PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to do yall like I do my clients you ask I deliver

Kglenn04
10-07-2008, 06:02 PM
so some of you know that I use My Monte Carlo for a rig well to night at 9pm I will post the pics for you guys gotta run im working now, im doing this from my phone. Come back at 9pm october 7 to see what my rig looks like. thanks guys

dura to the max
10-07-2008, 06:34 PM
so some of you know that I use My Monte Carlo for a rig well to night at 9pm I will post the pics for you guys gotta run im working now, im doing this from my phone. Come back at 9pm october 7 to see what my rig looks like. thanks guys

oooooooooooooook....

davis45
10-07-2008, 06:42 PM
So, you use a CAR to pull your Ryobi and Homelite equipment around? Scrub. I hope Picasso see's this thread, ha.

JB1
10-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm setting here with the beer and popcorn, I just can't wait to see.

RedMax Man
10-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Ok i'll set a reminder on my phone:rolleyes:

kleankutslawn
10-07-2008, 07:27 PM
hahahahahahahahhahaha

dura to the max
10-07-2008, 07:35 PM
give the kid a break. he's excited, be excited for him...

RedMax Man
10-07-2008, 07:37 PM
give the kid a break. he's excited, be excited for him...

He's a geek too. posting from his cell phone. that's pretty neat though, hight tech!

dura to the max
10-07-2008, 07:38 PM
there are many guys on here that do...

P.Services
10-07-2008, 08:21 PM
wow i cant wait.

how old are you?

why are you doing this?

go to school and get a real job this is going to take you no where like that.

AndyTblc
10-07-2008, 10:00 PM
9pm..... pics?

J&R Landscaping
10-07-2008, 10:01 PM
lol, 9:01pm.....

Kglenn04
10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
here are the pics of my rig

dura to the max
10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
wow.......so you dont use the 44" toro...

Kglenn04
10-07-2008, 10:07 PM
and the comment made as to why I am doing this, while I was talking about rigs people wanted to know what I was driving and how I was working, when I told them what my "work truck " was they wanted to see it

lawnpro2210
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
well its a start...
We all started some where i gess.
Keep it up

Kglenn04
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
wow.......so you dont use the 44" toro...

I use and am planing on using the 44" on accounts close to home where I can drive the mower to the job site. I also plan on using it for the fall season by then I hope to have a truck and trailer.

Kglenn04
10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
wow i cant wait.

how old are you?

why are you doing this?

I am 22 and I am doing this because I like the job I like seeing other scapers doing the work but because I really want to meet a different kind of person.

J&R Landscaping
10-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Its a start! Best of luck!

Kglenn04
10-07-2008, 10:19 PM
wow i cant wait.

how old are you?

why are you doing this?

I am in school, I am a business major Iím doing this to learn how it feels to make my own money not really working for someone else, I want to become the person people see in the big house with the nice cars and wonder how it is that that guy got that, I wont just let them guess Ill invite them in, I'll listen to them and advise them, be a mentor to the ones who are serious.

KCfireman
10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
hmmm.......a monte carlo? Im guessing you put a cat-back exhaust system on that and some 22'' rims!:cool2::cool2:

Petr51488
10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I have to know why you wont sell the car and buy a truck?????

Kglenn04
10-07-2008, 10:26 PM
hmmm.......a monte carlo? Im guessing you put a cat-back exhaust system on that and some 22'' rims!:cool2::cool2:

No..... I dont

Kglenn04
10-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I have to know why you wont sell the car and buy a truck?????

Its the first car I ever bought.

Danielslawnservice
10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
well really all you need is a truck or a van!! RAMPS that's what i use and they work great!

P.Services
10-07-2008, 10:50 PM
but your never going to get rich like that. the industry is very well saturated with formidable opponents, you dont stand a chance to get anywhere fast enough to be the guy in the huge house. in order to succeed you need to be moving fast. life is short make $ fast.

im not saying you dont have the right idea or the will to succeed or the righ idea, im just saying starting at the bottom like that and trying to get up to a point and run with the big guys isnt going to happen. you dont see it now but this is only costing you money.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Your off to a good start KGlenn04. Its good to see that you have a goal with this business. I hope by the time I'm 30 to have an F-550 Dump and a huge shop and hopefully be doing this fulltime with plenty of work. And all nice equipment and stuff like that. Just keep working hard at it and you'll get somewhere

Kglenn04
10-07-2008, 11:38 PM
but your never going to get rich like that. the industry is very well saturated with formidable opponents, you dont stand a chance to get anywhere fast enough to be the guy in the huge house. in order to succeed you need to be moving fast. life is short make $ fast.

im not saying you dont have the right idea or the will to succeed or the righ idea, im just saying starting at the bottom like that and trying to get up to a point and run with the big guys isnt going to happen. you dont see it now but this is only costing you money.

you are right, the business is very much saturated. Do not get it wrong, there is a major difference in trying to get rich in a saturated Business and spreading of ones risk I'm all about spreading the risk.

davis45
10-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Those pictures made me laugh.

Petr51488
10-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Its the first car I ever bought.

So? If you want to advance in this business and make a name for yourself, you'll need a truck.

old oak lawn
10-08-2008, 12:05 AM
you have a mower in the trunk of your car! sell the car and buy a truck. :waving:

treegal1
10-08-2008, 12:17 AM
good job kid, don't let them beat you up about the car, I started off in a ford POS cop car, with the light on the side. the big house is a lot of work to keep up and the pool is a PITA to take care of. Any ways do a good job and you will have the truck soon I am sure, that's how most of the lawn guys in here started off, or in some old pick up with out ac, or heat. now they have been at the grind stone long enough that they can bust your nuts about the mower in the trunk. you wont live for ever you old farts!! LOLOL

Grace9508
10-08-2008, 12:41 AM
You need to eat regardless of what it looks like, not everyone is given dads equipment. Keep it up man!

IA_James
10-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Ah, you have to start some place. Alot of people on here seem to forget pushing around their father's 21" as a kid. Hope it works out for you, good luck!

old oak lawn
10-08-2008, 12:51 AM
:laugh:o is he doing this to eat? he is 22 and in school for business something .

Classified
10-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Your off to a good start KGlenn04. Its good to see that you have a goal with this business. I hope by the time I'm 30 to have an F-550 Dump and a huge shop and hopefully be doing this fulltime with plenty of work. And all nice equipment and stuff like that. Just keep working hard at it and you'll get somewhere

Be carefull making goals related to your age. I do that all the time and I had some things happen that derailed all plans. now im close to 30, in an apartment with no kids. I figured I would have a house some kids and a nice garage by now! I also was in a very different line of work but i dont want to take the topic off topic. just felt it was imporant to say that!

Glenn, GL you have a looooooooong road ahead of ya. you need more than a truck right now!

FDuce
10-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Sell the car, use the money to buy a USED S10 or Ranger with a long bed and a somewhat decent USED 5x10 trailer. Pay cash for the trailer and finance part of the truck if you have to. Don't spend money on trimmer/blower racks yet, just put them in the bed of the truck (lock them down with a cable lock if you need to). That should be the most cost effective/usefull/room to expand rig to pull around a 44" mower. The Monte will never work and it will most likely hinder your chances to gain more clients (I wouldn't hire someone who has their equipment stuffed in the truck of a car, it doesn't say professional.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Sell the car, use the money to buy a USED S10 or Ranger with a long bed and a somewhat decent USED 5x10 trailer. Pay cash for the trailer and finance part of the truck if you have to. Don't spend money on trimmer/blower racks yet, just put them in the bed of the truck (lock them down with a cable lock if you need to). That should be the most cost effective/usefull/room to expand rig to pull around a 44" mower. The Monte will never work and it will most likely hinder your chances to gain more clients (I wouldn't hire someone who has their equipment stuffed in the truck of a car, it doesn't say professional.

Good advice FDuce

All_Toro_4ME
10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey KGlenn, glad to see your post. What are you majoring in business school? I think your setup is fine. We were all there, some on here try to be the exception that they were born with the silver spoon and that their story was different, but at the end of the day, you'll find that majority on here started the same way, including me. You learn as you go along, pricing, equipment, tweaks here and there and eventually you have a system that works well for you. Keep it up and keep us posted, always enjoy reading your posts.

punt66
10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
wow, dont know what to say. hahha I owned my own home by 23. get to it! If you want it then do it. But your not trying hard enough. You wont make it with the direction you have taken.

shade tree landscaping
10-08-2008, 10:06 PM
give yourself a few weeks of working with that set up and your car is gonna smell like gas and dirty old grass! I would make buying or trading into a truck a priority! With only a car and no sort of truck you are limiting yourself as far as the type of work you can take on and also the type of customers that will call you for work.

kleankutslawn
10-08-2008, 10:12 PM
just stay focus but you will need a truck in this business.good luck!

LawnBoy89
10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
When you puttin the leaf vac on..

I started out walking behind my 48 belt drive up the street with the blower and weedwacker on the deck within a couple years if you work hard enough youll have more money then youll know what to do with and especially more equiptment then you'll know what to do with, atleast thats the problem I'm having right now. Good luck. Anyone who tells you you can't make money in this business just hasn't thought about it enough, if you do things right you can make money doing anything. I work for UPS for 4 hours every morning to get my health insurance, if they can make the money they make delivering packages then we can do the same thing mowing lawns. The more efficient you are the more money you put in your pocket.

Supper Grassy
10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
what type of phone do you use that you can post on here??? how can you if you use wM 6

bakerc8
10-09-2008, 04:30 PM
defintly get a truck

Kglenn04
10-09-2008, 10:10 PM
give yourself a few weeks of working with that set up and your car is gonna smell like gas and dirty old grass! I would make buying or trading into a truck a priority! With only a car and no sort of truck you are limiting yourself as far as the type of work you can take on and also the type of customers that will call you for work.

I hear you but as I stated before it is the first car I ever bought I keep her clean on the out side as well as the inside, she smell like a Macy's department on a Saturday after noon. but I here what you all are saying and that is why to day I got up at the crack of dawn,and finished mowing the rest of the 45 accounts I hustled for last week and picked this up....... now all I need is a trailer because the "Ramp method" on an F150 not really user friendly my back still hurts.

Kglenn04
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
wow, dont know what to say. hahha I owned my own home by 23. get to it! If you want it then do it. But your not trying hard enough. You wont make it with the direction you have taken.

I gotta tell you I thank you for your honesty maybe you could teach me a thing or two. owned you own home at 23 thats very impressive, I owned my own city residential block at 20

Kglenn04
10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
what type of phone do you use that you can post on here??? how can you if you use wM 6

PPC 6800 "Mogul" by sprint

Kglenn04
10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
When you puttin the leaf vac on..

I started out walking behind my 48 belt drive up the street with the blower and weedwacker on the deck within a couple years if you work hard enough youll have more money then youll know what to do with and especially more equiptment then you'll know what to do with, atleast thats the problem I'm having right now. Good luck. Anyone who tells you you can't make money in this business just hasn't thought about it enough, if you do things right you can make money doing anything. I work for UPS for 4 hours every morning to get my health insurance, if they can make the money they make delivering packages then we can do the same thing mowing lawns. The more efficient you are the more money you put in your pocket.

thank you brother

S man
10-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I like the backpack blower in the back seat of the monte carlo.

Mickhippy
10-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Just get yourself a trailer!

Kglenn04
10-09-2008, 10:44 PM
im trying it is so hard I just bought this truck and now I have to wait ten days for the next cut date. or go and find more new accounts its going to be a long night......

Classified
10-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Nice and congrats on the truck!

dura to the max
10-10-2008, 12:10 AM
much better! nice truck.

W.L.M.
11-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Dont laugh or doubt him, My father started his business in the 70s the same way with a dodge dart, now he has a 60 acre lot, 25 trucks, lots of heavy equipment and around 25 employees. Do your best work and stick with it, someday you could be the same as him.

PHS
11-02-2008, 08:24 AM
owned you own home at 23 thats very impressive, I owned my own city residential block at 20

Hey guys, congratulations to you both. Owning your own house is the best investment you can make. At the same time, anyone with a pulse was a able to get a home loan the last few years. After you've made the payments for 5 years or you actually have some equity in it (I know tons of people upside down hundreds of thousands of $ right now), then you can pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

PerfectEarth
11-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Another tax-paying lawn guy, I'm sure.......... right.

davis45
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Another tax-paying lawn guy, I'm sure.......... right.

Bet so...:laugh:

Green Team Landscaping
11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Sweet man. You're on your way to getting there. 45 accounts I think I read? Nice. Thats pretty good.

Lawnworks
11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
I am in school, I am a business major Iím doing this to learn how it feels to make my own money not really working for someone else, I want to become the person people see in the big house with the nice cars and wonder how it is that that guy got that, I wont just let them guess Ill invite them in, I'll listen to them and advise them, be a mentor to the ones who are serious.

Owning a big house and nice cars doesn't really equate to success. I know lots of people that have nice stuff, but really don't have any wealth.

Kennedy Landscaping
11-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Whats the APV for?

Kglenn04
11-02-2008, 05:21 PM
its another work vehicle

Kglenn04
11-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Dont laugh or doubt him, My father started his business in the 70s the same way with a dodge dart, now he has a 60 acre lot, 25 trucks, lots of heavy equipment and around 25 employees. Do your best work and stick with it, someday you could be the same as him.

wow your dad is on his business, do you think you could get some pictures of his trailers I'm custom building my drop down gate and I'm having trouble with the hinge action.

Kglenn04
11-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Owning a big house and nice cars doesn't really equate to success. I know lots of people that have nice stuff, but really don't have any wealth.

and its wealth that I am aming for somthing I can pass to my kids, kids

Kglenn04
11-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey guys, congratulations to you both. Owning your own house is the best investment you can make. At the same time, anyone with a pulse was a able to get a home loan the last few years. After you've made the payments for 5 years or you actually have some equity in it (I know tons of people upside down hundreds of thousands of $ right now), then you can pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

(I know tons of people upside down hundreds of thousands of $ right now),
do you mean are in debt or have paid it off?

Lawnworks
11-02-2008, 08:02 PM
and its wealth that I am aming for somthing I can pass to my kids, kids

I think when I have kids... they are going to earn there own wealth. Alot of kids(prob none on this site!) these days have absolutely lost the meaning of earning a dollar.

Lawnworks
11-02-2008, 08:03 PM
(I know tons of people upside down hundreds of thousands of $ right now),
do you mean are in debt or have paid it off?

upside down means they owe more than it is worth.

STIHL GUY
11-02-2008, 09:52 PM
why dont you just use the 99' F150 thats in your signature???

Kglenn04
11-03-2008, 11:21 PM
why dont you just use the 99' F150 thats in your signature???

I do its been acting funny lately but runs

Kglenn04
11-03-2008, 11:23 PM
I think when I have kids... they are going to earn there own wealth. Alot of kids(prob none on this site!) these days have absolutely lost the meaning of earning a dollar.

very true I see all these kids in there BMWs and Benz I just think to my self you have no Idea how lucky your are. I bought my first car when I was 19 making $7.15hr took to years to pay it off but It was so worth it makes me feel good too

Lawnworks
11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
very true I see all these kids in there BMWs and Benz I just think to my self you have no Idea how lucky your are. I bought my first car when I was 19 making $7.15hr took to years to pay it off but It was so worth it makes me feel good too

They might not be so lucky at all! Most of those kids don't turn out to be much if Daddy can't get them a job. Doing it the hard way produces a much better final product!

PHS
11-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Kglenn, Like lawnworks said, they owe more on the house than it's worth. When interest rates were dropping so low that stimulates a dramatic increase in housing prices. Couple that with the fact that lenders were giving money to people who didn't qualify for jury duty and now there are so many foreclosures and houses on the market that the price of houses is dropping wildly from their peak.

That's how people are in the position of making a mortgage payment on a house in some cases that's worth half of what they're paying for it. In other cases people took out 'interest only' loans. I know people that got into those that would brag about being homeowners when the truth of the matter is that they didn't even own the door knob to the house!

That's why I say in today's market, just having bought a house in the last couple years doesn't say much. Could just mean you're royally screwed with debt or bankrupt. For new homeowners the real trick is hanging on to it through this downturn and coming out on the other side breaking even or hopefully having some positive equity.

South Florida Lawns
11-10-2008, 02:39 AM
dang how did I miss this one? Great start, guess a car is better than walking or pulling a wagon. 40+ lawns is a great start though.

JShe8918
11-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey i speak from experience... My mom has given me everything i have ever wanted and more.... I turned out good and responsible. I mean i was never grounded in my high school years. I went to Clarke Prepatory which is the most prestige private school for 3 counties and was also the biggest party school. My grad class was 26 and we knew what was expected of us. We were under the understanding of we were spoiled until graduation and that was all. Most of the peoples parents would drop them on the a** if they didn't go to college. So not all spoiled kids are bad. I mean i have a landscaping company and also a full time student.... So it depends on the geographical area. We live semi rural lives and everyone knows what is expected....

IA_James
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey i speak from experience... My mom has given me everything i have ever wanted and more.... I turned out good and responsible. I mean i was never grounded in my high school years. I went to Clarke Prepatory which is the most prestige private school for 3 counties and was also the biggest party school. My grad class was 26 and we knew what was expected of us. We were under the understanding of we were spoiled until graduation and that was all. Most of the peoples parents would drop them on the a** if they didn't go to college. So not all spoiled kids are bad. I mean i have a landscaping company and also a full time student.... So it depends on the geographical area. We live semi rural lives and everyone knows what is expected....

Doesn't look like your folks got their money's worth, at least in English.

PROCUT1
11-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Coming from someone who started from the bottom......Flew to the top.....Hit the bottom....and back up again......

Nothing matters but what you have in your pocket or bank account at the end of the day.

Regardless of many peoples opinions on here.....Image is NOT everything.

Image is the number 1 thing that will get you into trouble in this business.

We all want the F-550s, lettered up enclosed trailers, ZTRs and such.

MANY of us place too much importance on that TOO SOON.

Its very easy to get caught up in "image" and lose track of the bottom line.

I did it...And boy did i get a hard lesson on debt..

The biggest lesson is to keep your eye on the money.

As simple as that sounds....In reality its really hard and takes a lot of discipline. That is why the majority of small businesses fail. Not because the lack of customers, and not because the owners dont work hard.

They lose track of the basics.

Mow the lawn for $40
Pay your bills
Save the $10 left over.

Stay conservative. Think hard about every purchase.

Credit is good.....However it will play mind games with you.

You will look at that new trailer and figure the payments and say to yourself "well i only have to cut 2 lawns a week to pay for it"

Its a trap.

The best educated, smartest, best intentioned owners fall into it.

Image will come with time.

Go out and make money.....Forget everyone else.....

Cut the grass....Pay your bills.....Save

Its as simple as that....There is no "secret" to success.

I wish i would have listened years ago to my own advice.

Lawnworks
11-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Coming from someone who started from the bottom......Flew to the top.....Hit the bottom....and back up again......

Nothing matters but what you have in your pocket or bank account at the end of the day.

Regardless of many peoples opinions on here.....Image is NOT everything.

Image is the number 1 thing that will get you into trouble in this business.

We all want the F-550s, lettered up enclosed trailers, ZTRs and such.

MANY of us place too much importance on that TOO SOON.

Its very easy to get caught up in "image" and lose track of the bottom line.

I did it...And boy did i get a hard lesson on debt..

The biggest lesson is to keep your eye on the money.

As simple as that sounds....In reality its really hard and takes a lot of discipline. That is why the majority of small businesses fail. Not because the lack of customers, and not because the owners dont work hard.

They lose track of the basics.

Mow the lawn for $40
Pay your bills
Save the $10 left over.

Stay conservative. Think hard about every purchase.

Credit is good.....However it will play mind games with you.

You will look at that new trailer and figure the payments and say to yourself "well i only have to cut 2 lawns a week to pay for it"

Its a trap.

The best educated, smartest, best intentioned owners fall into it.

Image will come with time.

Go out and make money.....Forget everyone else.....

Cut the grass....Pay your bills.....Save

Its as simple as that....There is no "secret" to success.

I wish i would have listened years ago to my own advice.

You hit it right on the head. Image really is nothing.

I know of some companies that do a few million in gross revenue... but do not even have a positive net worth. Of course, they have a great image... F550s painted in companies colors, the newests skids and equipment... but a few missed payments and they are history.