PDA

View Full Version : Yard vacs

lone wolf
10-07-2008, 12:59 AM
We have a need for a yard vac for clean ups. I have been leaning towards the Billy Goat yard vac with a hose attactment and self propelled. Wondering if anyone uses yard vacs, or if anyone has a Billy Goat, and how you like it?

Going Commercial
10-07-2008, 01:40 AM
I myself have been researching these vacs. I was impressed with the Little Wonder's power but would not buy it unless they put a Honda engine on it. I was also told that LW will not be making a self-propelled unit anymore. The LW that I used was not sp. It is a heavy machine and feel the sp is the way to go with any unit your looking at. The vac is not the way to go for fall leaf cleanups. My use for a vac is for shrub trimming cleanup with hoes for beds.

lone wolf
10-07-2008, 08:06 AM
I have a Little Wonder self propelled. It is a piece of junk. The drive system is belt and pully operated, and we get about 10 hours on it before the belt breaks and the pulleys' seize up. My dealer does fix it, but the machine is in for weks maybe months. That's why I have been looking at Billy Goat, from a different dealer. I do have a better way for clean ups, I would plan on using the BG for debris pickup at some comm properties.

rsp1961
10-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I myself have been researching these vacs. I was impressed with the Little Wonder's power but would not buy it unless they put a Honda engine on it. I was also told that LW will not be making a self-propelled unit anymore. The LW that I used was not sp. It is a heavy machine and feel the sp is the way to go with any unit your looking at. The vac is not the way to go for fall leaf cleanups. My use for a vac is for shrub trimming cleanup with hoes for beds.

Looking into same products.

First off, It never even occurred to me to use the vac and hose for bed clean ups esp. after hedge trimmings. :hammerhead: so thanks for that tip...it seems so obvious now...DUH! Ive always hated raking and lightly blowing out beds...You dont even know how that changes my outlook on the impending cleanup season...:cool2:

Also, I thought the new LW was made to be a lot lighter this year and I wonder if that would remove the need to be self propelled and if that changed the entire dependability factor of the units?? :confused:

Even still...I think Im going to go with a used BG with hose attachment and an additional BP blower this year as my seasonal "investment"...

jkason
10-07-2008, 01:57 PM
As to the Billy Goats -
They have three series - KV, MV and VQ.

DON'T, repeat DON'T buy an MV series for professional use. They don't pickup well, fill the bag quick (or not at all if the leaves are the size of my maples) and don't break down the leaves into a managable size. And the hoses get clogged REAL EASY.

That being said, I have never used the KV series or the VQ series, so I cannot speak as to the quality on those units.

J & D Greens
10-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I have a K series Billy Goat, its is a older model. not self propelled. bought it off someone on craigs-list. He had both Self-Propelled and push. I opp-ted for the push because I could save enough for the hose kit. I never used the SP model but I don't think I miss it much. Mine I can push just fine as long as I don't over fill the bag and pull around with the hose getting garden beds cleaned out. Go to their sight they have a visual demo of them in action that sold me when I found mine I had viewed it first and the scrambled for it.

J & D Greens
10-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Guess Billy-Goat has changed their sight I couldn't find the video demo??
Sorry it really sold me. Even though I bought mine used. If I had the money to buy new it would help.

bigbutch
10-07-2008, 06:15 PM
We bought a new one this year. We got the hose kit and the bag liner. We use it to clean up around the building and the beds. It is used to clean up every day were we have construction going on. It has held up well and we will get another one for are remote buildings

Advantage Lawn & Leaf
10-08-2008, 07:45 PM
The Litl wonder is rael powerful but u need to go w/ the push. The SP version will put u through belts and pulleys like you wouldnt believe. The billy goat MV isnt much but the KV is not bad