PDA

View Full Version : hustler Trimstar 48" floating decks

sflannig
10-07-2008, 03:16 AM
Hey i just bought a Hustler 48" trimstar and was wondering if anyone has had problems with the lack of scalping wheels on the deck. there is only 2 in the center on the front of the deck. Would this cause me problems in the future? If so, does hustler sell scalping wheels with mounting brackets so i can add more. I would appreciate your thoughts

SMALLTIME22
10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I picked one up this weekend and have not had any problems. During my demo in july i had no problems with scalping either. Imo hustler might have realized that on a 48" w/b anti-scalp rollers are hardly ever needed. I think the rollers up front are mostly for spindle/blade protection when going up curbs, etc.

Get a caster wheel sulky for this mower -- excellent movement

bags leaves like a dream: Dealer did not have a bracket for the grassgobbler so they loaned me the actual husler catcher....works great. My only complaint is the bulky side plate which the catcher mounts too but the catcher itself seems to have a little more capacity.
Hows the cut?

sflannig
10-22-2008, 02:59 PM
It cuts great. I had been looking for the right opportunity to buy one for the last year or so. I have a jungle wheels sulky that i got with it but am considering selling it to get a proslide xt i had demoed a trimstar with a proslide on it and it was awesome. It really improved my stripes. I bounce too much on the jungle wheels and in makes my stripes look shaky. I am also having a little trouble keeping the mower straight on downhill slopes, it goes up straight but wants to drift when going downhill. have you ever had this problem?

davidcalhoun
10-22-2008, 05:56 PM
I hate it when inertia meets gravity. It's really bad on a gear drive unit.

Have you tried Hustler's Roll-On Striping Suky?

sflannig
10-24-2008, 01:16 PM
i haven't, hows it compare with other sulkies?

naturescape
10-24-2008, 09:05 PM
I hate it when inertia meets gravity. It's really bad on a gear drive unit.

Have you tried Hustler's Roll-On Striping Suky?

I've tried it, it's horrible. I took it back right away, was happy to pay the 25% fee to restock it and pay the freight on it, just to get rid of it.

I DO think I need to look at a Trimstar hydro for next year, but their sulky is the worst.

Proslide XT all the way!

SMALLTIME22
10-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Imo.....a fixed sulky with caster wheels is the only way to go, especially on this mower. The trimstar stripes well as it is. Too much lean on the grass is no good anyway. I bought my trimstar with a sulky (not sure of the manuf.) that has 2 pivot points which move up and down only....no left to right. This is huge when doing anything in reverse, no jumping off the sulky. If you need to know who makes this thing let me know. For a good example check out the sulky sold for the quick dually on the bop website....very similar

naturescape
10-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Too much lean on the grass is no good anyway.

You can roll grass all you want with a Proslide or striping roller and it isn't going to hurt one bit! I have SOME areas that get cut the same pattern every week, year after year (with a walkbehind and Proslide) and they look just as good as lawns I alternate patterns on. I DO offset the wheel pattern every few weeks, but am mowing in the same direction on those areas.

SMALLTIME22
10-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Too much lean is not good for grass.
But to stay on topic - sflanning, check out the caster wheel sulkies out there (trimmer trap bull rider i think) but im sure the proslides are great also.
As for the issues with getting a little loose going downhill, try rotating back just a little when going hills or adjusting the drive chain might help. Just pulling back a little on the handle has served me well

naturescape
10-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Too much lean is not good for grass.

I'm curious as to what your proof of this is? Something you've read? I know most sources proclaim otherwise, but 25 years in this business (and my own results to the contrary) proves to me it's not true. At least in this area.......... and turf grass is pretty fragile here.

SMALLTIME22
10-30-2008, 09:03 AM
We all have our own approach and thats fine - it has opened more doors for me than closed.
Perhaps if my name were bigtime22 i would not have to support that too much lean in grass is not good. Im not here to argue: Simply state that the trimstars stripe well enough as is - key phrase was "imo"
stripes are not bad for grass but completely laying it down over and over in on direction is not good for it either. Fescues do the worst imo, especially in late july and august.
I dont have 25 yrs experience, im 27 and in the 13 yrs ive been doing this i continue to learn. But if i assumed that some newbie w/ only 5 yrs of experience had nothing to teach me.....that might make me more experienced but it would also make me ignorant. Im surrounded right now, by people with 40 or 50 yrs of experience in their feilds and i see it hurt them everyday. Experience is great, its priceless but by no means is it everything
im here to learn, be civil and whatever positive can come from us all sharing this common ground
so when i say too much lean on grass is not good - thats all im saying and am not looking for someone with unresolved (whatever) issues to get all in a bunch over it. Nothing easier than a hot-head
so congratulations on 25 years in the business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you please provide sources to support that repeatedly laying grass down to the ground has no negative affects on grass?

naturescape
10-30-2008, 09:35 AM
We all have our own approach and thats fine - it has opened more doors for me than closed.
Perhaps if my name were bigtime22 i would not have to support that too much lean in grass is not good. Im not here to argue: Simply state that the trimstars stripe well enough as is - key phrase was "imo"
stripes are not bad for grass but completely laying it down over and over in on direction is not good for it either. Fescues do the worst imo, especially in late july and august.
I dont have 25 yrs experience, im 27 and in the 13 yrs ive been doing this i continue to learn. But if i assumed that some newbie w/ only 5 yrs of experience had nothing to teach me.....that might make me more experienced but it would also make me ignorant. Im surrounded right now, by people with 40 or 50 yrs of experience in their feilds and i see it hurt them everyday. Experience is great, its priceless but by no means is it everything
im here to learn, be civil and whatever positive can come from us all sharing this common ground
so when i say too much lean on grass is not good - thats all im saying and am not looking for someone with unresolved (whatever) issues to get all in a bunch over it. Nothing easier than a hot-head
so congratulations on 25 years in the business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you please provide sources to support that repeatedly laying grass down to the ground has no negative affects on grass?

I agree, whatever works for you is great! I'm just refuting a common myth.

Most state agricultural extensions say to rotate cutting patterns, but there are some that do not. My BEST source is my own 25 years of experience. Now, remember, that I do offset my tire path every few weeks, and I DON'T use a rider, but using a Proslide to stripe grass has no ill effects when cutting the same direction week after week. I have lawns with boulevard sections that MUST get cut that same way each week, year after year, that look at good as anything else. (I don't ever cut these areas perpendicularly or on an angle as I do NOT want to turn the mower on the turf that much, or mow into the street, and those areas look NO different than anything else.)

SMALLTIME22
10-30-2008, 10:25 AM
I can agree with that. Im not saying that stripes are bad for grass, but i know they cannot be good for it....definately not the issue that some make it out to be. I do think that the worst thing about repeating patters is rutting and we both use walk behinds so the effect is minimal either way. I also have areas where i have to repeat patterns and see no problems either. Really the only time i have noticed problems is with the fine fescues as late summer comes along. I am big on my stripes but try to use at least 3 patterns on any property using the most efficient twice per month.

You gotta love that turf tracer....its the only one i wanted more than my trimstar
next year i might get lazy and take a seat on a gravely 152xdz and start rutting some lawns - lol

JimQ
10-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Here's a photo of a new 54" floating deck walk-behind. I wonder if it will be the same on the 48"

Notice, no pins. Quick adjust.

Q

SMALLTIME22
10-30-2008, 10:54 AM
I have confirmed with hustler that they will all use chains which i think is a good idea. The 54 will be available with either a 19 or 23 kaw. I have only had my 08 48" for 2 weeks and already want the new one

naturescape
10-30-2008, 02:06 PM
I can agree with that. Im not saying that stripes are bad for grass, but i know they cannot be good for it....definately not the issue that some make it out to be. I do think that the worst thing about repeating patters is rutting and we both use walk behinds so the effect is minimal either way. I also have areas where i have to repeat patterns and see no problems either. Really the only time i have noticed problems is with the fine fescues as late summer comes along. I am big on my stripes but try to use at least 3 patterns on any property using the most efficient twice per month.

You gotta love that turf tracer....its the only one i wanted more than my trimstar
next year i might get lazy and take a seat on a gravely 152xdz and start rutting some lawns - lol

Sounds like we're pretty much in agreement after all. :)

So are you happy w/ that Trimstar or would you rather have the Exmark TT? I love my Exmark TT, but might demo a Trimstar next year. Have you, or anyone, put a mulch kit on the Trimstar? If so, how it is for leaf mulching. Exmark TT w/ full mulch kit is INCREDIBLE.

SMALLTIME22
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I have not had the chance to buy or install a mulch kit on this mower. I dont think it will mulch like an exmark....while the blade speed might be a little faster i think this deck lacks the capacity to really take on a lot of leaves and in my opinion; capacity, blade speed and obviously hp are the core factors with a good mulcher. Sure deck design plays a factor
on the other hand i have never used a mulch kit on anything so someone out there should know better.
I just dont hear from a lot of trimstar users at all
scag, toro and exmark have really really good decks - this one may not be as good but was worth it for 4000.00 out the door w/ sulky and bag and only 11 hrs of use
now it i found a tt for the same? Pending a demo of the tt im almost positive i would have went exmark. But that is not possible and hustler makes a great machine........best machine for the money