PDA

View Full Version : Help from the Scag guys?

WPLE
10-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I am asking for some input on a Wildcat 61" with a 26 horse LC Kawi. Does anybody currently run this setup that would share the ins and outs of this machine? Does the 26 kawi offer enough power.

I have also been shot an out the door price of 12,500 for mower, clamshell, and suspension seat. Mower base price is 9,199.00. How does these numbers sound to everybody?

I.M. Green
10-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I know you asked for a scag guy which I'm not, I have nothing against them just never had the opportunity to use one very much. Anyhow for that size mower and that much money I would see if you have a Kubota dealer near buy. You should be able to get a 60" with a 33hp diesel for about the same price. It would definitely have the power for it. Just my thoughts. Sorry if I hijack your thread though...

P.Services
10-07-2008, 08:06 PM
thats not a real good price on it. i would try to get something with more hp. i have a 29dfi on my tiger and it has just enough power but i wouldnt want anything less.

Fourstar Lawnscaping
10-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I have that exact mower I have no problem with power the bagger may bog it down alittle.

dura to the max
10-07-2008, 09:35 PM
dont know much about the TT (i thought the thread might be on wb's which i know some about). anyway, the one guy said look at kubota, my neighbor just got a 60" kubota w/ the diesel motor and i cant stand it. the motor is loud as heck, and the ride is horrible. i cannot stand that mower, and would hate to see anyone put down that kind of money on a POS.

chilibean
10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I am a long time Scag owner and have 2 turf tigers. I had a demo wildcat 61 with a kawi (may have been a 26hp not sure) but i will be very honest. I love this mower, i was shocked at how much i liked it. I never considered a wildcat untill i used one, it is a really great mower. Don't pay that price though, the dealers around me only want a little over 9K. I could of had the demo for $7800.
I also tried the Lazer AS and there is no comparison the scag wins hands down (Lazer cuts better though). I ended up with a true Lazer 60" 27KOH for 10K ONLY because i had to finance it and EXMARK has got some KILLER deals on financing. The scag was through sheffield and i have been raped by sheff. for over 15yrs and i will not give them another dime.
Turf Tigers are way to overpriced nowadays (best mower on the market) but i will not pay 12k for a mower. I am going to trade em in every 2yrs from now on. The 2 Tigers i have now are nickle and dimin' me to death.

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE
10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
mower = 9199.00
clamshell = 2699.00
suspension seat = 499.00
+ tax/set up/finance fee?

sounds like they are taking pretty good care of you! enjoy it, you will not be disappointed in the quality

WPLE
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, I am not one to trade or sell equipment everyother year or anything, so I am looking at this like a long term investment. This is why I want to make sure I get what I want and will still be working five seasons from now.

Keep the comments coming...please

jkingrph
10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Earlier this year my dealer had a 52"Wildcat, I know not the 61" for $7500 Clamshell I cannot comment about.

Scgentlman1
10-07-2008, 10:24 PM
I just purchased the wildcat 61" with 26 kohler,also the clamshell system for $11,400 out the door, I really enjoy the machine,

nosparkplugs
10-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I know you asked for a scag guy which I'm not, I have nothing against them just never had the opportunity to use one very much. Anyhow for that size mower and that much money I would see if you have a Kubota dealer near buy. You should be able to get a 60" with a 33hp diesel for about the same price. It would definitely have the power for it. Just my thoughts. Sorry if I hijack your thread though...

From a EX SCAG OWNER
Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about Scag, their on average overpriced machines, and anyone that can justfy or is willing to blindly spend that higher price knowing their are comparable machines with more standard features, and higher HP engines for less, must not be effected buy these hard economic times more power to you.

If you must bag purchase A Walker MT their cheaper:laugh:

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I think that deal sounds fair, and you will like the wildcat for sure.

The wildcat comes with a pretty nice seat to begin with, I would say try the mower without the suspension seat and if you still want one then order one from Northern Tool for 300$ as it is the same exact seat Scag sells just a different color. I upgraded to a suspension seat on my newest Scag and can't say I am sure I like it or not.... the suspension seat has extremely firm padding in the seat and offers no plushness to it, it relies on the suspension to give a cushy ride, where as the wildcats stock seat is thick and softly padded and is supported by springs just like the seat in a car or truck, not just foam on a piece of plywood like the stock seats on a typical mower.

Bear in mind that there is not much difference between a Wildcat and a Tigercub, just the seat.... runflat front tires..... hydro cooler..... foldable ROPS..... elsewise a Tigercub is the same mower just a bit cheaper.

Not sure about the power with a bagger system, but without the bagger that would be plenty of power for all but the most extreme conditions. Don't let the powerjunkies talk you into thinking that isn't enough power, my first 61 inch ZTR rider ( a bobcat I bought new sometime around 1997-1998 ) had a 20 horsepower Kolher on it and I never had the first problem with power or lack of.

echo8287
10-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Not your exact mower but> I bought a TT 52" with a 27 Hp Kohler. It came with the seat like on a Wildcat>not suspension. It works fine and I like it. I got the triple bagger,instead of the clamshell(which I wanted) cause the dealer had one in stock and sold it to me for 1750. This mower was a demo,looked new (had a few scratches on the fender). I got the whole deal for $10,000 inc tax. I think the mower was $7650. I think the Scags are worth the money. They are built like tanks. I can stand on the corner of the mower deck and it doesn't budge(I weigh 250).Mine had a trailer hitch on it and the dealer gave me a couple of sets of new blades,changed oil,transmission fluid,blades,battery and all filters since it was a demo with 90 hrs. David

powerequippro
10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Just a quick reply..not talking price, but the new Velocity deck will out cut just about anything out there. Also, once a mower starts nickle and diming you (ie; down time) its time to sell it or use it as a back up and replace it. Downtime costs a lot more than overpyaing for a mower. Its all about Productivty anyway! I am a long time Scag owner and have 2 turf tigers. I had a demo wildcat 61 with a kawi (may have been a 26hp not sure) but i will be very honest. I love this mower, i was shocked at how much i liked it. I never considered a wildcat untill i used one, it is a really great mower. Don't pay that price though, the dealers around me only want a little over 9K. I could of had the demo for $7800.
I also tried the Lazer AS and there is no comparison the scag wins hands down (Lazer cuts better though). I ended up with a true Lazer 60" 27KOH for 10K ONLY because i had to finance it and EXMARK has got some KILLER deals on financing. The scag was through sheffield and i have been raped by sheff. for over 15yrs and i will not give them another dime.
Turf Tigers are way to overpriced nowadays (best mower on the market) but i will not pay 12k for a mower. I am going to trade em in every 2yrs from now on. The 2 Tigers i have now are nickle and dimin' me to death.

Mike Blevins
10-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I have owned the following Scags. 52" Wildcat 25 hp kaw, 52" Turf Tiger 23 liquid cooled kaw, 36" hydro walk-behind, and now own the 61" dfi Turf tiger. I miss my 52" wildcat sometimes in my smaller yards. The 52" wildcat cut great but the new velocity plus is an awsome designed deck. The 61" has definately cut down on time this season and have saved a some money on gas also. The price sounds a little high compared to prices around this area. Buy looking at different posts on here about Scag pricing you can guess that it varies greatly depending the area and dealer mark-up. The Scag is the best choice you can make in my oipinion. I have used Deere,Exmark,Etc. and Demoed a few more and always went back to the Scag. Its like they say "simply the best". Unless you have alot of bigger accounts I would look at the 52" Wildcat 26 liquid cooled kaw. These I feel are one of the best mowers out there. (Bulletproof design,warranties,best resale value,and the list goes on. You won't regret it! :usflag:

WPLE
10-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, if I had to say my average account is 1 1/2 acres. I have known for a while that I would be purchasing a new machine for next season so I paid pretty close attention to the obstacles in my accounts. I counted maybe five places that I would not be able to get with a 61" that I currently get with the 54". I have a 4 accounts that are pushing 4 acres so I can not justify going down in deck size.

Mike Blevins
10-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the replies, if I had to say my average account is 1 1/2 acres. I have known for a while that I would be purchasing a new machine for next season so I paid pretty close attention to the obstacles in my accounts. I counted maybe five places that I would not be able to get with a 61" that I currently get with the 54". I have a 4 accounts that are pushing 4 acres so I can not justify going down in deck size.

Then I would definately look at the 27 kohler 61" Turf Tiger also. There shouldn't be that much difference in price. At least there isn't here. Your getting shaft driven deck,bigger pumps, bigger frame, better hill stabilty,etc.

jkingrph
10-09-2008, 09:54 PM
I have heard a lot of comments about the seats. My WIldcat was purchased in 2006 so does not have suspension seat but the standard seat is very very comfortable, more so than the chairs we use a work. The velocity deck gives an excellent cut, I have noticed with the 27hp LC Kaw. on my 52" deck I can make it lug a but in heavy somewhat wet grass if I use the super high lift blades, standard lift blades are no problem. I am so pleased with this mower I would purchase another

nosparkplugs
10-09-2008, 10:35 PM
:I have heard a lot of comments about the seats. My WIldcat was purchased in 2006 so does not have suspension seat but the standard seat is very very comfortable, more so than the chairs we use a work. The velocity deck gives an excellent cut, I have noticed with the 27hp LC Kaw. on my 52" deck I can make it lug a but in heavy somewhat wet grass if I use the super high lift blades, standard lift blades are no problem. I am so pleased with this mower I would purchase another

I could make the Scag Tiger Cub 20hp Kohler's 48" velocity deck lug all day long residential or commercial mulch or SD, clumps all over my accounts. The Velocity decks are nothing special lots of blow out, at any baffle setting. I begg to differ the standard seat:laugh:, please I went to Wal-Mart the first month, to purchase a boat cushion, the Scags beat the crap out of you.

I suggest having an open mind look at other midmout ZTR's, make sure to compare apples to apples, and Scag can be equaled in quality, toughness, and easily beat in standard features, higher hp engine options, and prices.

bigyazooriver
10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
In regards to the original question, that price seems high. I don't mean to discourage you getting clamshell, it might be well worth it on your accounts but think about is it really worth it over putting mulch blades and cover on? Same for seat, its a zeroturn, not a cadillac.

FYI for fellow Mississippian, (read below)

You would be buying from a dealer that gets all inventory from Hattiesburg, MS. They set the price I believe for LA and MS Scag dealers. I just bought a 52" Scag TT for less than $9,000, tax included. However, I understand all prices went up a couple hundred bucks the last month or so.

Suggestions...You need to call around and get people willing to make a sale and mention you had can get better deals elsewhere. It is exactly like buying a car. The dealers hate it, but they have to understand you will be bringing them way more business in the future. They have quarterly meetings where I may get in trouble in saying this, but it is basically collusion. They get offended when they find out you can get a better deal elsewhere when it is lower than their "price sheet" and get angry at other dealers and YOU when you mention this. Seriously! But don't let it bother you. Here's the deal, they, the dealers, want to be best friends when a potential customer wants to buy a mower and say the price is uniform whether you buy from them or not, but yet if you do buy from another dealer (cheaper) and have to bring it to a another dealer for service, etc. they give you gripe, won't order parts right away, put in the back of the line, yada yada, and even go so far as to THREATEN to not honor your warranty. It is childish how some act. But there are some good ones out there. Just research.

A sound businessman, just like ourselves, cuts cost and realizes customer service is key to repeat transactions. Whether you buy a mower from one particular dealer or not, get the best deal. Scags, Exmarks, and Kubota are all gonnna treat your right if you maintain. Off soapbox...hope it helps.

dozerdogue
10-21-2008, 03:11 PM
dont know much about the TT (i thought the thread might be on wb's which i know some about). anyway, the one guy said look at kubota, my neighbor just got a 60" kubota w/ the diesel motor and i cant stand it. the motor is loud as heck, and the ride is horrible. i cannot stand that mower, and would hate to see anyone put down that kind of money on a POS.

Well if your neighbor just bought a new 300 series Kubota you would know that the diesel is quieter than a 25hp kawasaki and the ride is incredible. The seats on the Kubota are the most comfortable seats on any mower I have tried. As far as it being a POS what mower brand may I ask do you have? I have had close to them all and or used them all and will tell you it is one of the best if not the best mower I have ever used.

chuck bow
10-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I have run scag for 15 yrs and there isnt noway that they can be beat in toughness and quality velo plus deck is a great deck and i have had no problem cutting in wet /damp grass i currently have 4 Scags in the stable ready to cut on a moments notice and one has 2200 hrs on it Dependable dependable is all i can say

jemvai
10-21-2008, 09:28 PM
I just bought the last 08 Wildcat that my shop had, about a month ago. With a 3 bagger and strip kit It was 11,500 out the door.it is a 52 though.

Scag just had a big price increase for 09, wildcat went up 1000.00 bucks, bagger went up like 600.00....crazy!

base price for the wildcat was 8999.00

out

WPLE
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM
In regards to the original question, that price seems high. I don't mean to discourage you getting clamshell, it might be well worth it on your accounts but think about is it really worth it over putting mulch blades and cover on? Same for seat, its a zeroturn, not a cadillac.

FYI for fellow Mississippian, (read below)

You would be buying from a dealer that gets all inventory from Hattiesburg, MS. They set the price I believe for LA and MS Scag dealers. I just bought a 52" Scag TT for less than $9,000, tax included. However, I understand all prices went up a couple hundred bucks the last month or so.

Suggestions...You need to call around and get people willing to make a sale and mention you had can get better deals elsewhere. It is exactly like buying a car. The dealers hate it, but they have to understand you will be bringing them way more business in the future. They have quarterly meetings where I may get in trouble in saying this, but it is basically collusion. They get offended when they find out you can get a better deal elsewhere when it is lower than their "price sheet" and get angry at other dealers and YOU when you mention this. Seriously! But don't let it bother you. Here's the deal, they, the dealers, want to be best friends when a potential customer wants to buy a mower and say the price is uniform whether you buy from them or not, but yet if you do buy from another dealer (cheaper) and have to bring it to a another dealer for service, etc. they give you gripe, won't order parts right away, put in the back of the line, yada yada, and even go so far as to THREATEN to not honor your warranty. It is childish how some act. But there are some good ones out there. Just research.

A sound businessman, just like ourselves, cuts cost and realizes customer service is key to repeat transactions. Whether you buy a mower from one particular dealer or not, get the best deal. Scags, Exmarks, and Kubota are all gonnna treat your right if you maintain. Off soapbox...hope it helps.

Thanks for the help guys, mower should be here tomorrow or thursday.