PDA

View Full Version : You missed one

Malibu landscape
10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
What is your policy on returning to replace 1 bulb that you apparently missed during a maintenance service.
The home is 35 miles away in a area that I don't normally service so a special trip is required.
client only wants occasional maintenance upon request (once every 18 months or so).
Plants were so overgrown that we couldn't see the fixture .

I am going to take the hit and replace it at my expense this time.
Just wondering how you guys handle this.
Thanks

ericmcj31
10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
if you just plain-out missed it, I would go back and not charge--if you missed it b/c the plants are overgrown, then I would say the homeowner should pay a service call--Next time when he/she called, I would make sure to ask if the plants were overgrown or trimmed back to a height they needed to be.

The Lighting Geek
10-07-2008, 10:25 PM
It doesn't matter why, you missed it. The customer pays to get a job done to completion and great customer service would be to get it done at no charge.

Lite4
10-08-2008, 10:27 AM
If I missed it, I would be going back and replacing at my expense. It is my job to ask the homeowner about fixture placement if I am not familiar with the site or do a complete inspection of all nooks and crannies.

JoeyD
10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
you got to bite the bullet and go back to replace it. Unless they are really cool and understand then you could probably send them a lamp. I always suggest you leave a small lamp package with them at the end of install so that way they have a few lamps in case of an emergency where they need a single lamp replaced before a party or event or simply to prevent a chain reaction burnout.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Certainly if you installed the system then you should have known where all the fixtures are right? Either way you need to get out there and take care of it. Doing so builds goodwill with the client that will go a long way to promote your service to their peers long after the cost of the trip is forgotten.

Have a great day.

Dreams To Designs
10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
If there is time enough to go back and do it again, there was enough time the first time.

Mistakes happen, it all in how you handle it that makes the difference.

Joey, I get nervous when homeowners start opening fixtures to relamp. The next thing you know their opening up a transformer and sticking a screwdriver around.

Kirk

JoeyD
10-09-2008, 11:00 AM
If there is time enough to go back and do it again, there was enough time the first time.

Mistakes happen, it all in how you handle it that makes the difference.

Joey, I get nervous when homeowners start opening fixtures to relamp. The next thing you know their opening up a transformer and sticking a screwdriver around.

Kirk

I'm not saying it should be common practice. Reality is though there are some pretty handy homeonwers out there who can change a light bulb. Especially if you show them and you leave them with a lamp replacement package. I think you get a good grasp on whether or not the homeowner is somewhat mechaniclly inclined or not. Again, as long as they have the proper lamps its not like changing a lamp is rocket science. The only issue is when they replace lamps with the incorrect wattages or they use inferior lamps that cause continual burnout.

I feel like you should educate the customer enough that they understand the importance of keeping the integrity of the system togeather and that they should never touch a Transformer or connection. But again a lot of homeowners do have a clue and can handle resetting their timers and can re lamp. I am not saying they should do it just saying some are capable. Hell if I can change the starter in my diesel I can probably handle changing a light bulb in my outdoor lgighting fixture. But again, in the scenario first posted I did say you should bite the bullet and go back, thats just good customer service and will go a long way with the homeowner to show you will do right by making good on a job you pormised to do and do correctly.

Malibu landscape
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
I made the 70 mile round trip today to change the alleged missed bulb. I get there and the bulb in question was from an old system that was disconnected long ago. The fixture doesn't even match the ones I installed :cry:
Thanks alot for the advice guys-:rolleyes:

Tomwilllight
10-09-2008, 10:25 PM
You did the right thing...

And make sure the client remembers and understands what you did by reminding them, in a nice way, with an invoice that shows a N/C for the service.

Tom

Malibu landscape
10-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Actually I gave a follow up call to the client. She appreciated me coming out and apologized for sending me on a wild goose chase.

Tomwilllight
10-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Very good!!! I hope you are rewarded with solid references.

Tom

Malibu landscape
10-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks Tom. That's very nice for you to say.

David Gretzmier
10-11-2008, 03:16 PM
This reminds me of a system I installed a few years ago- had a call the system was not working, got there, and it works. Homeowner says it was not working last night. I come back out that night, working. 3 nights later, same thing, it's out, can you come, come out, not home but system is on. WTF? On the 4th visit I figure it out- The switch that turns on the carriage lamps by the garage also turns on the outdoor outlet that I plugged into during install. it was pure luck that the lights were on and the outlet was hot the day I did the install. 4 visits and who paid for them ? who paid to move the trans to hot outlet ? yours truly.

klkanders
10-11-2008, 08:09 PM
David, Your story reminds me of a brother-in-laws fridge that worked off and on.
On when he turned the light on in the basement to go get something.
Off when he left the basement. :)

Keith

EOL
10-16-2008, 12:51 PM
David, Your story reminds me of a brother-in-laws fridge that worked off and on.
On when he turned the light on in the basement to go get something.
Off when he left the basement. :)

Keith

That sux. Hot beer. Well I am glad he figured that out. There is nothing worse than going to your fridge for a cold one and find out it is hot.

klkanders
10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey Efrain! You got that right! How have you been? How is business? Are you making the trip to the conference again?

Take Care!

Keith