiere and hanover lantern (I am ok with that). All this was specified on the competitors proposal. When I read over the price that was charged my jaw almost dropped. I could hardly contain myself in front of this guy. I have always charged alot more for a commercial project but after reading this guys proposal I came to the realization that I must not be charging enough. I also realized that pricing by the fixture is doing your company a disservice. Wow! I have really been selling my self short on commercial jobs.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-07-2008, 08:16 AM
tell us what kind of commercial jobs you have done and what you have charged and what types of material you have used.

Question for everyone else, do you call entrances commercial? Just curious?

tonyGub
10-07-2008, 10:31 AM
tell us what kind of commercial jobs you have done and what you have charged and what types of material you have used.

Question for everyone else, do you call entrances commercial? Just curious?

Neighborhood entryways, restaurants, hotels, and office parks. Most materials are specified by the architect and are usually BK, Kim, and Lumiere. I normally charge about 2.5 times what I would charge a residential client. Of course this varies based on material, labor, road bores etc. Also, if you bore a road is a permit needed? This can tie your hands for quite some time. Community entrances are considered a commercial project by the county/city around here. We set the electrical meter base / panel and do require an inspection.