PDA

View Full Version : Gator dust residue

mzgloves20
10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
What the safest thing to use to get the white haze off of a rose colored flagstone? I've used the super sand and gator dust numerous times before and this is the only time I had any discoloration. I spent 20 mins dusting and brooming and wiping a 10x10 flagstone pad before misting the joints.

I left and the color appeared normal and the next the customer called and said they had a white haze....

Paver Gangster
10-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Gator Dust and Supersand is cheap shite, use Techniseal Polymeric sand next time

mzgloves20
10-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks, local suppliers dont have it around here.

Any suggestions?

Dreams To Designs
10-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Contact the Supersand rep and ask for his approved suggestion, first. Whatever you do, test on a small area or scrap first. If this is natural stone, your treatment maybe unique to that stone. Are you able to feel the sand particles adhered to the stone or is it more like a haze or dust?

Kirk

Reconwalls
10-09-2008, 10:47 AM
The same thing happens to bluestone. I used a acid wash and scrubbed. It worked ok. I believe if you would put a breathable sealer down it would hide the residue. Spray the stone with water and see if you see it. When i sprayed it. It was not there.

GATOR DUST SAYS THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT. I SAY BS. I would always try a junk piece of stone before i put any polymeric sand down.

mzgloves20
10-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Contact the Supersand rep and ask for his approved suggestion, first. Whatever you do, test on a small area or scrap first. If this is natural stone, your treatment maybe unique to that stone. Are you able to feel the sand particles adhered to the stone or is it more like a haze or dust?

Kirk

It is a white haze that lessens when wet. Kinda milky looking. The stone is a rose (ish) color so it's noticable.

tcalb2
10-12-2008, 03:22 PM
I had a similar issue with the gator dust, in regards to unilocks hudson valley. I used it because the joints were conisitantly wider then usual. I'll attach some photos. All in all I ended up power washing the whole job and using super sand instead. Hasn't caused a problem yet. good luck

mzgloves20
10-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I like that pad!

The customer wanted wider joints so I used the Gator Dust. I don't plan on dealing with this in the future...

Sucks getting other products around here becuse the supply places are also the largest installers in my area. They sell what they use and vice versa...

Did the haze come off the stone ok when you power washed?

Paver Gangster
10-13-2008, 12:17 AM
I have to echo the sentiments. Aces all around on the patio, you squeezed every design element out of that product and got 110% worth. Excellent job.

tcalb2
10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Yea I was able to get most all the residue off with a home depot qaulity electric pressure washer. 1800 psi I think max. I ended up blowing out all the joints and putting in super sand and there hasn't been a problem yet. I'll see it this spring and let you know when I go back and seal it.

tcalb2
10-14-2008, 06:50 PM
It wasn't until after I read the package of gator dust and it says that it may leave a residue on concrete products. You live and learn. This mistake cost me 2 days labor and 5 bags of poly sand. Won't use that product ever again ha. good luck.