PDA

View Full Version : Plant suggestion???

Sweet Tater
10-07-2008, 08:05 PM
I hate to post this in the mowing forum, but it seems no one replies in the landscape forum, so I am asking:

I have a customer asking me to do some landscaping for her and I don't have much of a clue. In the front lawn there is a 200 year old oak stump that at this time we cannot move. Btw this is an area historic home. There is an area of dirt and grass (weeds) about 3 ft around the stump. My question is we want to put something evergreen around it to hide the stump which is about 4ft tall, something that flowers would be nice, and multiplies and thickens fast would also be nice. nothing that grows say over 6 ft as this is on a stop sign corner and could be an issue if its too big. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. btw we are in North East Ms zone 7 I believe.

billslawn89
10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
why don't you just cut down the stump?

IN2MOWN
10-07-2008, 08:18 PM
why don't you just cut down the stump?

Agreed. Just call a stump grinder and then start planting when its gone.

mississippiturf
10-07-2008, 08:30 PM
If grinding or cutting the stump is not an option, I would suggest getting with your local yard and garden center (not Home Depot) and have a talk with the pros about options. Dwarf azaleas come to my mind.

Weed control on the inside of whatever you plant around the stump could become an issue.

dura to the max
10-07-2008, 08:40 PM
thats a hard one. its hard to plant around the stump to hide it w/o making it look like a sore thumb...idk what to tell you.

mississippiturf, i wouldnt worry too much about weed control. if he can get plants in there that look decent and dont look awkward he's doing good. weeds aint a big deal IMO

IN2MOWN
10-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Also the problem about planting around a stump is the bugs and weeds. Bugs are going to want to live in that stump and they will eventually start eating and destroying the plants IF the roots from the stump dont ****** the growth of the plants first.

I.M. Green
10-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I would agree with getting out and if not you will have weed and bug issues. BUT if all you can do is plant around it and IF it is an option in your area I would say Blue Plumbago (not sure of the spelling)...

Sweet Tater
10-07-2008, 11:00 PM
As for the stump it has been cut for several years now, however being oak it still isn't rotten. Removing is an issue mostly in cost. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow before we start the initial cleaning up. I am still in the planning faze of this sooo. Some one suggested using clematis and let it just grow all over the stump, eventually making it look like a big snow ball when in bloom.
I am not a trained Landscaper so this is going to take a bit to get planned a right. Its not a HUGE job but will be lots of work and will let me see if I want to learn to landscape too. Thank you guys for being understanding of a dummy in this matter and helping out with the suggestions. I knew I could count on LS for understanding and information.

Sweet Tater
10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Heres some pics of the property I'll be starting soon. Its an 1864 right downtown.
The stump in question measures 2ft tall by 4ft across.
In the 3rd pic at the bumper of my truck is a trash tree that is hiding the stump from the street side. I am planning of removing everything except the stump, rebuilding the border around it (which is a 15 ft half circle) then maybe planting clematis around the stump. comments and or suggestions.
ps, the right side of the house as you look at the first pic is phase one, hope to start in a week.

Ooomwizard
10-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Get some pots with Ivy and drap them down the sides.

Maybe make a center piece out of it.

IN2MOWN
10-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I would cut that thing out as quick as I could. Its ruining the sidewalk and it looks like crap.

What kind of idiot would plant a tree there?

garnersgardening
10-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I would get a stum grinder to remove it. If paying someone to do it is to much check into renting one and the cost of that. Then I would check at a local nursery for natives to your area. Since it is a historic area natives will look very nice around it. Plus you would not have to worry about them dyeing since they are from the area. If a nursery can't help check with the nearest botanical gardens. They usually have trained horticulturalist there and can be a great resourse.

Sweet Tater
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh no, don't mention ivy at that house. I have sooooo much of that english ivy to clear around there. I am not een sure it can all be eradicated.

Sweet Tater
10-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I would cut that thing out as quick as I could. Its ruining the sidewalk and it looks like crap.

What kind of idiot would plant a tree there?

It was there almost 150 years ago, the side walk came many years later and the road was dirt then.
I agree it looks like crap, but the customer doesn't want to fool with removing it yet, so its a case of hiding it and making it look as pretty as can.

garnersgardening
10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't use Ivy either and deffinently nothing in pots. That close to the road you are asking for some young kid to knock it over. Plus a few pots there and no where else in the yard would look bad. The post about some plumbago would look nice but you will need to make sure it is a perenial there. Just because it is a perenial here in Texas doesn't mean it is else where. I would deffinently find natives if I were you.

IN2MOWN
10-08-2008, 07:18 PM
It was there almost 150 years ago, the side walk came many years later and the road was dirt then.
I agree it looks like crap, but the customer doesn't want to fool with removing it yet, so its a case of hiding it and making it look as pretty as can.

The problem is that you will always get those leads coming out of it so you or them will be cutting them back constantly.

If you cant grind it out cut it down as low you can with a chainsaw.

CLARK LAWN
10-08-2008, 07:35 PM
u can probably get it ground out for under 200 dollars it will end up costing more in the long run trying to just hide it.

billslawn89
10-08-2008, 09:38 PM
do it right the first time and grind the stump down and then do your plantings! don't put a band-aide on it!

Sweet Tater
10-08-2008, 10:44 PM
but she won't pay to grind it. I want to but she won't, so I have no choice :nono:

mississippiturf
10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
dynamite:hammerhead:

Sweet Tater
10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
dynamite:hammerhead:

The police dept right next door would love that :laugh:

Ooomwizard
10-08-2008, 11:20 PM
This sometimes works:

Get charcoal and make a fire on top of it. It may take more than one burning application bt it will work if the stump is dry enough. And, it looks pretty dry.

GL!

Sweet Tater
10-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Now that might be a possibility. I'll check with the Fire dept if its legal.

Turf Dawg
10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
If you can not get rid of the stump I think Giant Liriope would be a good option. I also thought a Pavestone ring filled with dirt and planted would be an option, but if they do not want to pay for stump grinding this will be out also.

RonB
10-09-2008, 11:18 PM
It's hard to tell in the pic but is it like this .. the street, the stump, the sidewalk, then the yard. If so, it might not be the customers responsibility.

Check with the city works dept. They might remove it.

topsites
10-10-2008, 12:20 AM
That's not a trash tree lol
it's the stump, it is still alive.

Those shoots are from that very tree, the roots are still active and they're sprouting.

The problem is that you will always get those leads coming out of it so you or them will be cutting them back constantly.

Yeah.

There's another problem...
If that tree's root system starts to decompose it could leave a BIG hole.
That is, big enough to affect that road, possibly in a very bad way, if the root system is large enough
it could create a sinkhole big enough to fit a car into. And I'm not trying to scare anyone
nor am I sure if this has any relevance but I thought I'd mention it.

Whoever cut it down anyway?

mngrassguy
10-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Here, a stump in the right of way is the cities problem. They would grind it out. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Sweet Tater
10-10-2008, 10:12 PM
It's hard to tell in the pic but is it like this .. the street, the stump, the sidewalk, then the yard. If so, it might not be the customers responsibility.

Check with the city works dept. They might remove it.

Yes, thats exactly the layout. It never crossed my mind that might be right-of-way. I'll stop at city hall (next door to the house) and ask. Thank you very much for that thought.