PDA

View Full Version : Sodding over old lawn?

wcheek
10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
What kind of results can i expect if i add 2 inches of top soil over an existing lawn and then lay sod on top of that? The old lawn was mainly c-grass and weeds. Or should i get a power rake and incorporate the new with the old.

mybowtie
10-06-2008, 10:52 PM
You can expect dead sod....Def power rake the area..put down starter fert befor laying sod...

pinto n mwr
10-06-2008, 11:08 PM
sod cutter, skid, then 2" topsoil

Earthworks Landscaping
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Starts with a good base

Whitey4
10-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Any sod or seed put down on turf, even if it's weeds will fail, period. Dethatch it to death. Down to dirt. Remove all debris. Aerate. Be sure you rip it up but good.... you have to have bare dirt to seed or sod. Any remaing thatch will choke the sod. It is hard enough to get sod to root into bare soil... try it on a weedbed, and you have a total failure on your hands.

After ripping up any and all vegitation and thatch, then fine, put down an inch of top soil. I'd mix in some compost with that too.

Be sure to butt the seams up hard, sod will shrink after installation. I've seen sod jobs that were 3 years old that never rooted.... soil prep is the key.

lawnjocky
10-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't lay sod but I've worked on plenty afterwords. Butting the joints is a good one, I don't know how many I've had to crumb dirt into. No one has said it but it seems best to roll sod after laying for better soil contact. Spend lots of time prepping your dirt. Fill the low spots, soak in any trenches or holes, workup the soil and smooth it out. What that ground looks like is what your lawn will look like. Man, I just hate seeing people and contractors do the least prep they can, throw down the sod and drive away. When you lay carpet you don't leave holes in the floor or not sweep.

loom-gen
10-12-2008, 06:32 AM
kill it and till it. then grade it and layed it. done! Thanks I'll be here all week.

ropinghorns
10-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Bermuda will grow here in Oklahoma layed on top of a rock. We have no problem with it as long as it gets water.

frumdig
10-12-2008, 01:52 PM
depending on conditions, spray site out with roundup, wait a week... weedeat everything down to the nubs, and or scrape with a shovel... topdress with a topsoil/promix.... grade site, fill in lowspots, ensure areas are going to drain well... then install sod... water... no problems... tilling, in most cases, does more harm that good... bringing up weed seed, and just an extra step that is usually not neceassary... a nice bed of topsoil will give the sod a good start... fertilizer really isnt necassary either... just proper watering...
-Evan

howierd3866
10-12-2008, 02:11 PM
we have done it all ways mowed the grass down low and fill in any area that needs extra fill then put the sod on top. But remeber that will raise it up a couple of inches some customer dont want their yard higher than the walkway but some do. Also we have mowed them low then spray them then about a week we touch up on any grading then lay sod....

Whitey4
10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
we have done it all ways mowed the grass down low and fill in any area that needs extra fill then put the sod on top. But remeber that will raise it up a couple of inches some customer dont want their yard higher than the walkway but some do. Also we have mowed them low then spray them then about a week we touch up on any grading then lay sod....

I really don't mean to flame your approach, but that is exactly the kind of shoddy work that low ballers do. It is fundamentally unsound.

howierd3866
10-13-2008, 06:38 AM
I really don't mean to flame your approach, but that is exactly the kind of shoddy work that low ballers do. It is fundamentally unsound.

its works well down here....and I wouldn't call it lowballing when it work well here and that what the customer wants..its use most of the time here to fix a problem fast to a low yard and if that what the customer want and they are paying the bill and dont want to spend anymore

YardPro
10-13-2008, 08:06 AM
You can expect dead sod....Def power rake the area..put down starter fert befor laying sod...

what a load of crap...

typical knee jerk reaction from someone who does not understand turf, soils, etc...

you will be fine doing that..

the old grass will die and detritivores will decompose the old grass, and root system, creating a fantastic environments for the roots of the new sod... lots of nice organic matter to feed off of.

What do you think topsoil is????

YardPro
10-13-2008, 08:07 AM

again someone that does not understand soil biology....

Whitey4
10-13-2008, 10:41 PM
again someone that does not understand soil biology....

What I do understand is that here in NY, that approach won't work. I've seen it tried, and the sod failed. Warm weather turfs like Zoysia or Bermuda ... I really can't comment on. Most lawns that people want sodded have issues, usually including thick thatch. I don't see how that thatch can break down if it gets burried.... decomposition does require some aeration, no?

ropinghorns
10-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Move to Oklahoma and you won't have to do so much work!!!!!!!!!! I have leftover sod from jobs often. I bring it home, with no prep. at all, and lay it on top of growing weeds and grass. Bermuda and fescue and Zoysia. It always grows as long as it gets water.

mngrassguy
10-13-2008, 11:38 PM
I have leftover sod from jobs often. I bring it home, with no prep. at all, and lay it on top of growing weeds and grass. It always grows as long as it gets water.

Same here. I always put KB sod on thin/bare areas on my yard and have never put it on thatch. It always takes well.

Whitey4
10-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Same here. I always put KB sod on thin/bare areas on my yard and have never put it on thatch. It always takes well.

OK, now I'm confused. ropinghorns said he put warm season pieces of sod on weeds... you said you have put KGB down on bare spots... how is that the same thing?

mngrassguy
10-14-2008, 01:58 AM
I use leftover sod from jobs that I use in my own lawn, just like ropinghorns does. Mine is KBG unlike his. I put it on top of thin areas, never on heavy thatch, and it always does well without having to break-up the soil or anything but watering.