PDA

View Full Version : Old Patio Pavers under existing lawn

kwonders
10-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Found what appears to be an old patio consisting of 2"x6"x12" pavers under a customers lawn. They seem to be in a 20'x20' square area and are between 2" and 4" below the surface. The grass seems to be growing fine, although the grass roots really mat up on top of the pavers. Customer wants them removed now that we've discovered them. What is your opinion, would you remove them, tearing up the lawn to get them out, or leave them?

Smallaxe
10-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Pick them up and put the grass back down. Use a flat spade or pitchfork to do less damage to the sod.

mybowtie
10-07-2008, 08:47 PM
if the old sod comes up easy, take it up and reuse...if not rip it all out, fill with topsoil seed or sod....

mngrassguy
10-08-2008, 12:49 AM
If they aren't hurting anything I would leave them there. If the customer wants to pay to get them out, cool. I say more revenue is always good.

Whitey4
10-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Customer wants them removed, and the customer is correct. Just make sure you get pai for the removal. If the turf is viable, it should be easy to strip off and re-install. I have found most times a spade is worse than just a poor man's sod cutter, but in this case, it may work well. Try removing some turf before offering a quote. If it goes easy, fine. If not, they may need a reseeding on bare dirt or sod.You will have to buget for enough top soil to keep it level after the patio stones are removed.